Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unbuntu 8.04 64 bit - some applications not available

• 03-06-2008 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

I've noticed this a bit, tried to install Opera and Zattoo and they're not available for 64 bit systems yet.

Anyone know if the Open Source elves are busy getting them ready or anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

You could set up a chroot environment to allow use of 32-bit binaries on your 64-bit machine.
    This will require a re-partition, and a new install of a 32-bit distro though.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=18001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

There is no reason why 32 bit apps arent available on 64bit, all thats needed is the 32 bit library dependencies. Suse handles this well, i dont know about ubuntu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

djmarkus wrote: »
    There is no reason why 32 bit apps arent available on 64bit, all thats needed is the 32 bit library dependencies. Suse handles this well, i dont know about ubuntu.

Oh, I downloaded them from websites, so they wouldn't have looked at dependencies.

I tried

apt-get install opera

first but it didn't recognise the package. The APT manager would normally sort out dependencies for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Because opera isnt free software it probably wont be in the default repositories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

djmarkus wrote: »

Ubuntu handles this very well too. In work I just switched from i386 7.04 to x86_64 8.04 today.....

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

When installing via dpkg there is an option to force architecture. As mentioned above you may have to resolve 32 bit dependencies though.

Advertisement