Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italian Captain Fabio Cannavaro is Out of the Euros

• 02-06-2008 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/euro_2008/italy/7432512.stm

Gemberini from Fiorentina has been called up as replacment.

My opinion is that this is a major blow and will copperfasten Italys fate in the group of death. Its looking harder and harder for them to come out ahead of either France or Holland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

This is so sad for a player of his age. I really am disgusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Big blow, although they should still have enough to qualify. Holland aren't that great a side especially in defence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

I agree with you on the defence, but with Snejider, Robben and van der Vart playing behing Ruud VN and Van Persie if he's fit, you gotta fancy that against Italy with Del Piero and Inzaghi. Italy will rely too heavily on Pirlo, I just dont think they have the legs for the battle.

sad for Cannavaro though, could signal the end of his career if its bad enough. Reecovery from ligiment damage is not something 34 year old footballers do too well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus , tough one for him.

My fantasy football team is taking a hammering. First Babel, now Cannavaro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I agree with you on the defence, but with Snejider, Robben and van der Vart playing behing Ruud VN and Van Persie if he's fit, you gotta fancy that against Italy with Del Piero and Inzaghi. Italy will rely too heavily on Pirlo, I just dont think they have the legs for the battle.

If Inzaghi starts let alone gets a game I'd be surprised. L.T. is more than a threat up front. Also, keep in mind that we do have more than able replacements. Barzagli should step up to the floor easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Big blow for Italy but I'd still fancy them to have enough to finish behind France and get through. Got to feel sorry for Cannavaro though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Before this news I would have fancied Italy to do very well, but this is gonna be a real blow to morale. They certainly are not dependent on del piero and inzaghi in attack however. Inzaghi's not even in the squad. They have a number of other more than capable attacking players and if Cassano plays and reproduces the form he's shown this season they will be a match for anyone. It can't be forgotten that they are the world champions and topped a difficult qualifying group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Don't be fooled by the inclusion of Del Piero, Italy have a great attack. Luca Toni is a phenomenon (had he been the injured one, Italy would be scuppered) - 38 goals for Bayern this season I think? For support, Donadoni has great options. Del Piero just had an unbelievable season and is still up to it at this level. Can't say I've seen him play much, but yer man Di Natale is supposed to be class too - and everyone knows Cassano is capable of something special, and has been producing it recently.

Cannavaro is a big loss to defence though. I don't know who they replace him with - Chiellini? He's a solid player, and so is Barzagli apparently, so I'd say they'll cope. As long as they're not relying on Materazzi! Still think Italy are in with a big chance, despite their tough draw.

Was reading an article about Holland there, apparently they only conceded 5 goals in qualifying? I had defence pegged as their weak point too (Ooijer -- Heitinga -- Mathijsen -- Van Bronckhorst: that's as bad as Ireland!) and I haven't even heard of their defensive midfielders, but I guess they've figured something out. With Van Der Vaart in the team they will always be a threat up front, so I really think the top two places are up for grabs in this group. Could well come down to someone slipping up against Romania, they have some top class players as well - shame about the draw!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Big loss but Italys reputation for producing great defender is there for a reason and this might give others a chance to shine earlier than expected, most likely the two suggested by Attractive Nun- Barzagli and Chiellini who are supposed to be quality.

didnt Romania top Hollands qualifying group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

sad for Cannavaro though, could signal the end of his career if its bad enough. Reecovery from ligiment damage is not something 34 year old footballers do too well.

Inzaghi isn't in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Xavi6 wrote: »

yeah thats already been said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Xavi6 wrote: »

D'oh, had him in a fantasy football team on a different site.....

Still think Italy look a bit light even with toni, his parnership with ribery and klose was phenomenal not to mention the back up attacking of the german trio schweinsteiger, lahm and jansen, I am not sure he can reproduce that with Italy. I still think Wesley Snjeider is head and shoulders above anyone in that group in midfield, and if he can get ahold of the game, with RVDV and RVN and RP, they will pick holes in Italy.

I can see a lot ofgoals in this group, watch out for Romania though, they were the dirtiest qualifyers with 3 reds and loads of yellow cards, there could be more injurioes on the way for the other 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

D'oh, had him in a fantasy football team on a different site.....

Still think Italy look a bit light even with toni, his parnership with ribery and klose was phenomenal not to mention the back up attacking of the german trio schweinsteiger, lahm and jansen, I am not sure he can reproduce that with Italy. I still think Wesley Snjeider is head and shoulders above anyone in that group in midfield, and if he can get ahold of the game, with RVDV and RVN and RP, they will pick holes in Italy.

His partnership with Mutu was even more phenomenal. His partnership with Baggio was effective. His partnership with Amauri too. Coincidence, I doubt it, not to mention how strong and well balanced the midfield is for Italy, they should be safe. I'd be more worried about Romania than Holland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I thought that the Holland defence would be really suspect as welll but it turns outthey conceeded hardly any in qualifying and that Van Basten has they playing pretty well at the back.

IMO, this is a bigger loss to Cannavaro than to Italy. He grows when he puts on the shirt, no doubt, but he hasn't had a great season at Real.

I expect Matterazi to lead the defensive line quite well. Don't be fooled by people overhyping the incident with Torres in the CL - he's a class defender and was the player of the championship in the last world cup(where everyone said Italy were screwed because Nesta was out).

I know Zidane was actually elected the player of the championship but that was nonsense - Matterazzi was italy's joint top socrer!!

I can still see Italy gettin out of that group.

I predict Italy and Romania get out of the group.

Advertisement