Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Oil tank

Options
  • 03-06-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

I'm considering moving my oil tank to a new location and was wondering what to use as a base. I do have a number of paving slabs, which were being dumped by the local council which I'm thinking of using. These are quite large3' X 2' X 3" (approx) and if these were set on a firm level base would these be ok or do I need a cast concrete base. Just another piece of info the new location for the tank will be slightly uphill so I'm not planning on stacking these slabs just using them as a firm base. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Usually you have concrete foundations with a wall at each end of the tank and 3 or 4 lintels to support the base of the tank - presuming that it is plastic. You should have the tank level or sloping slightly away from the outlet pipe. The outlet should be, at least at the burner level. The further away the tank is, the higher it should be. Taking all that into account, you want the tank as low as possible, because windage on an almost empty tank can knock it over.
    If you have enough of those slabs to give the support I mention above, then they should be OK - you must support the whole base of a plastic tank.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

I'm moving the tank so it fits between a doublehedge which also has some trees along its length so windage shouldnt be a problem, also it will be about 30M or so away from the boiler. I do have enough of the slabs for a couple of complete 6' X 4' rows so by the sounds of it I'll be ok. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

At 3" thick, 2 or more of those slabs on top of each other should be enough to support a full tank of oil. When you move it, If you don't have the tank much higher than the burner, and if you need to push the air out of the pipe, make sure you fill it to the top, and that pressure will clear any airlock.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Will do, thanks again for the info

Advertisement