Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair to ground 20 planes as profit drops 10%

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Ockham

Doesnt look good at all this makes for interesting reading http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/05/23/224108/airlines-go-into-crisis-mode-as-fuel-hits-new-high.html
    Seems a few airlines are taking similar approach. Looks like ill be fully qualified just in time for a bit of a recession.Mc Donalds ahoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Dose Ryanair have any outstanding orders from Boeing? If so can these be cancelled / postponed? If not im sure penalties will be applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Ockham

Ryanair have 150 737-800s on order according to Flight Internationals airline directory. I think all these aircraft were brought at a knockdown price just after sept 11th. I dont know what the story is with cancelling orders.

Ockham wrote: »
    Ryanair have 150 737-800s on order according to Flight Internationals airline directory. I think all these aircraft were brought at a knockdown price just after sept 11th. I dont know what the story is with cancelling orders.
    Unless they can move them on themselves at knock down prices they will be heavily penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

ryanair sales have actually climbed by 21% but a one time stake to aerlingus has changed things so I wouldnt worry too much, from the posters link:
    Ryanair's bottom line was hurt by one-time charges including a 91.6 million-euro write-down on its stake in Irish competitor Air Lingus Group (UK:AERL: news, chart, profile) .
    On an adjusted basis, profit would have climbed 20% to 481 million euros. Sales rose 21% to 2.24 billion pounds, even as average fares fell 1% to 44 euros.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Ryanair parks aircraft every winter. Nothing new there. A lot of their pilots are parked too. Most having hit their 900 hour limit. Usually it all gets going again in March.

cp251 wrote: »
    Ryanair parks aircraft every winter. Nothing new there. A lot of their pilots are parked too. Most having hit their 900 hour limit. Usually it all gets going again in March.
    Where will they park them? I believe its not too good to leave an aircraft lying up unused for several months in western European winter climates, I.e. Alzheimer’s disease will creep in and start premature corrosion in the aluminum skins. In the states most airline companies prefere to winterize their unused aircrafts in the southern states or deserts to avoid exfoliation corrosion .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Stanstead. I've have no idea how they store them. Perhaps they rotate them so no aircraft sits for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

, I.e. Alzheimer’s disease will creep in .

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aluminium is linked to Alzheimers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

There is a misconception about the "grounding" bit. They dont actually put 20 aircraft sitting for 4 months.

Baiscally they stay flying, but they will have many routes suspended so they will end up parked up between flights a bit longer to make up its day, and not flying as many hours per day. They did this with one of the Shannon aircraft last winter and probably will again this winter coming........decent enough idea as who wants to fly from Shannon to Carcassone or biarritz or wherever during hte winter....

In other Ryanair news they today are to announce a rake of new routes (none for Ireland though)

