Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Washed driving licence

Options
  • 02-06-2008 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭

Just found my licence in the washing machine there - I'd been using it as ID for a nightclub there last night and put it in a shirt pocket... thankfully in the little plastic pocket thingy, but its still rather the worse for wear, signatures bled off the signature strip and it looks a little like someone tried to change the photo (papers worn around the back of the photo).

Any ideas how I get a replacement and how much its gonna cost me? I'm off to Cardiff next week and don't want the Heddlu thinking I've a fake licence. Luckily Kildare usually process full licences in a day or two turnaround (versus 2/3 weeks for permits).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I think when you apply for a replacement you will need have reported it to the Gardaí that the previous one is damaged/missing/stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Slightly OT but on that note ..When are they going to make the revolutionary transition to the credit card licence. **** sake.. honestly our licence is embarrassing at this stage :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ya, just bring the remains to the local station and fill out the "lost" form. Act as serious as you can and object loudly if there is even a hint of a snigger from the Guard.

Disregard any comments of the welease wodger nature and keep a stwaight face.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

There are better ways of keeping a clean licence :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You need to complete a D800 form, bring it to your local Garda Station with 2 photos and €5, report your licence as having been damaged, get the D800 form stamped, dated and signed by a Garda and send it off to your local MTO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Slightly OT but on that note ..When are they going to make the revolutionary transition to the credit card licence. **** sake.. honestly our licence is embarrassing at this stage :rolleyes:

On 27 March 2006 the European Commission approved the introduction of a single EU driving licence to replace those currently in use in the 25 member states. It is expected the new EU driving licence will come into effect by 2012 and the current driving licences issued by each member state will be phased out by 2032.

So I think any plans to move the Irish licenses to a credit card size were abandoned, instead waiting on the EU licenses.

The EU licenses will be revolutionary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is Tallaght garda station likely to have the D800 forms itself or is it one of these forms you need to hunt down (and most likely go to the library for - which is around the corner, if I can ever find it - only worked in Tallaght for more than half my working life, like...)

Cionád wrote: »
    That link may be out of date as there are now 27 EU countries.

EDIT: disregard that comment - it shouldn't really make any difference,

MYOB wrote: »
    Is Tallaght garda station likely to have the D800 forms itself or is it one of these forms you need to hunt down
    I don't know. I've never been to Tallaght Garda Station. Come to think of it, the last time I was in Tallaght the shopping centre (The Square?) was opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Duplicate Licence

To apply for a Duplicate Licence you will need:

* Application Form (D.800). Please ensure your P.P.S. Number (R.S.I. No.) is included on your application.
    * Two recent passport sized identical photographs (signed on the back).
    * € 10 Fee.

Free-in-lieu licences are issued in the following cases:

* Extra category added.
    * Change of name/address.
    * Removal of endorsement.
    * If an error has been made in the issue of licence (e.g. incorrect date of birth).

• Advertisement

Form handed in today, was like Monty Python with the dead parrot, the girl behind the counter was insistant the licence was "just grand"

Despite the paper having thinned away to nothing on the folds
    Despite it looking like I'd replaced the photo (paper thinned away around the edge of the photo)
    Despite my signature having bled entirely off it

Eventually they agreed to replace it! You'd swear I *wasn't* paying for it... I do huge amounts of driving in the North and much of my southern driving at night = I get checkpointed about once a week for whatever reasons. Don't think the PSNI would take too kindly to the state it was in!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Another Reason why Plastic Credit Card type driving licenses that should be introduced!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Thank god for my old duplicate provisional license. Goes with me everytime I'm going to a pub/club. Been washed about 4 times while in its plastic cover but it's still good. Think it's because it's always in my back pocket of my jeans rather than your shirt pocket. :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Vertakill wrote: »
    Thank god for my old duplicate provisional license. Goes with me everytime I'm going to a pub/club. Been washed about 4 times while in its plastic cover but it's still good. Think it's because it's always in my back pocket of my jeans rather than your shirt pocket. :P

Arent you suppose to hand in your old license when renewing...

Yeah, I did, sort of. :)

I thought I'd lost my original provisional license and I got a new one. But I later found my one in the back pocket of a pair of jeans.
    So when I got my full license they just wanted the most recent license (the duplicate) back.
    So I still have my original provisional license. It's not eligible or anything as it's got an expiry date on it. But the bouncers don't look at the expiry usually (except for 1 bouncer who refused a mate of mine because his ID had expired..), not that it'd make a difference anyway.

I've seen bouncers refuse provisional licences point blank...

Ah, sure they can refuse you for any reason they like. I'm sure it wasn't solely down to the fact it was a provisional license though. It's a valid form of ID so they have no right to refuse you and they'd be brought up on it if you were willing to piss and moan loud enough. Most people just go to another pub/club! Anyways that's a whole different thread. :)

Oh, I'm fully aware of/capable of bitching and moaning about it, and its every bit as valid as a full licence... I've just seen them being refused a few times. Doormen can be tossers, although theres decent ones too obviously.

Haha. I'm Kildare, 'almost Dublin' as well. Luckily the local pubs/clubs in Leixlip don't do that anymore! Town however... is a whole different story.
    I hate bringing my genuine license out in case something happens to it, or worse, in case I wash it the next day. :)
    The only other ID that's nearly as bad as the provisional is probably the Age Card :P ... which nobody ever seemed to accept.

Thank god for semi dubious duplicate provisional licenses!

Advertisement