Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Upgrade 3mb to 6mb / 6mb to 12mb-- did you get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Oh look, first post on boards. Would that be the contract that UPC change adherently to suit themselves? As explained above, product vs. service they're different things.

For all the UPC shills I expect UPC to treat their customers well not fleece them at every opportunity.

your dead right PaULM shafting customers with false promises of a date that almost everyone report here as the 1st of June and then making up some phoney promotion storey! they are very much suiting themselves! i was told by 2 different ops and one tech guy that the 1st of June was the changeover date and since calling after the weekend was told it will be july "maybe" they are not sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Who says I haven't signed up online? You seem to know a lot about me. :rolleyes: I've signed up online and called them several times. Last time I explain this to you, I hope it sinks in. UPC are fleecing loyal customers 80,000 * 10 = 800,000. So far they've made 1,600,000 with this. The longer they keep fleecing us, the more they make. Now, I know you don't want to get fired so I don't expect you to agree with me but please stop saying "sign up, it's a great offer, stop complaining." I have done everything I can bar leave UPC, which I will do as soon as I can get reliable TV from somewhere else.

Oh no Paul please dont go!!!! How will they survivce without you???!!!!! Surely it will bankrupt their company?!!! lol lol lol Ah well poor UPC.

See what the big picture is here ladies is that ye are far outnumbered, for every one of you gals they have at least ... oh 10,000 really happy customers so your whinge festivals aren't relly going to do anyting at all. Pissed off as ye may be due to the superiority complex you share it realy means your marginalised. To quote a great "you are not special and you are not a precious individual snowflake, you are the all singing all dancing crap of the world" YOU CANNOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE to a multi national company. Sorry but for those of us happy customers we just dont care about the you. Whooops! Sorry did I make you cry???? Need a hug? Wanna call over for a cuppa and talk about boys you like and do nails???? lololo lol.

Oh no Paul please dont go!!!! How will they survivce without you???!!!!! Surely it will bankrupt their company?!!! lol lol lol Ah well poor UPC.

See what the big picture is here ladies is that ye are far outnumbered, for every one of you gals they have at least ... oh 10,000 really happy customers so your whinge festivals aren't relly going to do anyting at all. Pissed off as ye may be due to the superiority complex you share it realy means your marginalised. To quote a great "you are not special and you are not a precious individual snowflake, you are the all singing all dancing crap of the world" YOU CANNOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE to a multi national company. Sorry but for those of us happy customers we just dont care about the you. Whooops! Sorry did I make you cry???? Need a hug? Wanna call over for a cuppa and talk about boys you like and do nails???? lololo lol.

jeepers ............ this person must not know how many people read boards.ie ............. whinning has done allot in the past!! and if you noticed how many people post you would know!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

for the first time your right! No i dont know .... well really... i dont care, it aint my company I just know people there and trust me when I say your whining does nothing but make people not want to help you. Would you help someone whining at you down the phone after three other people have done it during a day????No is the answer to that. those people do good work there and after hearing their stories they help who actually want to be helped not those who want to complain. Think what you want but until you supply a better product and cheaper price you really cant do much at all. Got capital??? A few million tucked away? No? well looks like you have to subscibe for now then maybe when you are the one giving it out you can do what you want right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

for the first time your right! No i dont know .... well really... i dont care, it aint my company I just know people there and trust me when I say your whining does nothing but make people not want to help you. Would you help someone whining at you down the phone after three other people have done it during a day????No is the answer to that. those people do good work there and after hearing their stories they help who actually want to be helped not those who want to complain. Think what you want but until you supply a better product and cheaper price you really cant do much at all. Got capital??? A few million tucked away? No? well looks like you have to subscibe for now then maybe when you are the one giving it out you can do what you want right.

The people that got on the phone today and took initative have been upgraded. Their "Whining" as you put it, did get them what they wanted they are now downloading at 1.2MB / Sec. I was one of those people, so in fact the answer is yes, they did help me when I was "Whining" down the phone.

