Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post closed

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

DeV, thanks for the update, I don't think karaoke would be a good idea for the next event, unless we get a good sized room, so we can set up the speakers properly.

Faceman, thanks for the words of encouragement, I will bear that in mind for the next event. (amount of people confirming attending / 1.5 X -2.5 = 10 people!)

SDooM I lurve you too man*

Sully I would like to thank everyone who donated prizes, including yourself, Keano A Lengend, Ronny Mitchell, Agent_Smith, Alan Ford, Roundy_Mooney, eoin_s, aiden_walsh, Monkeyfudge, and Rb. As well as Dublin Tourism, Lily O'Brien's, and of course the Admins.

*may not be true!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    SDooM I lurve you too man*

*may not be true!

Damnit. I should know by now never to bear my soul. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i would have went.. but didnt know...

I can haz mail listing!?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It was an announcement on the site for over two weeks.

Anyway, this thread has run its course I feel and I will close it shortly.

DeV.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv yet to be at a Boards Beers outside Waterford. I hereby promise to go to one this summer. :D

• Advertisement

I agree DeV, money was raised, people murdered sang songs and we had lots and lots of chocolates! :pac: Did you manage to check the bank account payments? AFAIK the total was €870 not bad really, should be able to pay for a nice big function room for the next karaoke boards event!

Well done everyone and there is a drink in the Bar for you!

DJ Spider :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ok, i never read announcments :o

I will make sure to go to the next one...

If theres beer... i will come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

snyper wrote: »
    Ok, i never read announcments :o

I will make sure to go to the next one...

If theres beer... i will come :)

A good few of us had it plugged in our sigs... make sure you have sigs turned on.

I need a new cause to champion now.... maybe that hat forum... hmmm...

Or maybe the nocturnal forum I think nerin is trying for it! Or maybe bribe Mr Blitzkrieg for a monkey forum?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

A good few of us had it plugged in our sigs... make sure you have sigs turned on.

I need a new cause to champion now.... maybe that hat forum... hmmm...

Im still smiling when you opened the MCU, i can imagine joe public seeing you walk up the street with your hat on and the MCU in hand thinking...

"that guy is important and mysterious, check out the hat and that important, expensive looking briefcase in his hand. It looks like the one Doc Brown used to transport plutonium in Back to the Future."

Little did they know what contents lurked within! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

DeVore wrote: »
    It was an announcement on the site for over two weeks.

Or two months? To be honest I got a little irritated by DJ's every post being about the event. I understand it needs a lot of exposure, but there is such a thing as too much. There were several threads about it in the events forum and in other forums, I think some people may have been a little put off.

If I may ad, please don't take it personally that not as many people showed up than the christmas beers. I myself would have come but was working. I know you put a lot of time and effort into making the night work, and from what I have heard it worked out well. There was a lot of money raised, so don't be giving yourself a hard time over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

WindSock wrote: »
    Or two months? To be honest I got a little irritated by DJ's every post being about the event. I understand it needs a lot of exposure, but there is such a thing as too much. There were several threads about it in the events forum and in other forums, I think some people may have been a little put off.

Well, that's a pain for them, isn't it?

The guy was enthusiastic (perhaps a little overzealous in his desire to sound out what people wanted-but that's no crime).

The aftermath was regrettable, but the end result was not. A fine lump of money has been raised, thanks to those who attended, bought tickets and donated.

I can live with a couple of extra threads around the site. Many others did, whether they chose to act on them or not.

I think at the end of the day, because I have always had good response from other events I have organised, I expected the same for this. Also the Xmas beers was good and we raised a lot of cash. I think I maybe tried to make too much money by doing the raffle online and at the event and people paying to sing. I should have just done the raffle at the event.

But anyway I know what to expect next time and maybe if I don't go overboard I will get the result I expect. I will just tell myself that only 5 people will trun up and I can inflict whatever music I like on them! :eek:

See you at the next event, maybe!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think at the end of the day, because I have always had good response from other events I have organised, I expected the same for this. Also the Xmas beers was good and we raised a lot of cash. I think I maybe tried to make too much money by doing the raffle online and at the event and people paying to sing. I should have just done the raffle at the event.

But anyway I know what to expect next time and maybe if I don't go overboard I will get the result I expect. I will just tell myself that only 5 people will trun up and I can inflict whatever music I like on them! :eek:

Wil try and make it to the next one dude!

Perhaps it was also announced too early? From conception to the actual event was so long in between that interest may have been lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Perhaps it was also announced too early? From conception to the actual event was so long in between that interest may have been lost?
    I agree.

Lessons have been learnt. didn't comment earlier as I had very little to do with the event, and felt it wasn't my place to comment, but DeVore will put the money to good use and fair play to you Spider for getting the ball rolling which is often the hardest part of the project.

BGRH forum should accept the apology and move on, as should all people involved. Spider recofnizes his wrongdoings, but IMO, his hard work should be made to outweigh one or two of his mistakes where he got a bit hot under the collar.

Good job though Spider. I, for one, recognize all your hard work, but maybe not karaoke the next time and don't always expect things to go perfectly. It rarely, if ever, does go according to 'da plan'.

+1 Yes maybe I got the gestation period wrong! But I just wanted as many people to support it as possible. Maybe let it lie now and look forward the corsets! :p

Thanks for the kind words nevf, I also would like to thank DeV for organising the admins side and the generous donation from Boards. As well as saying I was good! Even though I did nearly choke him with my spray smoke can! :o

Let's move on, enjoy the summer, (or is it over?!) and hopefully meet for beers sometime. :D

DJ Spider Over & Out! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Thanks for the kind words nevf
    Your welcome.

Maybe it's time to lock a diddly this thread away, learn our lesson and move on...?

Advertisement