Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with new gaming pc

Options
  • 03-06-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭

Hey lads. I'm looking into getting a new pc that will be mainly used for gaming.

I made up this system but I'm not entirely sure about most of it.

spectd7.th.jpg

Haven't got any idea about cases/fans so I'm not sure what I should be looking for or if the ones I've chosen there are any good.

The only things I am fairly certain on is that I want a SLI mobo so I can lash in a second graphics card in a year or so if it needs it.

My budget would be in or around a grand but would like to trim the price off that a bit. (Possible by getting a slightly cheaper mobo and RAM).

Thanks for any help.

Also, how are hardwareversand with their deliveries and is the payment still only through bank transfer or something like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Ok first up change the E6850 to either a q6600 or an E8400 (same price but much better, the E8400 will hit 4Ghz with that motherboard....

For graphics, wait another 2 weeks, the new nVidia cards will be out so prices on the old cards should drop and youll have a few more options like dropping to a lower motherboard and cpu and going for a big overclock so you can afford the top end card then....not sure on prices but they should be worth saving for!

For now stick with the case, PSU, and dvd drive and wait for the new cards and build then.....also look into getting vista 64bit!

I would go with a samsung hard drive over the WD one, the 750gb Samsung for 78 quid is much better.

Save yourself 20 quid and build it yourself, you will learn alot more about how your system works so if anything does go wrong you'll have a better idea on how to fix it....theres a million guides around the internet and its worth a little research!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Yeah I might be able to wait another few weeks but temptation is growing the throw this heap out the window I'm so fed up with it.

I'm not sure about vista 64bit. The extra RAM would be nice but after hearing all the hassle about drivers and it not being compatible with some programs I'd rather stick with 32bit.

And if I was to build it would I need anything extra to go along with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Nothing you couldnt pick up locally! Just wait it out for another 2 weeks, set a max budget and me or squall will have the right system for ya by the end of the day!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Arabel wrote: »
    Yeah I might be able to wait another few weeks but temptation is growing the throw this heap out the window I'm so fed up with it.

I'm not sure about vista 64bit. The extra RAM would be nice but after hearing all the hassle about drivers and it not being compatible with some programs I'd rather stick with 32bit.

And if I was to build it would I need anything extra to go along with it?
    I upgraded vista from 32bit to 64bit and drivers wern't an issiue, infact everything that worked in 32bit works fine in 64bit :). Had one issiue with a belkin wifi adaptor (stupid company hadnt a 64bit driver available), quick google found a modified one, worked fine :)

Nick

skuzzb wrote: »
    Nothing you couldnt pick up locally! Just wait it out for another 2 weeks, set a max budget and me or squall will have the right system for ya by the end of the day!

Yeah I think I'll do that, cheers.
    yoyo wrote: »
    I upgraded vista from 32bit to 64bit and drivers wern't an issiue, infact everything that worked in 32bit works fine in 64bit :). Had one issiue with a belkin wifi adaptor (stupid company hadnt a 64bit driver available), quick google found a modified one, worked fine :)

Good to hear I suppose. I'll have to look a bit more into it so.

• Advertisement

Advertisement