Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more weeds than grass !! help!

Options
  • 02-06-2008 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm wondering if anybody cud help I've a lovely garden lined with fruit trees and at the end a fruitful veggie patch, its the grass I'm having a problem with. there is more weed than grass. I've tried to dig them out 1 by 1 n grass n weed killer but noting seem to work. any ideas what i can try that wont harm my trees n veggies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

I've used shell d50 (or something like that) - it's great for killing off weeds. Not sure what the story is when you have "more weeds than grass" - TBH I was hoping that there would be a lot of advice on this one as I'm now in the same position - amazed that there are no replies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

You could try the "weed, feed & moss killer" formulas in the garden centre... I've used them a couple of times and have been happy with the results...

Keep it back from the veggie plot as it is selective to knock out anything but grass... I dont think it will harm your fruit trees as it has no affect on my field maple hedge...

Be careful using any of the agricultural selective week killers.. They're not really designed for lots of close contact handling, or pets, or kids... most require a 2 week exclusion period after spraying...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd the same problem 3 summers back. I used Verdone and it made a big difference in the first year. After the second year things got a lot better. I've only a few small patches of weed now and I reckon next year might see the end of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭blackbox

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'd the same problem 3 summers back. I used Verdone and it made a big difference in the first year. After the second year things got a lot better. I've only a few small patches of weed now and I reckon next year might see the end of them.

+1 for Verdone.

When you get things under control you can make it up in a hand sprayer and only apply to the weeds. You'll need to do this a few times each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

If the main weed is nettle then I believe you can get a special weedkiller for it. I had a lawn full of nettles and it workred a treat. However I'm not fond of weedkillers and when I moved to my present property the lawn was in terrible condition i.e. hadn't been cut in more than 15 years! and was full of all kinds of weeds. I found the best solution was to have a good mowing regime and while there are still a few weeds there the lawn looks great. Cutting as low as you can 50mm or so will not give the weeds a chance to produce leaf and they will eventually die of. Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement