Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Greek Drama

Options
  • 03-06-2008 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

So I have never posted here before but I was wondering what other peoples favourite Greek Drama and why?
    My personal favourite is Aeschylus Persae/The Persians. It has many of the features associated with a tragedy but gives historical details that are not seen in the likes of Thucydides and the later Roman historians. It is the oldest surviving Greek Drama dating from 472 BC. As Aeschylus was more than likely in the Athenian army during the Persian wars it is likely that the historical facts displayed have a legitimatacy to them. It is almost an anti-war drama which portrays the Persians humanely and not as bloodthirsty barbarians, which is how the Athenians viewed them. Aeschylus warns Athens to be wary of Persia's fate and to not fall in the same trap, which they do when they are defeated by the Peloponnesesian powers by the end of the 5th Century BC. It is also the only surviving Greek drama based on a historical event out of the 40-50 that survive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

So nobody likes one the cornerstones of the Western Literature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I've only read oedipus rex,which isn't bad.I find things like aristotle's unities interesting and worth exploring,but I wouldn't immediately
    think 'ancient greek,now thats something I can get into'.Apart from a historical perspective of where drama evolved from I wouldn't be that interested.Posted via Mobile Device

Advertisement