Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would I get a power box for a PA system in Dublin.

Options
  • 03-06-2008 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I am using 13amp extension leads with my PA and am blowing fuses to the extent of having to use silver paper in my extension lead. :eek:. It was suggested to me to get a power box with 16 amp plug. Most larger venues that cater for live bands will have outlets for these. Can anyone suggest a good make and where to get?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I presume you're talking about 3 phase power. Best thing to do is speak to a qualified electrician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Savman wrote: »
    I presume you're talking about 3 phase power. Best thing to do is speak to a qualified electrician.
    Not sure, all my gear i single phase but I was told some of these boxes will run from a three phase supply to even out the power output. I believe these can be bought over the counter for about e200

Dude seriously speak to a Pro. You've already said you're in the habit of blowing Subs, now you say you're blowing fuses, something is most definitely wrong with the way you're using your rig, if not the rig itself. Knowledge is power.

If I'm not mistaken weren't you championing the use of old style analogue amps on this board recently? A pattern is emerging here methinks. Now might be the time to move over to light-weight switching amplifiers that are easier on the wall sockets.

Savman wrote: »
    Dude seriously speak to a Pro. You've already said you're in the habit of blowing Subs, now you say you're blowing fuses, something is most definitely wrong with the way you're using your rig, if not the rig itself. Knowledge is power.

If I'm not mistaken weren't you championing the use of old style analogue amps on this board recently? A pattern is emerging here methinks. Now might be the time to move over to light-weight switching amplifiers that are easier on the wall sockets.
    Never mentioned anything about blowing subs. These power boxes are commonly used by live bands that draw an excessive amount of power i.e floodlamps, power amps etc. etc so I can't see the big deal about them. I have placed this topic in the bands section. http://www.rubberbox.co.uk/small-boxes/140_box.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

These yokes? http://cgi.ebay.ie/16A-CEE-230V-MALE-INLINE-PLUG-CARAVAN_W0QQitemZ290235505156QQihZ019QQcategoryZ7285QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They are not three phase........same as regular 13a plugs apart from the fact they are much bigger.

If you spread the load a bit you might not need them........otherwise you can wire your trailing socket into one of those. I've a few of them and they work well when the venues actually have provision for them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ken.m

hi
    look up studio solutions, they are in ballycoolin ind est, its between finglas and blanchardstown they are very helpfull

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

having to use silver paper

This is highly DANGEROUS, if not plain stupid.

A fuse is protection , if it blows it's because there's a problem.

That problem may just be too many things plugged in .
    It may also indicate many other faults.

Darren in Studio Solutions is a great guy but, like us, doesn't specialize in PA.

There are lots of PA companies in the Golden Pages.

Get a Pro on board before you do yourself, or someone else, damage.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    This is highly DANGEROUS, if not plain stupid.

A fuse is protection , if it blows it's because there's a problem.
    Get a Pro on board before you do yourself, or someone else, damage.
    This is what I've been trying to say but the OP doesn't seem to want to listen. I'm no expert, but you cannot "wing it" as far as Electricity is concerned.

The mere thought....:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

The big venues will have a 16amp C-form single phase but many, many, many of the other venues you get to will look at you like you have two heads and point at the kitchen's three phase. If the gear is designed to run on a 13 amp plug then it should be able to do so. Silver foil is bad, bad, bad and if someone gets a whack of it or a fire breaks out you could be looking at criminal charges. Not the greatest craic in the world.

You say you are adding on extension leads; exactly where in the chain is the fuse blowing? Is it always the same spot? Does it occur at similar times with gear on a certain time, or cooling fans kicking in etc? Are you ever tripping the mains power distro in the venue? Are you using any USA gear in there? the chances are it's basic BUT you've got to be aware that a lose piece of exposed cabling could be blowing your fuses and could be enough to give someone a bad bang if not sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Dont go messing at that. Just get it sorted properly. Your looking for a quick fix for something that should not be happening and that is too serious to merit any other solution

• Advertisement

Found what I was looking for. Company in the UK manufactures them.

http://www.rubberbox.co.uk/on-the-shelf/small_boxes/RUB1401.html

Looks like a good site alright. You should still troubleshoot your system regardless though. Moving up into the industrial stuff won't mean a thing if you've incorrect cabling or something else really funky going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Found what I was looking for. Company in the UK manufactures them.

http://www.rubberbox.co.uk/on-the-shelf/small_boxes/RUB1401.html

I use rubberbox distros all the time. We had a couple of big ones last night driving the screens at <snip> in <snip>. Great products and widely used for very good reason.

frobisher wrote: »
    I use rubber box distros all the time. Had a couple of big ones last night driving the screens at Radiohead in Malahide. Great products and widely used for very good reason.
    A guy in Ennis put me on to them. That unit works out close to e200 with courier charges from the UK taken into account. Its worth paying for quality

Its Worth Paying For Quality

:d

That unit works out close to e200 with courier charges from the UK taken into account.

200 quid? That's a LOT of tinfoil ....:)

:D:D:D

Ah it's a good time to buy anything from the UK. Weak pound n' all.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    200 quid? That's a LOT of tinfoil ....:)

Euro i said in my post :rolleyes:

Euroquids I meant in mine ;)

Run to da hills!

I see Aldi are doing rolls of Barbecue Fuses this week!
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week24thursday08.htm
    :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement