Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crossing Dublin, no straightforward route

• 03-06-2008 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

I had to direct someone (tourist in a car) through the city center the other day. I realised in doing this that its actually quite difficult to get straightforward route through Dublin anymore. Theres so many one way roads now, that nothing really lines up easily in terms of a route when crossing the city.

The tourist made the comment while it makes sense to limit the amount of traffic going through the city, it makes no sense to cause congestion all across the city center by poor design. It serves no one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well from South to North you can use the N11 and then follow the signs for the airport.

Easy as can be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

it really depends on where your going / coming from.
    i can think of a number of ways to cross the city centre with relative ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

micmclo wrote: »
    Well from South to North you can use the N11 and then follow the signs for the airport.

Easy as can be :)

Pease Street one way and probably the slowest moving road in the city. I wouldn't call that simple either. With a big dog leg around the Green and Dawson St. Anyway it was D.15 > Ranelagh. I guess most cities aren't straight forward, unless on a grid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

BostonB wrote: »
    I had to direct someone (tourist in a car) through the city center the other day. I realised in doing this that its actually quite difficult to get straightforward route through Dublin anymore. Theres so many one way roads now, that nothing really lines up easily in terms of a route when crossing the city.

The tourist made the comment while it makes sense to limit the amount of traffic going through the city, it makes no sense to cause congestion all across the city center by poor design. It serves no one.
    If we make it easier to drive through the centre of Dublin then more people will do so. Through-traffic detracts from the livability of the city. There was an effort to promote signage for a ring road to avoid the city centre but it ended in a turf war and fair complaints that the signs were confusing so nothing was done.

One route from D15 to ranelagh without going through an lar is N3/Old Cabra Road/ turn right onto NCR / infirmary rd, conyngham rd, left onto suir rd , along the grand canal to ranelagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You still need to be able to get from A-B, and it makes no sense to make it awkward off peak as on peak times. As there no alternatives, all it achieves is traffic being held up longer in the city. Thats hardly adding livability to the city. Having gridlock smogging up the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

BostonB wrote: »
    Pease Street one way and probably the slowest moving road in the city. I wouldn't call that simple either. With a big dog leg around the Green and Dawson St. Anyway it was D.15 > Ranelagh. I guess most cities aren't straight forward, unless on a grid.

D15-Ranelagh...

I would suggest:
    Through Phoenix Park; North Quays; right at Church Street bridge, Bridge Street, High Street, Nicholas St, Patrick St, Clanbrassil St., South Circular Road, Harrington Street, and then around the loop at Kelly's Corner to Charlemont Street.

Not too tricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

TCD will always cause issues for road traffic given its size and central location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 de breeze

KC61 wrote: »
    D15-Ranelagh...

I would suggest:
    Through Phoenix Park; North Quays; right at Church Street bridge, Bridge Street, High Street, Nicholas St, Patrick St, Clanbrassil St., South Circular Road, Harrington Street, and then around the loop at Kelly's Corner to Charlemont Street.

Not too tricky.

Yes, but only if you know where you're going. There are no direction signs whatever around the Kellys corner loop if heading for N11. Not sure about the other sections...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

de breeze wrote: »
    Yes, but only if you know where you're going. There are no direction signs whatever around the Kellys corner loop if heading for N11. Not sure about the other sections...

The OP wasn't going to the N11...but Ranelagh.

There are two fully signposted loops (inner and outer) around the city, that may take a little longer, but which are relatively easy to use.

The reality is that DCC are trying to avoid cross-city traffic from using the city centre area if at all possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

TCD will always cause issues for road traffic given its size and central location.

Indeed, it is an obstacle, they should remove it forthwith :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement