Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essential music?!

Options
  • 03-06-2008 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,
    i'm putting some compilations together before i go travelling. I'm looking
    for some suggestions re essential listening. I'm looking for songs that aren't necessarily your favourite genre/band but you'd still say 'yeah great song'.
    Any suggestions?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

One of my favourite songs at the moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

*Insert 5/6 random song titles here*

Help us out OP, what kind of music do you normally listen to? Are you looking for upbeat or chilled, old or new...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Bruce Springsteen's "Atlantic City"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Photi wrote: »
    *Insert 5/6 random song titles here*

Pfft...Obviously not a real fan; I preferred their earlier obscure stuff that nobody's ever heard of :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Where are you going?

If its Germany than some mechanical 'Scooter' style techno is your best bet- you'll fit right in.

France? Accordian music (not Irish stuff), remember to listen to this whilst munching on croissants and exclaiming 'sacre-bleu!' when you see everybody driving on the wrong side of the road- you don't want people thinking you're a tourist do you?

The Far-east? I heard a dance song with the 'me-so-hawny' soundbite from Full Metal Jacket, don't know who did it though.

Australia? Look no Further than Rolf Harris.

Its always important to try out the local culture, when in rome...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

If its driving youll be doing get Sams Town by the Killers, didnt like em till i listened to it on the open road. Another essential is Nighthawks at the Diner by Tom Waits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

ZakAttak wrote: »
    France? Accordian music (not Irish stuff), remember to listen to this whilst munching on croissants and exclaiming 'sacre-bleu!' when you see everybody driving on the wrong side of the road- you don't want people thinking you're a tourist do you?

You forgot the chain of onions around the neck.

And the beret

And the stripey shirt.
    I heard a dance song with the 'me-so-hawny' soundbite from Full Metal Jacket, don't know who did it though.

Dance? 80s old skool hip hop maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUiThe5IgTA

"I know he`ll be disgusted when he see yo pussy busted
    Wont yo momma be all mad, when she knows I got that ass...."

LOL :pac:

2 Live were nearly banned for obscenity.

When that case failed Im surprised they didnt try bring charges on the grounds of them being utter sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Great songs by bands that are a bit cack/disappointing, for travelling to?

Hey presto:
    The Bravery - Honest Mistake
    Spinto Band - Oh Mandy
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Over and Over Again
    Wolfmother - Woman
    The 1990's - You're supposed to be my friend
    The Vapours - Turning Japanese
    The Maccabees - About Your Dress
    Tokyo Police Club - Nature of The Experiement.

Okay, that's pretensious enough from me. You'll also might want (album wise):

Pixies - Doolittle
    u2 - live at slane
    daft punk - any. They're all good.
    Sigur Ros - Takk
    Kanye West - Late Registration
    Cure - Greatest Hits
    The Strokes - Is this It
    Klaxons - Whatever its called, i cant remember

And something poppy and a bit cheesy. You need this stuff too! Something like Chesney Hawkes, or Hammertime or that.

Enjoy!

Advertisement