Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Ireland Keep Your Taxes Low: Vote "NO" " Ad

Options
12346»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Vex talked to them, I'll try to get any more info I can from him.

I suspect this is following the path of least resistance. In fact our government's approach to legislating on online stuff is pretty much the ostrich head-in-the-ground approach. Its just too big a can of worms to open.

Still, at least we have an official answer.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Excellent. More money for boards so :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I really think many many people over estimate how much you can charge for an online ad :)

For example, if every single impression this thread got had a Libertas ad on it (which it didnt) and there were no retrictions on re-showing an ad to the same person more then X times (which there usually are) then we might, might have enough for one pint. (No hookers.)

If its a Google ad, then we would probably have made.... about 20 cent, if that.

We arent poor, and we arent short of cash (well, we arent about to go offline for want of cash) but its not exactly the right industry to be in if you are looking for a huge return in a short timeframe :)

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    "I think though we were always debating here the principle of whether this place should be a vehicle for paid for political lies."

Now I think that that is ridiculous hyperbole. I'm not wild about that ad and I'm sure we have learned something through this, but I'm not about to stand by and allow the site to be called a vehicle for political lies :)

I think you might be going a touch ott there.
    Agreed.Thats the internet for you.It makes me go all melodramatic and give out about others melodrama at the same time.But to be brutally honest I didn't intentionally intend to accuse you or anyone of Boards of making this place such a vehicle so I'd like to apologise if thats the impression I gave.
    I'd be happy to believe that libertas are lying and advertise here because they can and that the discussion was on that. Language sometimes fails me but thats really what I was meaning to say.
    In terms of political honesty, you started this thread implying (indeed outright saying) that you were a swing voter and inviting the no camp to sway you. Then you argued with each point and forgive me if you dont seem, subsequently, to be a swing voter at all...
    I actually was a swing voter initially but not soley for the reason(s) stated in that thread.It was as usual largely a devils advocate thread by me designed to draw out discussion and get posters to put some flesh on what they say and see if it falls off.
    To give you an example I do dislike the US of Europe idea and I think I've always approached these referenda (DA positions aside) as to whether they are inching too far on that route.I decided rather quickly this one wasn't.
    As for arguing every point-thats simply because I rarely if ever accept statements that jump out to me as having a counter argument.It's part of the devils advocate culture that I've never swayed from on that forum or in real life for that matter.
    I'm obviously quite good at it:D

(God Granny is going to hate me :o)
    I'm sure this seems all fair game to you but it does strike me as awful "shilly". :)
    DeV.
    Nah I'm just confident now in the stand I've taken.Reacting to comments and questioning them as is my nature [/embarassed smiley]

I really think many many people over estimate how much you can charge for an online ad :)
    I wish :) I tried using them to pay for the WTSC website once. I didn't get to 20 cents :D
    But 20 cents you get is 20 cents you didn't have before...

• Advertisement

I was really just pointing out that one man's "interpretation" is another man's "wilful misleading"... :)

I think the best thing out of this is the clarity I/we now have on the parameters by which to judge such ads, primaraily the political ones (I'm not about to go and test of Cilit Bang really does clean pennies...)

DeV.

Sparks wrote: »
    I wish :) I tried using them to pay for the WTSC website once. I didn't get to 20 cents :D
    But 20 cents you get is 20 cents you didn't have before...
    No argument there!

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Guys, should you have this up on the day before the referendum. Isn't there a stay on all campaigning the day before an election or referendum?

Edit: Sorry just saw you mentioned this a few pages earlier - had to be on the one page I skipped over!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Whatever about the adverts, I'm glad boards hasn't chosen to align itself with one or other camp. It would be easy for boards to do so, many other media outlets/websites/organisations have done so. Its nice to have what appears to be an unbiased platform for discussion on the whole thing and I'm pleased to see that moderators and admins haven't interfered with free speech on the issue. With the vote tomorrow apparently going down to the wire its possible a few thousand votes could swing the balance either way!

Absolutely no way would we do something like that or countenance something like that from the Mods. In fact, the EU Forum worked absolutely spectacularly well and is exactly the sort of thing I wanted Boards to encompass when we were setting it up.

I actually have no strong opinion on the Lisbon thing. I've no idea of the other admins political persuasions. The only time we ever discussed it as a group, there was SO MUCH trolling going on about Regi being english, me being born in the north and ecksor being well, ecksor :) I have no idea who was telling the truth and who was stirring it. :)

We try to run as unaligned a platform as we can here, inevitably some people feel their "epic call to arms" post may have been maligned by being referred to as a soapbox rant and deleted but we try and get the mix right and this time I feel we did.

Congrats to all involved, it was a tricky and emotive topic and was a delicate moderating job.

When I have spoken before about being inspired by Pompei's forum I wasnt kidding and the EU Forum is a perfect example of what I had in mind. I've actually been in a good mood all day about it. I'm very proud of the site.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Ok weird.

according to my cp and the feedback listing, the last poster was devore.

But I can only see cornbb as the last poster.

*looks under a rock*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Ok weird.

according to my cp and the feedback listing, the last poster was devore.

But I can only see cornbb as the last poster.

*looks under a rock*

I had that two for a couple of minutes :pac:

Absolutely no way would we do something like that or countenance something like that from the Mods.
    Yeah. Snort all the coke you like off all the body parts of all the hookers you like, but you can't shut someone up who's not being a total git. It's the Mod Code.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Sure of course libertas can lie or make up stuff anyway, they just have to move all the stuff to the US and it'll be safe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its not a libertas ad!

Absolutely no way would we do something like that or countenance something like that from the Mods. In fact, the EU Forum worked absolutely spectacularly well and is exactly the sort of thing I wanted Boards to encompass when we were setting it up.

Congrats to all involved, it was a tricky and emotive topic and was a delicate moderating job.

When I have spoken before about being inspired by Pompei's forum I wasnt kidding and the EU Forum is a perfect example of what I had in mind. I've actually been in a good mood all day about it. I'm very proud of the site.

DeV.

i don't think the politics forum can be claim to be success when it left half the dicussions in after hours, here's the pompei equivalence there? please explain?

i don't think the politics forum can be claim to be success when it left half the dicussions in after hours, where's the pompei equivalence there? please explain?
    Remember when you were a kid and your parents had friends around for dinner and they had kids your age and there was a "kids table" and an "adult's table" .... ??

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

99e28bdbb341018d2d51f378fd55edf8.jpg

Remember when you were a kid and your parents had friends around for dinner and they had kids your age and there was a "kids table" and an "adult's table" .... ??
    DeV.
    Actually in rural west Cork where my relations are,theres a separate mans room and a separate womens room for visitors.
    The sexes separate for the duration.

How they ever make babies down there I do not know..

Its called The Rythm Method.

DeV.

• Advertisement

DeV.

that's very Forum like is it? You can hardly claim pride in the politics forum and pretend the others forums aren't your problem, things is its not children in the after hours.

its seem the like parental neglect to me the parents are just too lazy to involve and look after the kids (apply that to boards.ie world)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

i don't think the politics forum can be claim to be success when it left half the dicussions in after hours, here's the pompei equivalence there? please explain?
    What??

Are you suggesting I should have monitored AH and asked the mods there to move all relevant threads to EU?

Puh-lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

oscarBravo wrote: »
    What??

Are you suggesting I should have monitored AH and asked the mods there to move all relevant threads to EU?

Puh-lease.

I for one think the no vote on Lisbon deserves a round of applause for common sense, particularly when one or two unfair and unbalanced moderators blocked those advocating a no vote from the lisbon treaty discussions in the politics forum. Shame on them and well done to everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

@ DeV, everyone knows the rythm method is just a hole in the wall between the two rooms, just big enough so you can hear people across the wall shouting "Back her into me PJ", and of course enough room to fit the wobbly bits in!

And no, Oscar Bravo, I am not suggesting for one minute that you are not a wobbly bit at all!
    jawlie wrote: »
    I for one think the no vote on Lisbon deserves a round of applause for common sense, particularly when one or two unfair and unbalanced moderators blocked those advocating a no vote from the lisbon treaty discussions in the politics forum. Shame on them and well done to everybody else.
    I wasn't a particularly active user on the EU forum, as I wasn't eligble to vote, and so, whenever I visited, I only did so out of interest, but who were these evil mods anyway? (name and shame, because it is feedback, isn't it?)

Advertisement