New:Bergamo, Orio Al Serio (BGY) to Brindisi, Papola Casale (BDS)
    New:Bergamo, Orio Al Serio (BGY) to Fez, Sais (FEZ)
    New:Bergamo, Orio Al Serio (BGY) to Ibiza (IBZ)
    New:Bergamo, Orio Al Serio (BGY) to Madrid, Barajas (MAD)
    New:Bergamo, Orio Al Serio (BGY) to Berlin-Schoenefeld (SXF)
    New:Bristol (BRS) to Gdansk, Rebiechowo (GDN)
    New:Bristol (BRS) to Marrakech, Menara (RAK)
    New:Bristol (BRS) to Szczecin, Goleniow (SZZ)
    New:Brussels, Charleroi Brussels South (CRL) to Fez, Sais (FEZ)
    New:Brussels, Charleroi Brussels South (CRL) to Gdansk, Rebiechowo (GDN)
    New:Brussels, Charleroi Brussels South (CRL) to Manchester (MAN)
    New:Brussels, Charleroi Brussels South (CRL) to Marrakech, Menara (RAK)
    New:Brussels, Charleroi Brussels South (CRL) to Riga, International (RIX)
    New:Brussels, Charleroi Brussels South (CRL) to Tangier, Boukhalef (TNG)
    New:Brussels, Charleroi Brussels South (CRL) to Wroclaw, Copernicus (WRO)
    New:Gerona, Costa Brava (GRO) to Perugia, Sant Egidio (PEG)
    New:Hahn, Frankfurt-Hahn (HHN) to Birmingham, International (BHX)
    New:Hahn, Frankfurt-Hahn (HHN) to Klagenfurt, Alpe Adria (KLU)
    New:Hahn, Frankfurt-Hahn (HHN) to Prague, Ruzyne (PRG)
    New:London, Luton (LTN) to Beziers, Vias (BZR)
    New:London, Luton (LTN) to Kaunas (KUN)
    New:London, Luton (LTN) to Londonderry, Eglinton (City Of Londonderry) (LDY)
    New:London, Luton (LTN) to Rzeszow, Jasionka (RZE)
    New:London, Luton (LTN) to Szczecin, Goleniow (SZZ)
    New:London, Luton (LTN) to Trapani, Birgi (TPS)
    New:Madrid, Barajas (MAD) to London, Stansted (STN)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Dose Ryanair have any outstanding orders from Boeing? If so can these be cancelled / postponed? If not im sure penalties will be applied.

A guy I work with ha sa friend who works for Flight International. Apparently Boeing are none too happy FR letting everyone know the knockdown price they got on all those B737s. In response Boeing now charge top dollar for parts to FR. At the time the huge FR order was a lifeline to Boeing,now those knockdown prices are hurting the company.
    In addition FR have a steady cashflow going from selling on their older B738s to other airlines. Boeing are said to be offering new B738 for the same price in an effort to force FR to cancel future orders and thus get back to seeling a/c at a proper price.ie more profit for them.

Bramble wrote: »
    A guy I work with ha sa friend who works for Flight International. Apparently Boeing are none too happy FR letting everyone know the knockdown price they got on all those B737s. In response Boeing now charge top dollar for parts to FR. At the time the huge FR order was a lifeline to Boeing,now those knockdown prices are hurting the company.
    In addition FR have a steady cashflow going from selling on their older B738s to other airlines. Boeing are said to be offering new B738 for the same price in an effort to force FR to cancel future orders and thus get back to seeling a/c at a proper price.ie more profit for them.
    Boeing were not that stupid, Its just like the printer and Ink cartage scenario i.e. you by the printer cheap but you then must pay through the nose for the ink!! And in this case there is no such thing as spurious parts with a Boeing aircraft; I think they may have MR O' Leary by the short cur leys. Wait and see will he still go on about his praises about Boeing and the 737 800 in his future statements. There will also be buckets of surplus planes including fresh 737's on the global market now if Mr O'leary has any bright ideas of shifting anything in a hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

There will also be buckets of surplus planes including fresh 737's on the global market now if Mr O'leary has any bright ideas of shifting anything in a hurry.
    I'd guess refit and sell as private jets to the Oiligarchs and Arabs - they've got the money for them now that oil is so expensive but would they lower themselves to fly in a pre-owned 737?
    whatever about 737-800s, the 737-300s from other airlines could be refitted as there isn't as much demand for them as commercial jets.
    Plenty of pilots out there who know how to fly them. maintenance and parts are available, nice long range to travel further than a small jet.
    Small private jet manufacturers will go out of business as a result.

