Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mazzer Super Jolly Bargain

• 03-06-2008 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

I'm unsure whether to put this here or not, as it could get messy.
    Basically I've been offered 3 second hand mazzer super jolly grinders by a reputable source for €400 (including shipping). I've comitted to one for myself (€150 incl shipping). But if there are two boardsies who would also like one I would buy all 3.

Make up your own mind, but he's shipping mine tomorrow. So if you get back to me today I can arrange it. They're coming from Holland, complete with hopper and lid, and have been described as "beautiful".

This is the kind of arrangement that could be a pain in the arse if things get messy with shipping etc. But I thought I'd put it out there, as I think it's truly an excellent deal.

Be warned though, its about 2 foot tall.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Really interested. Will get back to you within the hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

If you want to know the source I can PM you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Me interested too. PM on the way.

Khannie out
    SeaSide in

There's still one available so.

If someone else is interested in the next few hours let me know. Otherwise I'll just get the two.

Mr Last Minute Khannie!

Well done, so 3 Mazzer Super Jolly's should be leaving for Ireland today. I'd say next Monday will be the earliest we might see them, but should definitely be here next week at some stage (assuming they go in the post today - which the seller said they would).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Good job I didn't log on to coffee & tea yesterday, it would have cost me €150 notes I haven't got!

Enjoy your new grinders :)

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Mr Last Minute Khannie!

:D I just couldn't resist. Thanks again for posting up. Really appreciate it. Can't wait!

Celebrate good times... c'mon!

Got a note in the door yesterday - had missed a delivery.

This morning, picked up 3 big ass grinders. Quick inspection reveals they are all in good nic. A quick look down the bean shoot also reveals that the burrs all look in good condition. They're obviously no spring chickens, but I'd say they'll do as well as a new one off the shelf.

Go on you beauty! \o/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

That's some deal ye got. Are they the doser type?

• Advertisement

Yeah - doser jobbies alright. I believe there are ways and means to convert them though.

Yeah - doser jobbies alright. I believe there are ways and means to convert them though.

I'm all over this. :) Will report back when (with pics) I've done it.

Just got home with my mazzer sexy jolly. *purrrrrr*

Absolutely _quality_ piece of kit. Grinds from big chunks down to fine powder. Very very impressed.

Thanks again reactor.

my pleasure. worked out well. seaside still has to collect the last one. but i'd consider it a roaring success. lovely machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Great to see this kind of community building! Two foot tall would be too high for my kitchen anyway, but this was a great deal so fair play to one and all!

green with envy all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I agree hshortt. In fact I'm so gutted, i think we should lock the thread now to prevent further misery to those of us with too little room for coffee gear :P

Hehehe. Your jealousy only further increases my love for my new sexy sexy grinder. :D

I found a conversion kit to doserless on espressoparts.com but it was ching bloody ching (coming in at around $210 before shipping) so I had a look around and got in touch with an ebay seller who listed a kit (just for me!) with funnel instead of the tube on espressoparts. $150 (just under €100) for the lot, so I was happy enough with that. Seems like a decent chap too.

There are two more listed on ebay in case anyone else is interested.

linky.

I may revert to the doser after a while tbh. It's a really nice doser. I wish I could have both. :)

the doser mechanism is good, but it doesn't sweep the chamber all that clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

how much would a new super jolly cost? i've seen the big mazzer grinders, probably not the super jolly, in a lot of coffee places and always wondered what they'd cost.

€700 / €800 i think

• Advertisement

I emailed Mazzer yesterday with some photos of the grinder to see if they could age it. Reply this morning said it was of the 70s (so 30+ years old). He also said that the fork, the bottom plate of the doser, and the hopper were more recent parts, obviously replacing older ones. Interesting stuff.

Here's a pic for those who haven't seen em.

You can also see where it just doesn't fit under my counter top.

sl730402kt2.jpg

Here's a pic for those who haven't seen em.

sl730402kt2.jpg

You could remove the trim from the bottom of that press if you did want to put it under, just a thought...

I emailed Mazzer yesterday with some photos of the grinder to see if they could age it. Reply this morning said it was of the 70s (so 30+ years old). He also said that the fork, the bottom plate of the doser, and the hopper were more recent parts, obviously replacing older ones. Interesting stuff.

HOLY **** THAT'S SO COOL!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously. I'm really impressed with that. Vintage!

Likewise. :(

We have a reasonable amount of open counter space, but it looks a bit out of place or something. I think I'll need to get that silvia to go with it. ;)

@MrM
    I'm not removing trim from my shelf! My wife would throw me out. She's fairly understanding, but I think that would be a bridge too far.
    I could just buy the extra short mazzer mini hopper
    http://www.espressoparts.com/product/MAZ_85M/MAZ_85M__Mazzer_Mini_23_Size_Short_Grinder_Hopper__Mazzer_Extra_Short_Hopper.html
    Which would fit nicely.

@Khannie - you really should get the Silvia. All joking aside.They hold their value well for selling on too.

