Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade lures, how to?

Options
  • 02-06-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a pointer on how to make lures? I've searched the web and found fluck all.
    Some graphical examples are what I'm looking for.
    A good book is probably the answer, so if nothing else please pass on some recommendations.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

What kind of lures?
    Flies, spinners, spoons, plugs, jigs?
    What species are you fishing for?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Not really looking to make spoons but spinners and feathers.

it's a bit of shore/pier fishing I'm interested in so lures like mackeral feathers and anything else required for shore fish pollack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

You can make any lures really, You just have to buy the parts and there are loads of books and stuff on the web that'll give you step by step guides like lego

http://www.make-your-own-fishing-lures.com/

What you'll really need are hooks,beads swivels and some other little finicky bits and bobs you cna buy for almost nothing in any fishing store. All the competetion anglers make their own rigs and lures. At the same time its almost as cheap to buy them but you can get a sense of satisfaction from using yor own.

I've only ever made my own feathers. Which work fro Mackeral. Macks will take nearly anything, bright or shiny, You hear of them taking unbaited hooks. Some people say that white feathers work best or hokais (pricier) and spinning red and silver. Pollack will take similiar.

The ones Ive made (which I only make for the craic really) I get a size 10/0 hook, I prefer with eyes. and I 2 cut strips of a king or tayto crisp pack 10mm wide and 80 mm long red on one side foil on the other. Lash them onto the hook shaft with 30lb line the long end at the business end of the hook and there you go, Put three or four in sequence on a length of 30lb with line enough for a weight at the bottom and a snap swivel for your main line on top. Easy! Some people use capri sun packs,cut up beach balls actual feathers, The most imprtant is that you dont use rustly hooks and you have plenty of flash, some people swear by bits of tinsel and wool, Experiment and enjoy. Id but one set from the shops first to copy the line lengths and dimensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

thanks.
    I guess it's the getting of the correct raw materials that's the first issue and then copying a purchased lure. I'll give it blast and have a look around the local tackle shop to see what bits and bobs their selling.
    Seems every day I go out I lose at least one lure, it'd be nice to be able to quickly put together some replacements without having to go back to the shop each week.

Advertisement