Ryanair have excellently maintained the fleet.....for aircraft that fly around 15 hours a day they are some of the best maintained in the industry....(according to a mx tec friend)

Below is the WFU schedule (taken from jethros fleet listings).....As far as I know there are a few earmarked to go to Norweigen Air Shuttle, some have gone to Brazil.....8 are gone from the fleet Already- EI-CSA thru CSH

[ ]
    EICSI Boeing B738 8AS-W* 29924 / 578 Two German flags port side
    'Frankfurt Hahn' titles
    WFU 14 May 08
    [ ]
    EICSJ Boeing B738 8AS-W* 29925 / 588 To be WFU 08
    [ ]
    EICSM Boeing B738 8AS-W* 29926 / 722 To be WFU 08
    [ ]
    EICSN Boeing B738 8AS-W* 29927 / 727 To be WFU 08
    [ ]
    EICSO Boeing B738 8AS-W 29928 / 735 15 Jan 01 To be WFU 08
    [ ]
    EICSP Boeing B738 8AS-W* 29929 / 753 26 Jan 01 To be WFU 08
    [ ]
    EICSQ Boeing B738 8AS-W 29930 / 757 27 Jan 01 To be WFU 08
    [ ]
    EICSR Boeing B738 8AS-W* 29931 / 1020 06 Dec 01 To be WFU 08
    [ ]
    EICSS Boeing B738 8AS-W* 29932 / 1030 15 Dec 01 To be WFU 08
    [ ]
    EICST Boeing B738 8AS-W* 29933 / 1038 20 Dec 01 To be WFU 08
    [ ]
    EICSV Boeing B738 8AS-W* 29934 / 1050 19 Jan 02 To be WFU 08
    [ ]
    EICSW Boeing B738 8AS-W* 29935 / 1061 05 Feb 02 'Catalunya / Costa Brava Pirineu de Girona' titles
    To be WFU 08
    [ ]
    EICSX Boeing B738 8AS-W 32778 / 1140 23 May 02 To be WFU 09
    [ ]
    EICSY Boeing B738 8AS-W 32779 / 1167 26 Jun 02 To be WFU 09
    [ ]
    EICSZ Boeing B738 8AS-W* 32780 / 1178 16 Jul 02 'Arrivederchi Alitalia' titles
    To be WFU 09
    [ ]
    EICTA Boeing B738 8AS-W* 29936 / 1236 19 Dec 02 To be WFU 09
    [ ]
    EICTB Boeing B738 8AS-W* 29937 / 1238 20 Dec 02 'Say No To BA Fuel Levy' titles
    To be WFU 09
    [ ]
    EIDAC Boeing B738 8AS-W* 29938 / 1240 03 Dec 02 To be WFU 09
    [ ]
    EIDAD Boeing B738 8AS-W* 33544 / 1249 03 Dec 02 New zum Lufthansa Kerosinzunchlag titles
    To be WFU 09
    [ ]
    EIDAE Boeing B738 8AS-W* 33545 / 1252 10 Dec 02 'Costa Brava' and 'Go Munster' titles
    To be WFU 09
    [ ]
    EIDAF Boeing B738 8AS-W* 29939 / 1262 10 Jan 03 City of Nykoping
    To be WFU 09
    [ ]
    EIDAG Boeing B738 8AS-W* 29940 / 1265 18 Jan 03 To be WFU 09

Dose that mean he will have to repaint them and rid them of the tacky blue and yellow interior? That would cost him a fortune :eek:

Is it GOL you are talkng about in Brazil?, it is this carry on that is pissi*g Boeing off.

No not GOL....but seeing as I'm bored I carried out some research

EI-CSA is now PR-VBA with varig
    EI-CSB is now PR-VBB with varig
    EI-CSC is now PR-VBC with varig
    EI-CSD is now PR-VBD with varig
    EI-CSE is now PR-VBE with varig
    EI-CSF is now C-FTCX with Canjet Airlines (Canada)
    EI-CSG will stay as EI-CSG with Mongolian airlines (pic http://www.airliners.net/photo/Mongolian-Airlines/Boeing-737-8AS/1359441/M/)
    EI-CSH.....no idea but will find out :)

With regards the seats, all the aircraft in the above list do not have the new yellow cabin or plastic seats, they have the old comfy cloth seats. I think it was only the EI-DC* series on that came with plastic seats

EI-CSH is also with Canjet.

Advertisement