Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Online Check in!

Options
  • 03-06-2008 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Flew with Ryanair to Gatwick at the weekend. Before my return journey on Sunday i attempted to check in online 5 hours before departure so i wouldnt have to pay the check in fee at the airport. The system wouldnt allow me to check in it kept giving me an error everytime i attempted it(7 times in total).
    When we got to the airport we queued up to check in. The check in lady informed us that we had not paid to check in and that we had to go to the serviceair desk and pay our fee. I told her that we had attempted to check in online and that it failed 7 times she said that it had nothing to do with her as she only works for serviceair. We then queued up at the serviceair desk and again we pleaded our case and got the same reply. I have spent the last 40 mins on the phone to ryanair head office and am still waiting to speak to someone(dont think i actually will get to speak to anyone!)

My question is how do i get my money refunded?
    Is it worth the hassle?

rant over!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

JAMM222 wrote: »
    You could try prayer.
    Is it worth the hassle?
    No. Ive heard of this happening before. Perhaps its a scam, perhaps its a strategy, I dont know. All we can hope to do is publicise it enough and complain so the powers that be notice. Eventually.

In fairness to servisair, they couldnt do anything. For all they knew you could have been to lazy to bother and were trying to get out of the fee. If they let you off, theyd have to let the whole queue off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I wouldn't bother trying to be honest. You have already wasted at least 40 mins on this + plus getting your self annoyed and stressed about it.

How much was it €5/€10. Not worth it in my opinion. I know people will say its the principal of the thing, and you cant let them get away with blah blah blah. But at the end of the day even if you get somewhere they will just refund your money and forget about you. Nothing will change, and you will still be anooyed of how much effort and time you had to put in trying to get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

in fairness the rep from serviceair was sound he also pointed out that i should apply for a refund and that if nobody bothered to do it they will just pocket the money as always!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

A friend of mine had a problem doing online check in earlier in the year, and they were checked in at the airport free as the staff had been informed of the problem. Sounds like you were unlucky there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

after my experiences with Ryanair this weekend I will no longer even entertain the idea of flying with them. I am a very regular flyer and have used ryanair due to cheap flights for long enough but now the tiny savings are not justified by the hassle and feeling that they are trying to milk every last penny from me.

My point in case is that I have to travel with a essential medical device (its about the size of a laptop bag) ... I have a letter from the hospital with asks that airlines allow it as an exempted piece of cabin baggage.

Every airline I have flown have no problem with this ..except Ryanair.

Normally I will have a piece of checked in luggage and this as hand luggage .. but this weekend I only had this and a very small travel case (about twice the size of a laptop bag) ... ryanair's check in staff insisted that I had to check in one of the bags for the lovely price of €18 ..each direction .. €36 in all, plus the joy of having to queue up twice at the checkin desk.

Most people travelling on the same plane had the same volume of hand luggage as me but alas that does not matter ... as long as they see a way of getting money they will use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Flew with Ryanair to Gatwick at the weekend. Before my return journey on Sunday i attempted to check in online 5 hours before departure so i wouldnt have to pay the check in fee at the airport. The system wouldnt allow me to check in it kept giving me an error everytime i attempted it(7 times in total).
    When we got to the airport we queued up to check in. The check in lady informed us that we had not paid to check in and that we had to go to the serviceair desk and pay our fee. I told her that we had attempted to check in online and that it failed 7 times she said that it had nothing to do with her as she only works for serviceair. We then queued up at the serviceair desk and again we pleaded our case and got the same reply. I have spent the last 40 mins on the phone to ryanair head office and am still waiting to speak to someone(dont think i actually will get to speak to anyone!)

Is it worth the hassle?

rant over!

You can check in online 5 days in advance so in future you should try and book in as early as possible. At least if it happened to be unavailable 1 day you still have a few days left to try again. Failing that, when you get to Dublin airport you could plead :rolleyes: your case with Ryanair staff

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The system wouldnt allow me to check in it kept giving me an error everytime i attempted it(7 times in total)

If it was down others wouldn't have been able to log in as well and should support your claim, makes it hard to prove though i guess. But if it was a fault on their end that you couldn't, you shouldn't have to pay!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lled14

lynchie wrote: »
    You can check in online 5 days in advance so in future you should try and book in as early as possible. At least if it happened to be unavailable 1 day you still have a few days left to try again. Failing that, when you get to Dublin airport you could plead :rolleyes: your case with Ryanair staff

Does this mean that you can check in the outward and return journey from home before you go if you are only going on a two day trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

lled14 wrote: »
    Does this mean that you can check in the outward and return journey from home before you go if you are only going on a two day trip?

YES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lled14

Great.........thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

whippet wrote: »
    after my experiences with Ryanair this weekend I will no longer even entertain the idea of flying with them. I am a very regular flyer and have used ryanair due to cheap flights for long enough but now the tiny savings are not justified by the hassle and feeling that they are trying to milk every last penny from me.

My point in case is that I have to travel with a essential medical device (its about the size of a laptop bag) ... I have a letter from the hospital with asks that airlines allow it as an exempted piece of cabin baggage.

Every airline I have flown have no problem with this ..except Ryanair.

Normally I will have a piece of checked in luggage and this as hand luggage .. but this weekend I only had this and a very small travel case (about twice the size of a laptop bag) ... ryanair's check in staff insisted that I had to check in one of the bags for the lovely price of €18 ..each direction .. €36 in all, plus the joy of having to queue up twice at the checkin desk.

Most people travelling on the same plane had the same volume of hand luggage as me but alas that does not matter ... as long as they see a way of getting money they will use it.

Why bother telling them the truth about your baggage at CHECK IN?

Security will let you through with two bags no problem, and the ground staff at the boarding gate won't give a second glance either unless you've got something ridiculously big, and even if they do take it off you for stowing I don't think they will charge you for it at that stage.

If Check in ask how many bags you're taking on board just say "one".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I've had security make me put my handbag in my carry on bag. I'm not sure they'd send you back though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

spockety wrote: »
    Why bother telling them the truth about your baggage at CHECK IN?

Security will let you through with two bags no problem, and the ground staff at the boarding gate won't give a second glance either unless you've got something ridiculously big, and even if they do take it off you for stowing I don't think they will charge you for it at that stage.

If Check in ask how many bags you're taking on board just say "one".

It depends on where you're flying from - in Dublin they'll let you through with more than one bag, in some UK airports they will not let you through security with two pieces of hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Ryanair are a f*cking disgrace. Simple as. OP, straight to www.consumerconnect.ie with you, for the love of god.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You will find it very difficult to prove that you did try to check in 5 hours before the flight as what proof have you?

Did you get through to ryanair customer service yet to ask them?

It happened to me going back from Germany where I forgot to check in until 3 hours before. At the time I didnt know one had to check in at least 4 hours (my own ignorance) but I told them the online checkin didnt work at the desk (because I didnt know it was my fault). The girl asked me if I had baggage, which I didnt, and she checked me in without charge - and this was in Germany of all places!

In the last 2/3 years I have travelled with ryanair more than 50 times and never once had a problem with them. Just last week I couldnt find my boarding pass and they sorted it out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭SpongeBob2000

I printed my borading card today(Monday) for Wed this week, but the return borading card wasn't printed off. Do I have to print my return flight separate for Sunday's flight? I am bit worry now! I want to get everything ready before I am going on my holiday this Wed. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Did you tick the two boxes to checkin for both flights at the same time?

You can go back to the checkin page online anyway and get it to redisplay your boarding cards for printing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

I printed my borading card today(Monday) for Wed this week, but the return borading card wasn't printed off. Do I have to print my return flight separate for Sunday's flight? I am bit worry now! I want to get everything ready before I am going on my holiday this Wed. :(

You can only checkin online 5 days in advance. As you are returning Sunday, you cannot checkin for the return leg until 5 days in advance, so depending on the time of the Sunday flight you may or may not be able to check in for it prior to departing on wednesday. As was said above, on Wed go back through the process again and print them off. If you cant print them off before you go you will have to print them while on your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭SpongeBob2000

robinph wrote: »
    Did you tick the two boxes to checkin for both flights at the same time?

You can go back to the checkin page online anyway and get it to redisplay your boarding cards for printing.

Thanks for reply! I am sure I did tick the boxes. do you think because it is 6 days between Monday to Sunday. Ryanair only allowed 5 days early to check in online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

You should probably be able to print of your return boarding pass today or tomorrow. It won't let you check in more than 5 days before your flight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Should really think of it as being 120hours before your flight that you can check in rather than 5 days to avoid confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭maps and atlas

I've flown with Ryanair many times and the only problems I've ever had flying with Ryanair was when dealing with Servisair. In fairness both times were my own fault, didn't have time to check-in online and overweight baggage. Servisair always come out with the line... it's not us it's Ryanair. I've never had a problem dealing directly with Ryanair staff.

Advertisement