Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless laptop broadband minimum 250k up?

Options
  • 03-06-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Any ideas on a wimax or 3g service in Ireland that provides 250kbps or near enough up? Need it urgently for next week.

thks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

does it have to be portable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

yes...for multiple locations...ie cork, galway etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Realistically your not going to get 250kbits upload with any amount of consistency on any of the 3G providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Id say give 3G a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'd say try O2. You could get up to about 350kbps upload, which is what I have right now, but it can drop as low as about 50k at times. Depending on your exact location, the coverage, and the number of users in your sector, your speed will be variable. I think it's your only hope though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

great jor el thanks for that. I'm just wondering about that wimax product from IB called go plus? hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What you want with a minimum 250k upload is only possible with an RTE style OB van with 2 way Satellite dish. The more expensive sat packages can do 250k upload.

Minimum on 3G is about 30k upload with less than 100k not untypical even when download is over 1Mbps.

The other wireless products are either fixed location or very limited geographic coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

dathi1 wrote: »
    great jor el thanks for that. I'm just wondering about that wimax product from IB called go plus? hmmmm.

IBB Go! only has coverage in Dublin. 3g services have a max of 384kbit upload (vs. 3.6 mbit down), but that's the TOTAL bandwidth in the cell, so you'd only have that available, if you were on your own in the cell.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's not the "up to" that counts, but the minimum that counts. No-one delivering Mobile or nomadic services will talk about that unless the Regulators force a level playing field.

On the 384k up in HSDPA, that is only also for a perfect signal, one user and no nearby cells on same channel.

Advertisement