Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband problem

Options
  • 03-06-2008 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hello

I have 2 laptops – 1 with Wireless LAN (IEEE802.11g), another with usual wired LAN.
    Broadband is BT via Phone Line.

My apt has 1 phone line, 2 phone sockets (bedroom and living room). Laptops are connected to different phone sockets via different ZYLEX routers (both wired).

The problem is that when laptop / router in living room uses Internet, another router (in bedroom) has no broadband signal (router DSL light is off) and vice versa.

How this can be resolved – can we use Internet on 2 laptops at the same time?
    Current ZYLEX router has only 1 LAN output.

Would wireless router help?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Normally a phone line can only support one Router at a time so you will need to use one router only...

Prob best to get a wireless router and use that for the wireless laptop and wired laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 VPS

Thanks for fast reply.

What router would you recommend? Main concerns are speed and range. Wireless signal must go through 2 walls in apt.

BT offers BT Voyager 2110 for 45 euro. Komplett has NETGEAR for 27 eur. (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=306987&view=detailed#ProductTabs)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I have used the netgear before and they are not bad decent enough signal range and easy to set up......

Bear in mind that if you buy the netgear router you will have to connect that into one of the wan ports of your zyxel router so you will have 2 routers plugged in (as in the netgear plugged into your zyxel which is then plaugged into your phone line)....

If you get the wireless one from your internet provider then they will have to help you set it up and help you if you have any problems....if you buy one yourself then its up to you to set it up and support it

Advertisement