Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Upgrade 3mb to 6mb / 6mb to 12mb-- did you get it yet?

Options
  • 03-06-2008 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone received the upgrade yet,,, I'm on the 3MB line and filled out the form to go to the 6MB line,
    I'm in the tallaght area,

anyone been upgraded yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

no not yet. I'm waiting to go from 6mb to 12mb. been checking 3 days in a row! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Calling the preimum number got me the upgrade in five minutes! :eek: The standard customer care seem to be utter ****.

Thanks for the tip Mencius!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

No, but here in D15 I got the 6MB to connection not working at all downgrade just in time for the bank holiday weekend.. apparently it's still 40€ a month, though. :p

Sounds like the "premium" number is the one to call to get this "free" upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Calling the preimum number got me the upgrade in five minutes! :eek: The standard customer care seem to be utter ****.

can you post the phone number please,, also what did you ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I just said I have filled out the form online months ago and I still waiting to be upgraded. I also mentioned that other people in my area had been upgraded. The man was extremely helpful and within five minutes I went from 3 to 6 meg.

1550 924 124 there is the number.

• Advertisement

cant f**king phone from my mobile for some reason !! have to ring meteor now

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Onyx_1

Aye lads, the premium helpline seems to be the way to go, rang them just now and was upgraded straight away

279367932.png

ya i got it as well.. Did you need to reboot the modem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Onyx_1

I did, but the guy didn't explicitly say I had to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Stevek101 wrote: »

Got 6meg to 12meg after ringing premium number. Thats the way to go,forget 1908.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah I just powercycled my modem and have been upgraded from 6mb to 12 mb :D .

My ping time has gone up quite a bit though, can anyone explain why that might be ??

It used to be a fairly stable 24ms to the Dublin speedtest.net server. Now I am getting 33ms, if my terrible maths do not fail me thats and increase of a 3rd !!!! Thats fairly bad :( .

Still happy to have the upgrade, just hope the ping comes down again.

279435190.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

No not upgraded yet. Almost about to cancel my account altogether. Internet has been down and up all day like the knickers of an indecisive whore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

NeVeR wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone received the upgrade yet,,, I'm on the 3MB line and filled out the form to go to the 6MB line,
    I'm in the tallaght area,

anyone been upgraded yet?

Be patient you are after all getting your download speeds DOUBLED for FREE! The latest est is june 1st everyone upgraded, this is taking so long cause as you can imagine when you stand on a street corner and start giving away a shed load of free stuff ya get a bit snowed under on no time. just be glad it is happening, just as long as you've signed up online @ upc.ie you'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Be patient you are after all getting your download speeds DOUBLED for FREE!

That company are saints. :rolleyes:

Tell me, why are new customers currently paying €30 for 6MB while us older customers are paying €40? Should we not be upgraded or given a discount?

well you havent gone to the above site then, if you go there select the advert in the page to upgrade your €40 will go a lot farther, and extra 6mb further in fact, you'll be added to the list and as I have said it should be aprox two weeks to a month max and you'll be upgraded asap

well you havent gone to the above site then, if you go there select the advert in the page to upgrade your €40 will go a lot farther, and extra 6mb further in fact, you'll be added to the list and as I have said it should be aprox two weeks to a month max and you'll be upgraded asap

All wonderful... None the less, for the last two months, new customers have been paying €10 less per month than existing customers. Don't even try to justify this as a fair practice. It is simply fleecing existing customers.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    All wonderful... None the less, for the last two months, new customers have been paying €10 less per month than existing customers. Don't even try to justify this as a fair practice. It is simply fleecing existing customers.

I think if you look at th ecurrent price planbs of any other isp in Ireland they would expect you to pay more for half the speed, also in the history of any isp in Ireland they have never upgraded all their customers to faster lines for nothing. Only upc are doing that. I think they have the right idea there, I cant remebr the last time a company actually gave me something for nothing? Can you?

I think if you look at th ecurrent price planbs of any other isp in Ireland they would expect you to pay more for half the speed, also in the history of any isp in Ireland they have never upgraded all their customers to faster lines for nothing. Only upc are doing that. I think they have the right idea there, I cant remebr the last time a company actually gave me something for nothing? Can you?

What absolute nonsense. All the broadband upgrades over the last 4 years have been free. Smart, Eircom, NTL (when they weren't UPC) IBB all gave free upgrades in the past.

The only thing UPC are doing that no one else has done before is keeping their exiting customers paying more for a product than the new customer while outside of a promotion. Yes, they are the first to openly fleece loyal customers by keeping them paying a higher price than new customers.

Ok if you use common sense logistically there are far many more existing customers for them than there are new customers? Sure they could have done the roll out the other way around to keep you happy? BUT this would mean switching up millions of people first while a backlog of new customers waited this would invove two huge changeovers, OR they could catch anyone just coming in as thats a trickle into a huge lake of existing customers, and then segment the change up for all existing customers. Plan a would involve the two huge changeover and lots of people such as yourself then griping as it would have taken far longer est 2 years or the existing plan which can be far more controlled. Would you rather wait the two years paying the Euro extra and possible network issues or pay the €15 (one and half moths since the speeds increase release worth of the diff) and have it far sooner and more reliable. You cannot have your cake and eat it.

Ok if you use common sense logistically there are far many more existing customers for them than there are new customers? Sure they could have done the roll out the other way around to keep you happy? BUT this would mean switching up millions of people first while a backlog of new customers waited this would invove two huge changeovers, OR they could catch anyone just coming in as thats a trickle into a huge lake of existing customers, and then segment the change up for all existing customers. Plan a would involve the two huge changeover and lots of people such as yourself then griping as it would have taken far longer est 2 years or the existing plan which can be far more controlled. Would you rather wait the two years paying the Euro extra and possible network issues or pay the €15 (one and half moths since the speeds increase release worth of the diff) and have it far sooner and more reliable. You cannot have your cake and eat it.

What I say next is radical, it really is. No one has ever had an idea like this before. I hope you're ready... Once the 12Mb package was introduced (leaving existing customers paying 12Mb price but only getting 6Mb). They could have discounted all their customers so they're paying the new prices then upgrade them or leave them there where they must upgrade to 12Mb.

No, UPC hate customers too much to do this though. They'd rather fleece people who've been with them for years. There is no excuse for this other than they have a strong dislike for keeping customers happy. Whoever thought this was a good idea really needs to go back to marketing school, only UPC...

• Advertisement

You really think they "hate" customers? Thats a bit childish really. Initially the upgrade of speeds required the online form to be filled out and this was a contract stating that you are in a further 12 month deal with them. If they took it upon themselves to tie all existing customers to a new contract without their permission you could imagine the issues there, also any changes made to the product supplied by a company is illegal, its all bound by contract so if they change it (even for the better) without customers permission this is also illegal thats why YOU need to call them or sign up online.

What your saying is you want to turn controll of your account to someone else and they can be free to change it when they want dispite your contract and you will pay for it? You and thousands of people would be happy with that? I think not, again ... cakes and eating them.

You really think they "hate" customers? Thats a bit childish really. Initially the upgrade of speeds required the online form to be filled out and this was a contract stating that you are in a further 12 month deal with them. If they took it upon themselves to tie all existing customers to a new contract without their permission you could imagine the issues there, also any changes made to the product supplied by a company is illegal, its all bound by contract so if they change it (even for the better) without customers permission this is also illegal thats why YOU need to call them or sign up online.

They certainly know how to treat customers badly. Also, stop speaking in UPC terms. They new contract is their idea. Are you telling me they couldn't give anyone on 6Mb €10 off per bill? They sure could if they wanted. It's called customer relations. While people are on 6Mb, they pay less. UPC could then leave them there or upgrade them without a new contract. Before I get more UPC nonsense, they frequently change terms and conditions and their last two upgrades did not have this contract nonsense and they were free.
    What your saying is you want to turn controll of your account to someone else and they can be free to change it when they want dispite your contract and you will pay for it? You and thousands of people would be happy with that? I think not, again ... cakes and eating them.

Aaaaaahhhhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha. UPC constantly do this. They frequently change terms and conditions. Only when it suits them though. They wouldn't do this to help out customers though.

Now, you obviously work for UPC. Why not share some of these idea with your superiors. It is quite easy to keep customers happy with little effort. Not forcing new contracts on people. Not charging existing customers extra for a a reduced price service. Listening to customers. Responding to e-mails. These are all simple little things that UPC can do to improve, rather than having people come on here and talk about how great they are while defending their idiotic customer relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I just recently moved to dublin ...

I phoned NTL and was told I could get it already and that they'd be out to connnect me ... they came out connected me and I'm still on 3mb .. I rang up ... they told me it'd be june first that everyone who had signed up online would get upgraded.

Now if I'd just cancelled my subscription ... and had someone else sign up ... I'd have what ... 3 months half price ? ... probably already 6 mbs ? and I'd be a lot happier.