@Khannie - one of these would look nice next to your Mazzer:

http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/bellabarista_detail.asp?ProductID=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

@MrM
    I'm not removing trim from my shelf! My wife would throw me out. She's fairly understanding, but I think that would be a bridge too far.
    I could just buy the extra short mazzer mini hopper
    http://www.espressoparts.com/product/MAZ_85M/MAZ_85M__Mazzer_Mini_23_Size_Short_Grinder_Hopper__Mazzer_Extra_Short_Hopper.html
    Which would fit nicely.

Just buy a new kitchen to suit your equipment RE*AC*TOR! :D

@Khannie - one of these would look nice next to your Mazzer:

http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/bellabarista_detail.asp?ProductID=1

Good lord. That's very sexy looking. Very sexy looking indeed.
    hshortt wrote: »
    Just buy a new kitchen to suit your equipment RE*AC*TOR! :D

Thinking outside the box. I like it. :D

Khannie wrote: »
    Good lord. That's very sexy looking. Very sexy looking indeed.

Good, I can feel your urge to spend. I am defenseless. Take your credit card. Buy that espresso machine with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!

emperor.jpg

• Advertisement

HAHAHAHAHAHAhahahaha. Oh my god. Rollin' around the place here. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

I'm so envious.

Envy.

Envy envy.

Envy envy envy...

Green with envy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

I'll just have a tiny gloat too

rockbeer wrote: »
    I'm so envious.

Envy.

Envy envy.

Envy envy envy...

Green with envy.

But you have an ascaso i2! No reason to be THAT jealous.. Plus i'm sure it doesn't dwarf your kitchen. I'm gonna either have to get a shorter hopper, get a bigger kitchen or move the grinder on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

SeaSide wrote: »
    I'll just have a tiny gloat too

i think you mean a tiny goat!

spencer_tiny_1_1.jpg

/me gets coat

But you have an ascaso i2! No reason to be THAT jealous.. Plus i'm sure it doesn't dwarf your kitchen. I'm gonna either have to get a shorter hopper, get a bigger kitchen or move the grinder on.

Disaster. Hope you get the shorter hopper so.

No matter how big a kitchen is, I reckon I could fill it sensibly.

• Advertisement

yeah, can't leave it the draining board going forward. Probably order one from espressoparts..

Probably worth checking that lad I bought the conversion kit from. Even just drop him a PM on ebay. Espressoparts are thieves IMO.

Khannie - let me know when the doserless kit arrives, and if it fits well and is easy to install. I may drop yer man a mail and see if he can get the shorter hopper. Thinking of keeping both grinders and using the Grinta mostly for Vac Pot and the Super Jolly for espresso (i made a most exquisite vac pot brew this morning).

My only concern is that if I remove the doser from the SJ I'm gonna end up with clumping, and I'll have to WDT again.

Aside/ I'm going to buy one of those blade grinders for a pour-over, did you end up picking yours up from ebay Khannie?

Reactor: Will do. You just reminded me to pay the guy. :o I suppose it wont be delivered for another while yet so.... :(
    Aside/ I'm going to buy one of those blade grinders for a pour-over, did you end up picking yours up from ebay Khannie?

I got mine from ebay, yeah. I think it was 18 euro delivered. 22 tops. (edit: Just checked. €20.50 delivered) I'd give it to you, but I'm using it for grinding nuts now. :)

Why would you use a blade grinder for a pour over?

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    Why would you use a blade grinder for a pour over?

Because having to adjust the stepless MC2 between the grinds would make baby jesus cry.

I'd waste a serious amount of beans switching between the grinds even on a semi-regular basis.

Doserless conversion kit arrived today. I'll take some photos and document the switch over if anyone wants me to (please say so, otherwise I wont be arsed tbh).

Definitely do.

Go for it Khannie, it would be a handy reference for anyone doing a conversion on any type of grinder.

Righto. Will do.

Just got a mail off the ebay seller saying he'd sent me the wrong motor plate cover (he'd sent one for the mazzer mini) and that the correct one was on its way. I don't think the cover's a pre-requisite for the conversion, but I'll probably wait anyway.

balls

Right, given the (small) size of my kitchen, and the ensuing little bundle of joy (baby) on the way. I'm going to reluctantly sell on the Mazzer.

I could probably make a profit on the whole affair by flogging it on ebay - but (a) I would prefer to sell it to a fellow boardsie, and (b) i'd prefer not to have to give ebay / paypal a cut.

So anyone who want a Mazzer Jolly grinder - letting it go for €150.

Pros - Very consistent super grinder. Built like a tank. Very fast grinding. Professional machine all round. Regarded as industry leader.
    Cons - Big. Doser suited to professional environment more than home.

Congratulations on the pending arrival RE*AC*TOR, best of luck to both of you. Is this the first?

I'd be tempted by the Jolly but I just don't have anywhere for it :-(

Have you got another grinder or will you be purchasing?

Congratulations on the pending arrival RE*AC*TOR, best of luck to both of you. Is this the first?

I'd be tempted by the Jolly but I just don't have anywhere for it :-(

Have you got another grinder or will you be purchasing?

Yeah - its our first - due early August.

I have my NS Grinta. Seriously considering leaping into bed with an Ascaso I2 though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement