Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my dog is wheezing

• 02-06-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Since the summer started my 12 year old cross terrier has developed a wheeze most obvious in the morning, but sometimes it makes her vomit. I am wondering is it just age, could it be pollen count or something I should take her to the vet for. I only took her from rescue a few months back so am new to her and having a dog generally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Hello there. I'm not lying to you (:pac:)
    when I say that you should take your
    pup to the vet. There's a tendency for
    all animals in rescue settings to catch
    the common/most highly contagious
    problems there. Bordatella or 'kennel
    cough' might be what's going on, but
    there's no way to know until the vet
    puts his finger on it.

Here's a page dedicated to it (for
    Boston terrier) for you:

http://www.bostonterrierhub.com/canine_bordetella.html

ETA: I just realised that you might mean
    this Summer, but this bordetella stuff
    is easy to catch from unvaccinated dogs.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Take the dog to the vet it could be something minor or a more serious underlying problem taking her age into account as well a vets advice on what treatment is required is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mendacity

There's a tendency for
    all animals in rescue settings to catch
    the common/most highly contagious
    problems there. Bordatella or 'kennel
    cough' might be what's going on, but
    there's no way to know until the vet
    puts his finger on it

Thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned that she developed the wheeze almost immediately after I have her at the vet where she was given the kennel cough vaccination.

Ultimately I know its off to the vet for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Hi again. I was just having a look
    there and it appears that if vaccination
    is given just after the infection takes
    hold, kennel cough can still develop.

Here's an interesting page on this
    topic:

http://www.dolittler.com/index.cfm/2008/2/7/pet.vet.dog.cat.kennel%20cough.bordetella.vaccine.veterinary

HTH :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 curran_c

does anybody know if thee is a natural alternative to Noroclav? my dog is having a reaction to pollen and the antibiotic isn't working. thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

curran_c wrote: »
    does anybody know if thee is a natural alternative to Noroclav? my dog is having a reaction to pollen and the antibiotic isn't working. thanks.

If the antibiotic isn't working, you will need to go back to the vet to get another one. Because it is an allergy, you may need and anti histamine or anti inflammatory to help with the reaction (that is, the infection may be gone, but not the symptoms) so there may be a need for a combo of medication.

Advertisement