Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Leahy on 2fm

• 03-06-2008 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I sometimes tune into Will Leahy show at 5 pm on 2fm , however lately I find myself switching channel almost immediately due to the annoying 'comments' of the sports presenter eamon. Every time the DJ says something , eamon interrupts with a 'funny' comment, it really annoys me! Am I alone in this thinking??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Moved to Radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

First off Will Leahy is the most generic DJ on radio.He and a lot of other DJs are almost afraid to go against the grain of usual presenters by not playing the latest Rihanna song to death.
    It is easy to tell if they are common because they still play that ****ing Mundy song.

Isn't Eamon the sports reporter on RTE news too.He is about as fun as sitting on rusty nails.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

First off Will Leahy is the most generic DJ on radio.He and a lot of other DJs are almost afraid to go against the grain of usual presenters by not playing the latest Rihanna song to death.
    It is easy to tell if they are common because they still play that ****ing Mundy song.

Isn't Eamon the sports reporter on RTE news too.He is about as fun as sitting on rusty nails.

Most "generic" DJ :confused:Leahy in my opinion has lost the run of himself completely - guy's a country solicitor from Limerick and of course is a Munster rugby fan (Arent they all) makes all the usual RTE mistakes of never letting a seconds be "heard" an does the usual fawning over the likes of Walshe / and various UK deadbeats.

How did he manage the "Will" name from Limerick ??? Freekin mystery :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 lampydoo

I have to disagree with you all, I would listen to Will's show quite often and I find it to be a breath of fresh air on the radio! Calling him "the most generic DJ on radio" is waaay of the mark, now I'm by no means a fan on 2FM I find it bland, boring and think it has gone off the boil along time ago but I think he is one of its best assets.

The show is well prepped and entertaining, remember the target demographic and audience for that daypart. They are 18-34's who are on the way home from work, college or school. They want light hearted humor, if you want anything else you know where the tuner button is!

Saying he is "almost afraid to go against the grain of usual presenters by not playing the latest Rihanna song to death" makes no sence, hello... this is commercial radio! He is hardly going to lash out Tiesto or Iron Maiden at 5 in the afternoon, if he did I think you'd find alot more people than yourself tuning out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I completely agree with lampydoo. I find Will a much better choice than any of the other DJ's on 2FM. I also find the extra Dublin based hosts like Laura Woods and Eamon Horan to be a good addition to the show. Will is obviously a very clever guy, able to make quips in a heartbeat. I don't know how his ratings compare to Ruth Scott who used to occupy that slot, but I suspect they have improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I like Will Leahy, he's definitely able to present 'in the spur of the moment', he's a genuinely humourous guy, quick with a gag and makes a refreshing change from the all too numerous Dublin dj's on the national airwaves.

lampydoo wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you all, I would listen to Will's show quite often and I find it to be a breath of fresh air on the radio! Calling him "the most generic DJ on radio" is waaay of the mark, now I'm by no means a fan on 2FM I find it bland, boring and think it has gone off the boil along time ago but I think he is one of its best assets.

The show is well prepped and entertaining, remember the target demographic and audience for that daypart. They are 18-34's who are on the way home from work, college or school. They want light hearted humor, if you want anything else you know where the tuner button is!

Saying he is "almost afraid to go against the grain of usual presenters by not playing the latest Rihanna song to death" makes no sence, hello... this is commercial radio! He is hardly going to lash out Tiesto or Iron Maiden at 5 in the afternoon, if he did I think you'd find alot more people than yourself tuning out.
    I completely agree with lampydoo. I find Will a much better choice than any of the other DJ's on 2FM. I also find the extra Dublin based hosts like Laura Woods and Eamon Horan to be a good addition to the show. Will is obviously a very clever guy, able to make quips in a heartbeat. I don't know how his ratings compare to Ruth Scott who used to occupy that slot, but I suspect they have improved.
    grenache wrote: »
    I like Will Leahy, he's definitely able to present 'in the spur of the moment', he's a genuinely humourous guy, quick with a gag and makes a refreshing change from the all too numerous Dublin dj's on the national airwaves.

