Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post closed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Why not PM the BGRH mods and ask them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Spider you are around long enough to know to pm the mods before running to feedback,
    cos other wise it looks like you are looking for attention.

The BGHR charter states no serious threads.

By rights I should have deleted it
    but due to the content I locked it rather then delete so it stood as a statement and it was not dragged off topic or pulled apart by others.

Actually sod it that thread really has no place in BGRH I am moving it to events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I was not looking for attention, it was not intended to be serious, more to quell any bad feelings between me and the other members of BGRH. As the beers organised by JSB was posted in BGRH I felt that was the best place to post. But I see this now as it really is, and although I have been active the last 6 months on boards after a period of leaving it because I felt I was not welcome, I will be doing so again.

Thanks and bye for now. (and yes feel free to delete/lock/move all mt posts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    But I see this now as it really is, and although I have been active the last 6 months on boards after a period of leaving it because I felt I was not welcome, I will be doing so again.

Thanks and bye for now. (and yes feel free to delete/lock/move all mt posts)

hissy fit much?

Get over it dude. So it wasn't a roaring success, these things happen. Don't take it personally for God's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

tbh wrote: »
    hissy fit much?

Get over it dude. So it wasn't a roaring success, these things happen. Don't take it personally for God's sake.

Ah to be fair to the guy he did put a shitload of effort into it so he's entitled to be a little bit disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Don't take it personally for God's sake.
    QFT.

yeah, and fair play to him, but his disappointment is making him say and do things - "But I see this now as it really is, and although I have been active the last 6 months on boards after a period of leaving it because I felt I was not welcome, I will be doing so again." - that he's probably going to regret later on.

Basically, people will say they will go to something and then don't go all the time. If the OP wants to quit boards because of it, he can, but if he thinks that's somehow going to change things, it won't. People will just shrug their shoulders same as they've always done and move onto the next thread.

edit: maybe this is being unfair, but I think perhaps DJ you got a little bit carried away when it came to anticipating the crowd size. I can understand that you'd be disappointed, but giving out to boards in general isn't the answer. Yes you worked your bollix off, but a good night was had by all (by all accounts) and you raised a lot of money. Is that not enough?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

LOL

I am unsure as to how the BGRH beers would have effected attendance tbh. Wasnt the karoke on the friday night and the BGRH beers on saturday night? if it was the otherway around i could understand it that may be people were to hungover to go out.

Also it was a bank holiday weekend, i some people do actually have a life outside of boards especially i would think on a BH weekend.

personally, i cant stand karoke and i would rather sit at home and eat some knackers toenails then go to something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Karaoke isn't everyones cup of tea either. Also, most people would not be looking at it like they're letting anyone down just by not showing up. ;)

*edit* damn... irishbird beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

irishbird wrote: »
    LOL

I am unsure as to how the BGRH beers would have effected attendance tbh. Wasnt the karoke on the friday night and the BGRH beers on saturday night? if it was the otherway around i could understand it that may be people were to hungover to go out.

Also it was a bank holiday weekend, i some people do actually have a life outside of boards especially i would think on a BH weekend.

personally, i cant stand karoke and i would rather sit at home and eat some knackers toenails then go to something like that

But I thought Des went away for the weekend? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But I thought Des went away for the weekend? :pac:

shhh, we did, they were someone else's shhhh:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    although I have been active the last 6 months on boards after a period of leaving it because I felt I was not welcome, I will be doing so again.
    How did you get the impression you were not welcome? That seems strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dudess wrote: »
    How did you get the impression you were not welcome? That seems strange.

Sadly, DJ seems to be taking it quite personally the fact that there were a few hicups on Friday night (not that I was there myself). It is clouding the fact that, by all accounts, people who attended did have a good night and lots of money was raised for SSF.

However, DJ started lashing out at pretty much everybody for the events that unfolded, blaming, among others, members of BGRH for organising "competing" nights out and detracting from his night.

Unfortunately for DJ, he is digging an even bigger hole for himself by carrying on like he is in this thread.

A self-imposed exile from Boards.ie is going to affect nobody but DJ himself. If that is what he wants, so be it. But to say that members of Boards.ie made him feel unwelcome, is just making a drama out of something that isn't.

When people think others don't like them and they keep going on about it, it actually becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

When people think others don't like them and they keep going on about it, it actually becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

....6th ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

....6th ;)

.... but you like me, right?

right or wrong buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Friday night was great... it gave me the chance to talk about tbh behind his back and recommend him for an unpleasant task.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Friday night was great...

+1

....6th ;)
    Ouch! It's no coincidence that tbh are three of the letters that make up "bitch".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I wouldn't take it to heart, I've organised nights out in the past and even though people said they'd turn up they didn't. The lowest turn out I've ever had is 3! It was still a fun night though.

Chin up!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Oh yes.. Fun to meet your good self Ronny Mitchell... Hope to see you at future events.

Ouch! It's no coincidence that tbh are three of the letters that make up "bitch".

you can't have a bitch without a tbh and an "i c" ;) and fudge, I appreciate the recommendation, but should I shave their arses before I apply the ointment? Some of them like it and some of them don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I was there on Friday night for about 15 minutes or something just to go see people I knew .. I left and went to one of the most bizzare and eye-opening events I have ever seen ... then met back up with boardsie folks and went to another place which had good music.

People did seem to be enjoying themselves when I was there (I was very drunk all ready) but It really wasn't my cup of tea, what with the Karaoke and **** music and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

dramallama.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ah leave the poor chap be. :) He was upset by the fact that there was a lower then expected turnout but alas, at least people turned out and had a good time. Fair enough he over reacted but at least he is appologising for it all. Accept the apology and move on folks, dont make him feel any worse then he already is!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hey,

As someone who has run and played at many events like this I know how hard it can be when it doesn't pay off, and I know how easy it can be to blame others. it's only human nature when you break your heart working on something.

People do have lives and sometimes you pick a bad day to organise these things, through no fault of your own- or anyone elses.

Im sure everyone is old enough now to accept it and move on.

I still lurve you Spider*

*not physically

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I really enjoyed Friday! Yes it was quieter then expected but its summer and Karaoke isnt everyone's bag so to speak :)

DJ Spider, I would say your thread was closed because it said everything that needed to be said. Not *everything* has to be a discussion. :)

I would have closed the thread too as I dont think it required any response and stood on its own.

Speaking with my SSF hat on, Friday raised 800 much needed euro. That money, along with the remains of 2007 which I retained in the SSF bank account, will allow us to run a major event in the next 6-9 months. That should raise several thousands of pounds, so from such seemingly small acorns do oaks grow. The Gaelcon charity started as two blokes arguing over a stuffed toy (I know, I was one of them). In the past decade and a half it has raised easily half a million euros and won a major world wide award in its field last year.
    From my point of view, it was great to chat with some old mates on Friday AND we raised a bunch of money. Way to go Spider and the lads and ladies who helped! :)

DeV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I havent been up to date with all the goings on since Friday night (I had to leave before the singing started unfortunately) but its worth pointing out that Spider seemed to put a lot of effort into Friday, getting up at 6am etc etc to get things ready. He put his heart and soul in it and it became his "baby" as such. Anyone else in his shoes would feel the same disappointment and depending on how personal you make it.

It was a good night for those there and money was raised for charity. Job well done if you ask me.

When i organise events be it personal or through the office social club, i usually divide the confirmed people by 2 to ascertain who really will go!

Spider apologised for whatever bad he has done since. It should really be left at that. He did a great job getting Friday organised.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, I forgot to say, DJ Spider really is a good DJ. I was impressed and I enjoyed the music too, my kind of tunes.

DeV.

Advertisement