Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Huge difference between local mechanic and Authorised dealer

Options
  • 03-06-2008 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

I got a new alternator last week for my 05 Saab 1.9 tid - after finding out the old one was gone - I rang a friend (mechanic) to see if he could get me a new one- he got me one at cost price (very very nice of him) and got it put into the car which cost me an extra €150 for labour etc.
    Anyway I decided to ring an Authorised dealer this morning to price the exact same job- they said a new alternator would be €415 more then what I Paid - overall the job would have cost me €500 more if I had gone through them!! Just shows I will never be going through authorised dealers to get a job done on the car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

But you would have gotten a nice cup of tea, free internet & a courtesy car :D

OK I know, I'm being cynical......

But you are right, if you have an independent mechanic that knows what he is doing it's definitely the option to go with. he doesn't have the overheads of the fancy glass showroom along with the vast rolling stock that seems to be more permanent than desired these days.

Advertisement