Can I just ask if you find Nob Nation funny.If so you should probably get a better sense of humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Can I just ask if you find Nob Nation funny.If so you should probably get a better sense of humour.
    Thanks for the advice. No i don't find Nob Nation funny. So is my sense of humour at an acceptable level? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Will Leahy is the best thing on 2FM at the moment.
    It was a great move changing him from the Saturday Show to weekdays

grenache wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. No i don't find Nob Nation funny. So is my sense of humour at an acceptable level? ;)

O.K you have a bit of good humour in ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Will Leahy is the best thing on 2FM at the moment.
    It was a great move changing him from the Saturday Show to weekdays

you wouldn't know it from the Ad they are showing for it: "Hi I'm Will Leahy" followed by music for the rest - surely radio shows are differentiated by DJ, not music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

murphy01 wrote: »
    I sometimes tune into Will Leahy show at 5 pm on 2fm , however lately I find myself switching channel almost immediately due to the annoying 'comments' of the sports presenter eamon. Every time the DJ says something , eamon interrupts with a 'funny' comment, it really annoys me! Am I alone in this thinking??

I actually love the way they play off each other. Eamon is like the bold toddler you know is gonna land you in it and I can just picture Will looking for the mute button on his mic. At that hour of the evening when I still have half an hour or more left in work, it perks me up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

tbh wrote: »
    you wouldn't know it from the Ad they are showing for it: "Hi I'm Will Leahy" followed by music for the rest - surely radio shows are differentiated by DJ, not music?

Don't really get what you mean..... Is it the TV advert with the shoes, wellingtons etc. ? If so, it's not specifically for the Will Leahy show. The audio such as Will Leahy, Colm and Jim Jim is changed, but the rest of the ad stays the same. No differentition between shows by music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Don't really get what you mean..... Is it the TV advert with the shoes, wellingtons etc. ? If so, it's not specifically for the Will Leahy show. The audio such as Will Leahy, Colm and Jim Jim is changed, but the rest of the ad stays the same. No differentition between shows by music.

Just like 2fm itself then :D
    smaoifs wrote:
    Eamon is like the bold toddler you know is gonna land you in it
    Just my personal opinion, but Im normally in traffic when this is on, and behind, say, a swarm of bees or a murdering hitchhiker, the last thing I want in my car when I'm negotiating rush hour is a "bold toddler".

Also, The tendency to start shows with a poorly told joke reminds me of a relief teacher I once had who desperately wanted people to like him. (We didnt)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

Interesting choice of words lol!

good one lmao :D

murphy01 wrote: »

The OP will no doubt be delighted to hear that Eamonn Horan, the sports guy, will be filling in for Colm and Jim Jim for two weeks in August. And they just back from holidays. He will be joined by Caroline Morahan - I thought she had a face more for TV than radio to be honest.:confused: This was announced on the Will Leahy show this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

You appear to be under the impression that DJ's actually pick the music they play, they don't. They operate using a playlist which in the case of 2fm is already programed into the system complete with ad breaks, promos, jingles ect . They have very little if any leeway to deviate from their playlist and would certainly get into trouble for doing so. I have heard of a guy who got into trouble for deviating from a play list at 3am in the morning when he was sure he could slip a song in under the radar, he was wrong.

Did coldplay he play girls aloud instead of the jonas brothers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

The OP will no doubt be delighted to hear that Eamonn Horan, the sports guy, will be filling in for Colm and Jim Jim for two weeks in August. And they just back from holidays. He will be joined by Caroline Morahan - I thought she had a face more for TV than radio to be honest.:confused: This was announced on the Will Leahy show this evening.

Actually it was announced about a month back. Both have never worked together before and don't know each other that well. Another fine production from the boys and girls in the rte.

Will Leahy should have got a crack at the show. Feck sake it is August....

bbability wrote: »
    Actually it was announced about a month back. Both have never worked together before and don't know each other that well. Another fine production from the boys and girls in the rte.

Will Leahy should have got a crack at the show. Feck sake it is August....

I don't think presenting a breakfast show is mutually compatible with his day job working as a solicitor so he won't be moving to that show (where I think he would be great compared to the muck of the last few years) unless RTE make it worth his while like they did for another fat overpaid star of 2FM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

How does he find the time to work as a solicitor?

Firetrap wrote: »
    How does he find the time to work as a solicitor?
    He certainly was when he was doing the Saturday Show but I'm not sure about now.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    You appear to be under the impression that DJ's actually pick the music they play, they don't. They operate using a playlist which in the case of 2fm is already programed into the system complete with ad breaks, promos, jingles ect . They have very little if any leeway to deviate from their playlist and would certainly get into trouble for doing so. I have heard of a guy who got into trouble for deviating from a play list at 3am in the morning when he was sure he could slip a song in under the radar, he was wrong.
    Correct. The only one I know who has any leeway is Larry Gogan as he produces his own show. Maybe some of the others do but I don't know.

Karsini wrote: »
    He certainly was when he was doing the Saturday Show but I'm not sure about now.

Correct. The only one I know who has any leeway is Larry Gogan as he produces his own show. Maybe some of the others do but I don't know.

That's why his show is broadcast from Limerick every day. Its near the office. Its a family run business from what I remember.

As for his show he has a lot of potential with it but its not at 100%. It needs a tweek here and there. The Naked Gun music needs to be bined for a start. Surely they can produce a nice jingle package for his show.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Philthy

smaoifs wrote: »
    I actually love the way they play off each other. Eamon is like the bold toddler you know is gonna land you in it and I can just picture Will looking for the mute button on his mic.

Thats true. I love the way they interact. Eamon is dirty minded in a bold child kind of way. He's very quick and witty. You need to be on the ball at that time of the evening when people are driving home and swapping from station to station. I used to listen to Will Leahy every evening because of Eamon Horan but not as often since. Laura Woods is the only one who has a bit of banter with him. He's a good dj for the type of station 2fm is. I can't understand the posts above calling him generic and commerical when they are actually tuning in. Go wiggle your dials and find an alternative station thats as cool as you think you are.

It funded by the government. What did you expect? Ron Atkinson and Jim Davidson swapping racial and homophobic slurs with indie and grunge music in the background at drivetime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

imo Will Leahy and Eamon Horan are 2 of the most tedious tossers on radio. Leahy is just like most other djs on 2fm, predictable, boring and has the feel of a fella in his late thirties whos tryin to be down with the kids.

On the other hand the over the top, smarmy smart-arsedness of the ray foley show is somethin i cant really listen to for too long either. Im hard to please!

Well Will's figures are not looking good. 118,000 compared to 201k for Today Fm. Is it that people want more talk or should Will br cutting out the silly stuff and play more music?

Well Will's figures are not looking good. 118,000 compared to 201k for Today Fm. Is it that people want more talk or should Will be cutting out the silly stuff and play more music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

bbability wrote: »
    Well Will's figures are not looking good. 118,000 compared to 201k for Today Fm. Is it that people want more talk or should Will be cutting out the silly stuff and play more music?

Leahy used to be on around 140k so he is losing listeners fast. I think he is losing most to the regional youth stations not Today fm though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Galwaybuzz

I love Will Leahy, he gives me that sense of happening which is always good considering he's a radio presenter!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I always found Eamon Horan to be an insufferable tosser on radio. Come to think of it, I haven't seen him on RTE news reporting on sport in well over a year. What happened to this guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭CarDriver

Ya where is Horan?

Eamon Horan is on a year's sabbatical. I remember him mentioning he and his family were going to head off to the US for a while. I always enjoyed listening to him on the show, but each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jojo75

Hey does anyone know where I and if I can download the party maix from Dj Jay J every Friday evening??

Advertisement