I wouldn't mind if they told me originally it won't be happening right away. What does piss me off is that they say one thing then someone else says something else.

I phoned the premium line there and the guy I was talking to did get back to me a few minutes later .. told me the upgraded service was available but it was only for 6mb users to 12mb ? ... or something along those lines. He told me it could happen tomorrow ... next week or next month but it'll all go through by the end of July .. ?

I mean hello ? End of July is not June 1st ?
    Whats pissing me off is getting told various things by different people. Its making me think ... well I've not signed up for a year have I maybe I should just cancel and go with someone else. ? (I probably won't ... but its annoying all the same)

Edit: yes yes NTL / UPC ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

The man on the 1550 number just offered to ring me back. And he did not have the usual helpless tone to his voice that you get with NTL Support. He Rang back, told me to reboot and it will be done.

I told him he was the first person I had ever spoken to in NTL that could do something.

Good Service From UPC/NTL I'm honestly shocked! Lets hope it keeps improving.

Big Brother is Watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

We're currently on the old €40 package, on the 6mb rate. Much as I'd like 12mb, we won't be at our current address much longer, so a 12 month extension is out of the question. Does anyone know if downgrading - keeping the 6mb rate, at €30 a month - also means a new contract?

Mikey23 wrote: »
    We're currently on the old €40 package, on the 6mb rate. Much as I'd like 12mb, we won't be at our current address much longer, so a 12 month extension is out of the question. Does anyone know if downgrading - keeping the 6mb rate, at €30 a month - also means a new contract?

AFAIK it does. The whole plan is to fleece loyal customers by either ripping them off (compared to new prices) or forcing them into a new 12 month contract.

It's funny, if people were happy with UPC there'd be no need for the new 12 month contract. Sadly they're very good at ensuring customer dissatisfaction.

actually I am not an employee, just like to see progress being made in IT in ireland. They are dragging a country out of a place where ten years ago barley had INTERNET access let along 12mb broadand internet access and you gripe about €15!!!!! The offer is there for you to appy to and you cant complain about free double speeds. You complain that you have to do this yourself? That you have paid €15 more than someone else? they go straight on to new boot file types its a simple matter that you have to apply for it. They had to give all the exact same info when signing on too.

People lilke you really need to see perspective, you want it all now, for free, no one else is to get better than you or cheaper than you or you automatically think yur hated and being plottted against?

Apply online as I have, get in line and accept it. Unless you can supply your own internet connection you have to play by their rules and I and other subscribers to their service think they are entirely fair for the return given.

actually I am not an employee, just like to see progress being made in IT in ireland. They are dragging a country out of a place where ten years ago barley had INTERNET access let along 12mb broadand internet access and you gripe about €15!!!!! The offer is there for you to appy to and you cant complain about free double speeds. You complain that you have to do this yourself? That you have paid €15 more than someone else?

I'll try again. No company (including NTL before they were UPC owned) ever charged or forced a new contract for upgrading broadband speeds. UPC are the only people who are doing this. They are also the only ones who are now ripping off their customers. If you are a customer (and not an employee, which seems unlikely) I can't believe you are happy to be fleeced by a company who you give money to.
    UPC wrote:
    they go straight on to new boot file types its a simple matter that you have to apply for it. They had to give all the exact same info when signing on too.

Would you like the SQL needed to ensure older customers aren't being ripped off?
    Shill wrote:
    People lilke you really need to see perspective, you want it all now, for free, no one else is to get better than you or cheaper than you or you automatically think yur hated and being plottted against?

I don't think I'm being plotted against. I know when a company are using unethical marketing. If you like being fleeced, I have some magic beans for you. I however am not happy to be fleeced by a company I have been with for 4 years.
    Apply online as I have, get in line and accept it. Unless you can supply your own internet connection you have to play by their rules and I and other subscribers to their service think they are entirely fair for the return given.

So you think it is fair that customers get fleeced and UPC are right to treat existing customers badly? I can only assume you are head of their customer care so. ( :D ). I could cancel and re-apply and get 3 free months and 12Mb. How is it fair that by not doing this, I get charged extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Rang the 1550 number and seconds later i'm told it will be available in 5 minutes. With the new modems they can reboot remotely.

Cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Ok guys, am I missing something here? Do I need to sign up to anything before they upgrade my 6mb to 12mb?

Or should I just call the premium line and ask them to upgrade it?

:confused:

EDIT: Typical, I'm just after seeing the form to fill out on the UPC site.

Advertisement