Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating Software and Nokia Maps...

• 03-06-2008 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

My N95 is in need of an update - still running v15!

The european version of Maps was bought for me less than a month ago though - if I update my software will I lose this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Yes you will lose it. I updated the firmware on my n95 8gb last night. Im really happy with the new firmware but I cant load my backup from pc suite back onto the phone. (I did it and the phone wouldnt restart:eek:) I googled about on it and found that a backup from older firmware via pc suite will corrupt newer firmware. I had to do a cold reset to get it working again. (hold call, 3 and * when phone is off and whilst holding press power on). You need to make a note of important numbers or transfer them to your sim card if there is room.
    The new firmware is good tho. It uses the built in accelerometer for a number of features.
    For example the screen can be set to automatically swith to potrait or landscape view depending on how you are holding the phone. More info here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055287559

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭Brianb8802

Before you update, use the phones internal backup. It backs up all themes, numbers, pics, maps, apps, etc to the phones 8gb memory. Then when you update you can restore the backup and its like you never did anything, accept you have automatic screen rotation.

I did it last night aswell with no porblems.

Find the backup at tools -> utilities -> memory -> Back up phone memory

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Brianb8802 wrote: »
    Before you update, use the phones internal backup. It backs up all themes, numbers, pics, maps, apps, etc to the phones 8gb memory. Then when you update you can restore the backup and its like you never did anything, accept you have automatic screen rotation.

I did it last night aswell with no porblems.

Find the backup at tools -> utilities -> memory -> Back up phone memory

Does that include Nokia Maps though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Macers wrote: »
    Does that include Nokia Maps though?

afaik NO. I think the op is worried about the 12 month subscription, which can be reactivated after a reinstall. I upgraded to the new Maps 2.0 from the old, and kept my subscription. It will ask you to purchase again, when you go to the menu, click the region you previously bought eg: Uk + Eire. Then options; 'update' and it should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I have an N95 that I'm looking to update from version 20.0.015 to the latest (30.0.015), but I bought a 3-year licence for the maps about 9 months ago. Is it straightforward enough to obtain a replacement one once I do update the phone?

Has anyone else been in the same boat recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

I have - from my expierence you should be fine. The new firmware comes with nokia maps 2.0 preinstalled. Nokia Maps 2.0 comes with a license manager which pulled my license after my update without any problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Cool, worked like a charm!

Maps 2.0 is very neat, it got a lock in seconds (indoors!), presumbly using network / assisted GPS. Very impressed so far.

Advertisement