Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

i'm going to give in.

• 03-06-2008 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭

right near the end of this month when i scrape a bit of cash together after buying my panasonic py80, i'm going to buy an elite(looks less like a tampon as it's black :p) to see what all the fuss is about.

what are currently the best deals around?

i've made a long list of what i need so can anyone tell me if there's something missing that i might need.

elite
    extra controller
    multiplayer tax
    wireless dongle thingy
    hdmi cable
    headset
    plug and charge kit x <amount of controller i decide to get>

also what are the great games to get? please bear in mind i do not play fps on consoles no matter how good they are because if they are worthy to be played then they'll be on pc imo.

also how do the controllers charge, is it via a usb port or something.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Controllers use AA batteries. Get yourself a play and charge kit and a spare battery pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

feylya wrote: »
    Controllers use AA batteries. Get yourself a play and charge kit and a spare battery pack.
    Or a decent pack of AA rechargable batteries (and a recharger obviously). Have got 4 rechargable Panasonic that are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

feylya wrote: »
    ahh you've got to be kidding me?

actually, you're not, just googled it there :rolleyes:

ok i guess that's another thing to add to the growing list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Headset (wired) comes with the console, so you don't need to pick one of those up. As for games (Xbox only?) I would suggest Mass Effect, and Rez HD (downloadable)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

basquille wrote: »
    Or a decent pack of AA rechargable batteries (and a recharger obviously). Have got 4 rechargable Panasonic that are excellent.

I like just being able to plug in the controller without having to swap out batteries. It's about the same cost anyway :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

As for non-fps games, id reccommend Fight Night Round 3 if you want some really amazing graphics. As the game is about 2 and 1/2 years old so you can get it dirt cheap. Still the best graphics around imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

A HDMI cable comes with the Elite

ahh ok, a tenner saved, original list is edited now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Put crackdown on your list of games anyway. You'll get it dirt cheap these days. Would also agree with fight night (horribly addictive though). If you leave out FPS's you are leaving out a lot of the reasons for getting the console. There are some well done ones on teh 360. For example the 360 version of Rainbow 6 Vegas is actually better than the PC version (that's a must have game too btw).

If you ahve a decent PC don't get mass effect on the 360 as it's out on PC now and from what my friends have said it's much better than the 360 version.

Get your live subscription from ebay (you get a free month out of the box) and you'll save a nice bit.

Another option for the wireless adaptor would be spending the same amount of cash on some homeplugs. Much better connection and you can use it for other stuff too.

Agree with 'Crackdown' - it's a game horribly put-down by a lot of gamers. But it's still one of the funnest games on the console IMO.

Also if you've a bit of extra cash, gotta recommend either 'Guitar Hero' or better still 'Rock Band' with drum kit (cheapest way to go is Drum Kit is €80 in Gamestop and game is €50 in Argos).

• Advertisement

not really into guitar hero-y type of games, i have my old guitars to prove that i'm rubbish don't need a 70 euro game to tell me that :p

Cremo wrote: »
    not really into guitar hero-y type of games, i have my old guitars to prove that i'm rubbish don't need a 70 euro game to tell me that :p
    Then drums ftw! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

basquille wrote: »
    Agree with 'Crackdown' - it's a game horribly put-down by a lot of gamers. But it's still one of the funnest games on the console IMO.

Also if you've a bit of extra cash, gotta recommend either 'Guitar Hero' or better still 'Rock Band' with drum kit (cheapest way to go is Drum Kit is €80 in Gamestop and game is €50 in Argos).
    Agreed with that about crackdown, prob my favorite game I played on the box so far, bar gta or bully...

Nick

cool roll on the 27th.

what does the hdmi port output? i doubt it does 1080p (looks jaw droppingly good on my panny)?

can they stream divx over the wireless network? i doubt i'll use it as the PS3 is quieter but still would be nice.

what's the deal with these gamer points things, do they unlock stuff like downloadables online or are they just pure enlarge your e-penii pills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The Elite does output in full HD.

Gamerpoints = e-pennis. They don't mean anything but to some they are everything

Yes it can stream DivX files although I haven't done this myself.

The Elite is loud. When gaming it sounds like a hoover. When you are watching DVD's or streaming clips it is a lot quieter however.

silvine wrote: »
    Gamerpoints = e-pennis. They don't mean anything but to some they are everything
    Don't know what's funnier.. your misconception about gamerpoints being 'everything' or the fact you mispelled 'penis'! ;)
    silvine wrote: »
    Yes it can stream DivX files although I haven't done this myself.
    Is it quite fussy in the DivX content it plays though.. think it's only files encoded in DivX 5 or above.

Any recent TV shows or films are typically always playable..
    Cremo wrote:
    what does the hdmi port output? i doubt it does 1080p (looks jaw droppingly good on my panny)?
    Yeah, HDMI supports 1080p. As does the HD VGA cable but HDMI is the way to go.
    Cremo wrote:
    can they stream divx over the wireless network? i doubt i'll use it as the PS3 is quieter but still would be nice.
    You can stream over Windows using Windows XP Media Center Extender, or over Mac using Connect360.
    Cremo wrote:
    what's the deal with these gamer points things, do they unlock stuff like downloadables online or are they just pure enlarge your e-penii pills?
    No downloadables or unlockables unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Okay okay I spelt penis wrong :eek:

You can also stream movie with Tversity and Windows Media Player.

And yes to some, gamerpoints are everything. Check out these people:
    http://www.mygamercard.net/leaderboard.php

Advertisement