Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

16.3HH vs 5ft3

• 03-06-2008 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I’ve just recently gotten back into horse-riding, taking lessons. I took a break for a few years after a bad fall and lost my nerve. I really need to get my confidence back.
    A friend has offered me a loan of his 16.3hh, 18 year old, school master, that he no longer uses. .
    I went to see the horse at the weekend, but couldn’t even try to get up on him, I was so nervous. My friend brought the horse in and rode him around after 2 years at grass. An unbelievably quiet horse, but very tall.

Would a 16’3hh horse be considered too big for me? A nervous female, 5’3”, 10 stone.? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I used to ride 16.2hh horses and I am 5'4 and about the same weight. It takes a bit of used to, getting used to their big stride etc. if you are used to riding ponies but after an hour or so you get into the swing of things and get used to it. as for the getting up part, mounting blocks are your friends! I used to stand up on a beer keg to get on lol.

if your nervous maybe just try walking him around and then when you feel comfortable at a walk, have a go at trotting and then a canter when you feel comfortable at the trot and so on. As long as he has no vices and has good brakes :p you should be fine.
    another thing is about horses, IMO they are easier to jump as a biggish fence doesn't seem as big on a horse as it does on pony because they don't need to put as much effort into the jump so that's good if your a bit nervous about jumping like myself.

Good Luck! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

I wouldn't consider it too big for your size and I'm smaller than you and have ridden 17.2 horses but if you are nervous then the size won't help. It is hard though when you feel very small on them.
    Maybe you could continue with the lessons and occasionally ride the horse until you get your confidence back.
    There is no point rushing yourself as you will end up just giving yourself a fright.
    Good Luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I would agree with xxkarenxx Take your time and contiune with the lessons and if you feel then you are readt to take on the horse do so.
    But as you said you lost your nerve from a bad fall so if you feel that you are too small for this horse this thought will always be at the back of your mind and it may prevent you from moving on.
    When you do get up on the 16 3 you may start thinking about how far it is to the ground and this type of thoughts prevent you from progressing.
    I know the horse is quiet and is fine to ride as you have said but at the end of the day it is your self you have to convince!

Good luck with whatever you do

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rainbow78

Thanks for the advice.
    I will continue with the lessons for another few weeks and then decide on either the loan of the giant or purchase of a smaller horse. As my friend said a bad fall could be had off a 13.2hh as easliy as a 16.3hh, which is true enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Another point, Rainbow. I've known some very calm and easy-going horses of over 16hh and I've known many, many many little brats of under 14hh so height isn't everything.

But you don't give any indication as to what breed of horse this is. You might feel more secure on a more heavy-set horse than a warmblood, who are quite often a lot more bolshy.

As always though we can only generalise. Every horse is different. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement