Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320d or Lexus 220d ?????

Options
  • 03-06-2008 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

I've decided to buy myself a new motor this coming August/September.

I've narrowed my choice to either the BMW 320d or the Lexus 220d. I'm not buying new ... I'm aiming for 2006/07 with about 50km on the clock.

I've test driven both cars (again) as recently as this morning, and I'm still undecided.

So, does anyone have any opinions/experience on either of these cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Soarer

Having never driven either, I'd plum for the Lexus.
    I just think they stand out from the crowd.

*whistle* Here E92. Come and explain the virtues of the 320d. Good boy. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

Don't get me wrong, the 320D is a lovely car, but they're really common and dont come with as much standard kit as the 220D.

Personally i'd go for the 220D, beautiful looking car, strong residuals and far better reliability.

A word of advice if your thinking of opting for the Beemer though - used 3 series prices are going to fall in the months following July 1st. BMW Ireland have released their revised July prices, and the new price list shows huge savings for new car buyers. For example, the 318i ES Saloon will drop €4,484 off its current price, while the 318d ES Saloon will cost €38,206, down €6,594!

At present, a 2007 318d ES is making €38,995 on the used car market, however that residual value is likely to fall by at least 4 or 5K post July 1st as new models will be available cheaper. This in turn, will push prices down on the majority of used 3 series for sale, particularly those on 05, 06 and 07 plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Soarer wrote: »

E92 will probably have something a little more useful to contribute than you do!

Maybe we should ban anyone with anything positive/useful to say and leave the place to the likes of you Soarer.

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    I've decided to buy myself a new motor this coming August/September.

I've narrowed my choice to either the BMW 320d or the Lexus 220d. I'm not buying new ... I'm aiming for 2006/07 with about 50km on the clock.

I've test driven both cars (again) as recently as this morning, and I'm still undecided.

So, does anyone have any opinions/experience on either of these cars?

Given the crazy prices diesel have now reached would you consider the petrol versions of either car? How many Km's a year do you drive, there was a thread on here recently about the merits for the slightly less efficient cheaper to buy/fuel petrol versus the more expensive intitial outlay/higher diesel costs albeit with better economy, so depending on your mileage in many cases the petrol is the more economical option.

Between the cars, i have only driven the 320D nice drive, handles well but the current shape 3 Series is very dependent on wheels/colour to look good & extras can be thin on the ground in some of the cheaper models, where as the Lexus seems to be loaded to the gills with standard equipment.

I personally think the Lexus is a nicer car to look at on the outside and the BMW is a nicer place be on the inside, I'm not into the Japanese matt black plastic dashboards's myself.

If I had to choose I'd pick the more enjoyable car to drive as first deciding factor, looks second and toys thirdly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Victor_M wrote: »
    E92 will probably have something a little more useful to contribute than you do!

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Maybe we should ban anyone with anything positive/useful to say and leave the place to the likes of you Soarer.

Thanks for the replies guys ... keep em coming!

E92 has been a fantastic contributor to this site and I'm hoping he will add his advice to this thread. Dont slag him off till you have contributed as much please.

I'm fairly well up on the post July VRT changes ... I'm buying in September probably (and might even wait til Jan 2009).

And (after a few hours thought) I'm beginning to lean towards the Lexus ...

Given the crazy prices diesel have now reached would you consider the petrol versions of either car? How many Km's a year do you drive, there was a thread on here recently about the merits for the slightly less efficient cheaper to buy/fuel petrol versus the more expensive intitial outlay/higher diesel costs albeit with better economy, so depending on your mileage in many cases the petrol is the more economical option.

Between the cars, i have only driven the 320D nice drive, handles well but the current shape 3 Series is very dependent on wheels/colour to look good & extras can be thin on the ground in some of the cheaper models, where as the Lexus seems to be loaded to the gills with standard equipment.

I personally think the Lexus is a nicer car to look at on the outside and the BMW is a nicer place be on the inside, I'm not into the Japanese matt black plastic dashboards's myself.

If I had to choose I'd pick the more enjoyable car to drive as first deciding factor, looks second and toys thirdly.

Excellent reply ... thanks.

I would consider petrol.

I'm driving approximately 50km per year.

Just interested in your comment about the BMW ... what combination of wheels/colour/extras do you think looks best?

I have a budget of about €25-27k btw :D

Excellent reply ... thanks.

I would consider petrol.

I'm driving approximately 50km per year.

Just interested in your comment about the BMW ... what combination of wheels/colour/extras do you think looks best?

I have a budget of about €25-27k btw :D

Something like This price is out of your budget just an example.

Too many black with standard wheels about the place. Some nice blue colours available or the graphite gray is nice too, with a set of 17 or 18" alloys (make sure to test drive though as the ride comfort will suffer a bit with the bigger wheels).
    MPack is down to personal taste, I personally like the look of the Mpack, but would opt for a more powerful engine if I had to choose between 2 at the same price. Too many 316's with mpacks going around where the money for the mpack would be much better spent on the engine.

Christ, I thought we could have a bit of banter on here as well as giving advice. Didn't realise everyone was so touchy.

It was a pisstake on my part, and I thought a fairly obvious one.

For what it's worth OP, I gave my opinion in my first reply. Got overlooked though with all the high horses around.:rolleyes:

Christ, I thought we could have a bit of banter on here as well as giving advice. Didn't realise everyone was so touchy.

It was a pisstake on my part, and I thought a fairly obvious one.

For what it's worth OP, I gave my opinion in my first reply. Got overlooked though with all the high horses around.:rolleyes:

Despite the fact that;
    (a) you have never driven either car,
    (b) you dont have anything specific to say about either car, and
    (c) you took a pop at a valued and excellent contributor to the motors forum,

I still thank you for your contribution :D

Now can I ask you not to derail this thread with any more comments about E92 or "high horses" please?

Many thanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Interesting thread. I had never considered a BMW until recently as I seen one on a dealers website that I really liked. However it's sold now so I guess I won't be buying anytime soon. It was a 320D SE I think, 2006 with 50,000 miles on it. I don't know what it sold for though, as soon as I heard it was gone I lost interest.

Regarding the VRT, I checked that out as I'm in the north and was interested to see how much it would cost to import. After July 1st the VRT would have dropped by approximately 3000 euro. That would pay for the insurance for about 2-3 years :)

Despite the fact that;
    (a) you have never driven either car,
    (b) you dont have anything specific to say about either car, and
    (c) you took a pop at a valued and excellent contributor to the motors forum,

I still thank you for your contribution :D

Now can I ask you not to derail this thread with any more comments about E92 or "high horses" please?

Many thanks :D

Maybe you should look into getting a high horse? I hear there's great all round visibility! ;)

But back on topic, and to defend myself a little:
    (a) You asked for an opinion on either car, and I gave you my opinion. If you'd have asked for "only people that have driven either car", I'd not have posted anything.
    (b) Yes I did. I said I'd plum for the Lexus as I think they stand out from the crowd. If you'd like me to clarify: I think the 320d is common as muck, and although it's a great car by all accounts, I reckon the IS220d is just as good but stands out from the crowd more.
    (c) I wasn't having a pop. It was just a bit of banter. If I was having a go at E92, or had any reason to have a go at him, I'd have started my own thread! ;)

Anyway, sorry your thread got a bit sidetracked over me. You're in a nice position to be able to choose between those cars. If it was me and my money, I'd get the Lexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I wasn't having a pop. It was just a bit of banter

Fair enough, but I don't want you showing up on my TrolloMeter for the next while ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

As a huge BMW fan I still have to say I would plug for the lexus. My partner has a e90 and I have a e92. The e92 looks good while the e90 while not unattractive is a bit dull. I agree that the wheels are really important and big one look much better. Silver one are particular dull. They drive really well though, RWD is real boost. The 20d engine is really a winner, economical and powerful. The lexus looks really nice, almost coupe ish. The engines are not quite as good and the drive is FWD and a bit less refined. not as economical either (marginally).

So do you want a German car or a Toyota...he he I am biased. The badge will cost you but people always want the prestige brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As a huge BMW fan I still have to say I would plug for the lexus. My partner has a e90 and I have a e92. The e92 looks good while the e90 while not unattractive is a bit dull. I agree that the wheels are really important and big one look much better. Silver one are particular dull. They drive really well though, RWD is real boost. The 20d engine is really a winner, economical and powerful. The lexus looks really nice, almost coupe ish. The engines are not quite as good and the drive is FWD and a bit less refined. not as economical either (marginally).

So do you want a German car or a Toyota...he he I am biased. The badge will cost you but people always want the prestige brands.

IS220 is RWD like the previous model afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

With an impending recession buy the lexus - you won't have to remortgage the house to repair it when it goes wrong, and people won't think you are a photocopier salesman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Didn't realise I've been causing such a stir in my almost 3 day absence:)!

But since I've driven neither, it wouldn't be fair to say which is in fact better, but the E90 is a very good car to be a passenger in at any rate. I have no experience whatsoever of the Lexus, but it does leave me a bit cold looks and interior wise.

The 320d engine I've driven(in the 520d)...it's very good for a diesel(it certainly doesn't suit the 5 series but in the smaller and lighter 3 series it should be well able for that car), which is a bit like saying that Ireland losing to Germany 0-1 in Soccer is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I doubt the people slagging off the interior of the IS ever been in one. It's a very high quality place to be in, and the dash clocks are like looking at masterpriece Swiss watches. Add in great spec levels and optional stuff like a 14-speaker Mark Levinson sound system and it's a tough act to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ive been in one, certainly didnt look down at my swiss watch and think hmmm this looks familiar.

1786644401.jpg

the engine isnt particularily refined, rear leg space is terrible, driving position is quite high. you get loads of standard kit but the interior still isnt of the same quality as a bmw or audi,

and someone was making a comment about looking like a photocopier salesman in the 320. what will you like in the lexus when all the japanese special editions start to be driven by the skangers ;)

It's not supposed to look like a swatch

• Advertisement

cancan wrote: »
    It's not supposed to look like a swatch

exactly ;)

oh and if swatches are your idea of a swiss watch :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

bazz26 wrote: »
    IS220 is RWD like the previous model afaik.

My mistake....didn't realize Toyota did rdw...good for them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Is that the interior of the new model? If so its taken a step down from the last model. My mate has the IS220 Sport and it I had a quick go in it. Very nice sound from the engine and the dash looks great. Plus it has the ferrari style gearstick!
    If it had paddle gearshift (auto), then it's an IS250

Lads since when was the overall measure of a car decided by the quality of the plastics in the cabin or what corner of Germany it is from?

It seems to be a common theme in these parts lately. We are starting to sound like some of them over on octane.ie :pac:

Cyrus wrote: »
    exactly ;)

oh and if swatches are your idea of a swiss watch :p

Well a 320d is not my idea of a proper BMW, so I could only assume your taste in watches mirrored your taste in cars:)

And baz, leave octane out of it, and be glad that you have a place you can discuss the relative merits of 2 boring diesels that an aspiring sales reps get stiffies over.

Er i made a choice between a 320d and the is, its marginal but i'd go for the bmw. But i never said that a 320d would be a personal choice, quite the opposite in fact :)
    Well a 320d is not my idea of a proper BMW, so I could only assume your taste in watches mirrored your taste in cars:)

And baz, leave octane out of it, and be glad that you have a place you can discuss the relative merits of 2 boring diesels that an aspiring sales reps get stiffies over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Isn't the engine in the IS220D regarded as hugely inferior to the Bimmer unit? I remember it being praised in the Avensis but supposedly not up to the same levels of refinement and drivability for a car in the next class up?

I think pre-July 08 diesels, esp biggish 07s are gonna drop like a stone value-wise though. With the new tax bands making it massively cheaper to both buy and tax a 08 car (AFAIK a IS220D will be €827 a year in the old system!) they'll be VERY unattractive alongside newer, low-polluting diesels like the 320D.

So even though I think the Lexus is the nicer, more distinctive-looking choice I'd avoid like the plague...

Thanks. There is so many nice things said of this forum over there that I thought I would return the favor. ;)

Anyway back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

bazz26 wrote: »
    Lads since when was the overall measure of a car decided by the quality of the plastics in the cabin or what corner of Germany it is from?

It seems to be a common theme in these parts lately. We are starting to sound like some of them over on octane.ie :pac:
    Quality of cabin plastics is important to lots of users on this forum. Half this thread is about cabin plastics.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

well if its looking to compete in a sector dominated by audi and bmw cabin plastics are important, as is engine refinement.

whats ok in an avensis isnt ok in a lexus

Advertisement