Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accompanied to Driving Test Centre?

Options
  • 03-06-2008 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I'm on my third provisional license and because of this, I'm not allowed drive without a fully qualified driver in the car. I'll be going for the test soon and am wondering, could a tester have an issue with me driving to and from the test by myself? I've heard of testers not taking candidates due to L plates or car condition, so want to make sure this won't catch me out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The tester wont care how you arrive or leave, so long as you have your L plates up and everything else such as lights, are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

The tester wont care how you arrive or leave, so long as you have your L plates up and everything else such as lights, are working, you'll be grand.

Is this really the best advice to be giving out on this forum ? The OP would be driving illegally by arriving at the Test Centre unaccompanied. The tester may or may not care, but the guards might..

davej

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Actually I was on to SGS the other day about this and for anyone that needs a fully lisenced driver will them will be checked for one. My other half has to come with me tomorrow and bring her full lisence aswell incase they ask for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Actually I was on to SGS the other day about this and for anyone that needs a fully lisenced driver will them will be checked for one. My other half has to come with me tomorrow and bring her full lisence aswell incase they ask for it.

Never checked me or anybody I know who has done a test with them.

OP you shouldn't be driving unaccompanied but I have never heard of the SGS caring about this.

davej wrote: »
    Is this really the best advice to be giving out on this forum ? The OP would be driving illegally by arriving at the Test Centre unaccompanied. The tester may or may not care, but the guards might..

davej

Very true, the OP had already stated the fact that he was not legally allowed to drive on his own, i was just answering the question about the tester. So I have to agree and recommend that the OP drives accompanied.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I was on my 3rd provisional (or learner permit as its called now) when I did my test 2 weeks ago and I drove over unaccompanied. Since the first the instructor sees of you is in an office, how do they know how you got to the centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

davej wrote: »
    Is this really the best advice to be giving out on this forum ?
    It wasn't 'advice' - he was merely stating the reality of the situation.
    jonny24ie wrote: »
    Actually I was on to SGS the other day about this and for anyone that needs a fully lisenced driver will them will be checked for one
    The test begins when the candidate is called from the waiting room. RSA/SGS would have no legal authority to inspect the validity of the licence of a person other than that of a candidate for the test.
    Nightwish wrote: »
    Since the first the instructor sees of you is in an office, how do they know how you got to the centre?
    For the purposes of a driving test, it doesn't matter whether the examiner sees how a candidate arrives or not.

Even if he/she did see the person arriving, they would have no way of knowing whether the accompanied person had a valid driving licence in the correct category, without restrictions, and for the appropriate length of time (if required) nor would they know if the accompanied person was in a fit state to be acting as an accompanied driver.

The driving test begins when the candidate is called from the waiting room. How the candidate gets to the test centre is not within the remit of the examiner.

Persons on a Provisional Licence/Learner Permit (unless exempted) are legally obliged to be accompanied. The examiner is perfectly entitled, as is any other citizen, to report any illegal activity to the Gardai, should he/she wish to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

That all makes sense to me Wishbone. Thanks to all who got back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Done my test today and they didn't check or ask anything about how I got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

OP, just tell them that whoever was with you left, they didnt have the time to wait around or anything.

You will be waiting in a room for a few minutes, they shouldnt expect them to have to stay while you are there. It is illegal to drive unaccompanied, its not illegal (yet) to sit in a waiting room unaccompanied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OP, just tell them that whoever was with you left, they didnt have the time to wait around or anything
    If you had taken time to read any of the replies above, you would clearly see that there is no requirement on the candidate to prove that he/she was accompanied nor is it legally possible for the examiner to asertain whether he/she was legally accompanied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

How does a Learner Driver get to a test centre to do the test??????

What if you cannot get an full licenced driver to accompany you and the test centre if fair away???????????????

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

What if you cannot get an full licenced driver to accompany you

Then you don't do the test.

The Gardai might usefully hang around test centres to nab chancers.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Then you don't do the test.

well i wouldn't say that, if that's the case i'd recommend going out for a pretest before your test in your car, that way your instructor would be your accompanying driver. As for getting home...sure you'll pass:pac:.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think actually in the UK you may have to prove that you are accompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I had my test yesterday and after the tester clarified that i am on my first provisional he asked who accompanied me in the car to the test centre. I had their paper-work with me and put it on the table while doing the roadsigns section but he never asked to see the paper-work or anything.

We then went out and he looked for the 2L-plates (front and rear) before proceeding to the under-the-bonnet section

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

JP Liz wrote: »
    How does a Learner Driver get to a test centre to do the test??????

What if you cannot get an full licenced driver to accompany you and the test centre if fair away???????????????
    IOs this a serious question? You do realise that other countries do not allow learners to drive on their own don't you?

MrP

Advertisement