Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lake(s) in Laois

Options
  • 03-06-2008 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

I just happened to come across this lake whilst out walking the dogs. I think it's in Garrynahinch (could be wrong with the name there). It's just up past the new McMahons site and take a left were the old railway tracks are.

Anyone else on here go up there? It's beautiful! If you do go up there, do you know how I can get a key to open the gate so I can drive up all the way.

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

Haha yeah that's just beside my in-laws house. We know it as Porto Rica... It's a manmade beach..Don't think they let you drive in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Also known as the Costa Del Sod...:D

Thats closer to Derryville (spelling)? Garryhinch is the other side of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

or else they call it portown instead of courtown:D..... twas defo the place to go a few years back, dunno whatas its like now

there's a lot of lads shooting up there and with an absolute clutz of a dog I tend to stay away!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

LeahBaby wrote: »
    Haha yeah that's just beside my in-laws house. We know it as Porto Rica... It's a manmade beach..Don't think they let you drive in

LB I've seen people drive all the way up. I'm just wondering were they got the keys from to open the gate. I assume you have to apply to someone.

I love it up there as do the dogs. It's the only thing (swimming) that tires out one of the mad three that I have.

Here's mad Zara swimming

• Advertisement

I presume it's the Laois CC. Then. A co-worker told me they had tea-rooms etc planned for it but it wasn't funded...!!

Only thing I can suggest for you and the lovely doggies is drive up to the gate and park in the bay beside it. that's what we do. Road is dodgey though

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Cheers LB, that's what we normally do.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,464 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

as far as i know the lakes were created as nurseries for fish...

There used to be a lot of swimming in it a few years ago, but i think this is frowned on now.... to much rubbish left around, plus insurance issues etc...

it is nice for a walk though on a sunny day....

Other close lakes would be Ballyfin... a bit dirty from what i remember... and theres one in clonaslee which is lovely...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

sydthebeat wrote: »
    as far as i know the lakes were created as nurseries for fish...

There used to be a lot of swimming in it a few years ago, but i think this is frowned on now.... to much rubbish left around, plus insurance issues etc...

it is nice for a walk though on a sunny day....

Other close lakes would be Ballyfin... a bit dirty from what i remember... and theres one in clonaslee which is lovely...

Emo court has a lake aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

its belonging to portarlington angling club and only they have they keys for it. Fly fishing only unforunatly and its €60 a year membership. it was made about 10 years ago or so to stock fish as the river had got so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭token56

Steve_o wrote: »
    Emo court has a lake aswell.

Emo court is one of the best amenities in Laois. Especially when the weather is good like it has been the past few days its a great place to just go and stroll about, or run as I do

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Their is the mass lough out in Ballinakill.

Did a google search and found this
    http://www.laoistourism.ie/activities-page28329.html

Their is also a cool lake out in Ballyfin. In the college. I think it might be closed to the public now though

Advertisement