On the other hand the people that did nothing are still paying over the odds for the service they are receiving. They are paying €40 for a service that new customers are only paying €30. How is this fair? It’s not!

P.S Please learn how to use sentences, punctuation and paragraphs, your posts are a mess, just like your argument.

Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Simplicity

I downgraded from 6 to 3 last year Still more than grand for online gaming and *cough* torrrents. Now I am getting bumped back up! :(

I don't care if they upgrade me or not but I do care if they start charging me more for what I have already.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

**** I dont know what to do my internet is in the ****ter now and I am mad as hell, got speeds of 1.47 k/s on a speedtest site...56 times SLOWER than ****ing dial up. why should i sign a new 12 month contract

I'm going out to buy a Liverpool football jersey tommorrow.
    I know that it'll cost me €70, and that a few months later it might cost €50.
    I won't be running into Lifestyle in a few months though, and looking for my money back!
    Grow up.

Completely off topic but dont buy that shirt until that **** Hicks has left the club you are just lining his pockets!!!!!!! ynwa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

There are alot more people viewing the thread than posting in it...
    You also find that generally the people posting would more in the know that Joe Punter out there, i know when i was thinking about what broadband to get i checked the forums to see what people opinion was.

If a company gets a bad rep, the word spreads, for every unhappy customer UPC stand to loose extra people due to word of mouth. I know i have advised against getting NTL due to their horrid support, thats 5 extra sky/metro customers that might well have been 5 NTL ones.

I know the Broadband/TV service itself is pretty good....when its working. If anything goes wrong then you could be without it for 6 weeks and have to threatin them with legal action before you get a response.
    They are in no way a perfect Provider, they had a very rocky start when UPC took over (on the radio etc)... a simple upgrade of speed without any strings attached would have been great PR for them, but its been handled very badly.

Just my opinion...

Col_Loki wrote: »
    There are alot more people viewing the thread than posting in it...
    You also find that generally the people posting would more in the know that Joe Punter out there, i know when i was thinking about what broadband to get i checked the forums to see what people opinion was.

If a company gets a bad rep, the word spreads, for every unhappy customer UPC stand to loose extra people due to word of mouth. I know i have advised against getting NTL due to their horrid support, thats 5 extra sky/metro customers that might well have been 5 NTL ones.

I know the Broadband/TV service itself is pretty good....when its working. If anything goes wrong then you could be without it for 6 weeks and have to threatin them with legal action before you get a response.
    They are in no way a perfect Provider, they had a very rocky start when UPC took over (on the radio etc)... a simple upgrade of speed without any strings attached would have been great PR for them, but its been handled very badly.

Just my opinion...

well put Loki!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Ah good, another one. I know all that. My point is why are loyal customers being screwed where as new customers aren't. If it was a promotion fine. It isn't. It is screwing customers. If I cancel and sign up again, I can get 6Mb for €30, currently I have to pay €40 as I have been with them for 4 years. This is unfair to loyal customers.

Comparing it to buying something is irrelevant. One is a product and subject to depreciation, inflation and various other matters. The other is a service.

Now then, the real question is; who is wrong on every level?

So services aren't suceptible to inflation either?!!!
    Come on man.

And do you think that UPC came into Ireland, spent hundreds of millions in buying out Chorus and NTL, and then invested even more in building a whole new network, so that they could supply these new speeds, without incurring any costs?!!!!!!

You can't be serious here man.

Anyway, they're providing a free upgrade, to double your speeds.
    Live with it.

A few other quick points:

Simpicity, they won't be charging you more for your service.
    No price increases, just moving you from 3mb to 6mb for the €30.00

No UPC don't change their contract.
    That's called breaking the law.
    You as with everyone else it seems, just chose not to read theirs.

And because of all the accusations and false reporting here, I took a look on their website.
    Guess what I found.
    upc wrote:
    If you are an existing broadband customer and wish to avail of these new faster speeds as they become available in your area, simply complete this form. We will contact you in June to confirm your broadband package has been updated.

Please note this change to your broadband package will signal the start of a new 12 month contract. Increases from 3Mb to 6Mb or from 6Mb to 12Mb will not incur any extra costs. Any other changes will result in an increase to your billing amount.

For more information on these new speeds click here.

Please where pray tell does it say first of June?!
    Where does it not clearly lay out the time frame?!

See that's what happens when you look into something, before running your mouth?!
    All right there, in black and white, on the first page of the UPC internet section.
    Before they show the new speeds, so it's not even tacked on!

Also noticed this.
    upc wrote:
    Chorus ntl, proud winner of best Internet Service Provider at this year’s Digital Media Awards. The award recognises the product range, results and strategy of Chorus ntl and is just one more reason why you should choose Chorus ntl.

Didn't know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Meh give it a week if not i'm going to cancel my account with them as i'm well passed my 12 month contract,after they've cancelled it i'll then ring up a few days later and say I want the 12mb line which comes at half price if you sign up :D

im going to do the exact same if my monthly rental isnt reduced to 30 as per newer users. esp when ill get a free wireless router this time around. im well outside my initial 12month contract. in fact i may not even bother getting it back in after the way they've treated their long time customers.

id recommend everyone else does the same as accepting it means they are fleecing us and will continue to do so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

So services aren't suceptible to inflation either?!!!

This isn't a price increase. If it was, I wouldn't give a toss. They are fleecing existing customers
    Come on man.

Well put :rolleyes:
    And do you think that UPC came into Ireland, spent hundreds of millions in buying out Chorus and NTL, and then invested even more in building a whole new network, so that they could supply these new speeds, without incurring any costs?!!!!!!

So why only fleece existing customers, their credit base. Why are new customers getting things for cheaper when it is not a promotion. I'll try again. According to their website, €40 gives 12Mb broadband. I am not getting this. I am being fleeced. They are not increasing prices, simply fleecing existing customers until they decide to stop.
    You can't be serious here man.

Anyway, they're providing a free upgrade, to double your speeds.

All ISPs are doing this. I can live with the upgrade, it's the being fleeced I have an issue with.
    Live with it.

You maybe happy to get ripped off, I'm not. Do you want magic beans too?

No UPC don't change their contract.
    That's called breaking the law.
    You as with everyone else it seems, just chose not to read theirs.

They've done so before. Introduced caps, changed them.
    Please where pray tell does it say first of June?!
    Where does it not clearly lay out the time frame?!

That's what they told people, they're now saying July. You're saying it is ok for them to lie to customers as long as they don't print it?
    See that's what happens when you look into something, before running your mouth?!
    All right there, in black and white, on the first page of the UPC internet section.
    Before they show the new speeds, so it's not even tacked on!

It's actually grey and white and it's not 'all there' if it were, it would give time frame of when they plan to stop fleecing existing customers. In fact, there is very little there. All it actually says is that 12Mb BB is €40 per month. Why am I only getting 6Mb and paying €40 then? Is that not €30 now? If it was 'all there' these little matters would be explained. As usual, UPC show they do not understand PR and print very little there, just that they are fleecing customers.

As for their award, I was the first to post about it here. No one really understands how they won that. It is a good product but their customer care is atrocious, how any company with that level of ignorance can be 'Best ISP' really is shocking.

im going to do the exact same if my monthly rental isnt reduced to 30 as per newer users. esp when ill get a free wireless router this time around. im well outside my initial 12month contract. in fact i may not even bother getting it back in after the way they've treated their long time customers.

id recommend everyone else does the same as accepting it means they win

You know I may well join you on that. At this stage it is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I rang up about 4 weeks ago and the girl on the phone seemed to know what I wanted before I said anything.
    I was upgraded in seconds from 3 to 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

The reason new customers get the new speeds first is because it would not make sense to start them off on 6, and then upgrade to 12 a few weeks later. They will get whatever the latest offer is.
    This is not a promotion, it is a new pricing structure to go with the new packages available.
    You agreed to the terms of your contract when you signed up initially, and you are still bound to that.
    Having been involved in something similar, people see others getting something before them, and feel they are entitled to it. All you are entitled to is what you signed up for. You will get your speed upgrade when it happens.
    One thing that is not acceptable, is the variation in what people are being told by NTL staff. From the sounds of things there is no consistancy. Different people are working by different guidelines it seems.

Dimithy wrote: »
    The reason new customers get the new speeds first is because it would not make sense to start them off on 6, and then upgrade to 12 a few weeks later. They will get whatever the latest offer is.
    This is not a promotion, it is a new pricing structure to go with the new packages available.

woohoo, guess that means ill get a better deal so when i sign up as a new customer :rolleyes:

You agreed to the terms of your contract when you signed up initially, and you are still bound to that.
    Having been involved in something similar, people see others getting something before them, and feel they are entitled to it. All you are entitled to is what you signed up for. You will get your speed upgrade when it happens.
    One thing that is not acceptable, is the variation in what people are being told by NTL staff. From the sounds of things there is no consistancy. Different people are working by different guidelines it seems.

How would you please existing customers, charge them more for a product that new customers get for less or discount them to keep them happy?

What people are entitled to and what UPC could do for some good publicity are different things. As stated here, we'd be as well canceling and signing up again to get the new speeds. This would have shown UPC care about their customers. Not that they don't give a toss.

paulm17781 wrote:
    This isn't a price increase. If it was, I wouldn't give a toss. They are fleecing existing customers

No they are not.
    They upgraded their network, and they are entitled to change the speeds/prices whenever they choose.

paulm17781 wrote:

Well put!:rolleyes:

paulm17781 wrote:
    So why only fleece existing customers, their credit base. Why are new customers getting things for cheaper when it is not a promotion. I'll try again. According to their website, €40 gives 12Mb broadband. I am not getting this. I am being fleeced. They are not increasing prices, simply fleecing existing customers until they decide to stop.

I'll try again.

According to their website BEFORE they mention the speeds, the say that all existing customers can avail of this from June.
    BEFORE

Eircoms website says that you can get say 8 mb BB.
    In fact we all know this isn't true, and your speed is acctually decided on how close to them you are.
    Do you see that on Eircoms front page?
    No.
    You see them implying that all customers get the quoted speeds, and unless you know about different connection types, you'll think the same.

paulm17781 wrote:

Well put!!!:rolleyes:

paulm17781 wrote:
    All ISPs are doing this. I can live with the upgrade, it's the being fleeced I have an issue with.

And why are they all doing this?!
    Cause UPC did it first!
    They have to do so to compete.
    If UPC hadn't, then they sure as hell wouldn't have!

paulm17781 wrote:
    You maybe happy to get ripped off, I'm not. Do you want magic beans too?

Yes.
    Yes I do.
    But if I was buying some off of you, I'd read the contract first!!!

paulm17781 wrote:
    They've done so before. Introduced caps, changed them.
    No they haven't.
    They have provisions in their contract for changing the service.
    That's not changing the contract that you signed!!!

paulm17781 wrote:
    That's what they told people, they're now saying July. You're saying it is ok for them to lie to customers as long as they don't print it?

I bet you any money that they haven't changed the wording on that site.

paulm17781 wrote:
    It's actually grey and white and it's not 'all there' if it were, it would give time frame of when they plan to stop fleecing existing customers. In fact, there is very little there. All it actually says is that 12Mb BB is €40 per month. Why am I only getting 6Mb and paying €40 then? Is that not €30 now? If it was 'all there' these little matters would be explained. As usual, UPC show they do not understand PR and print very little there, just that they are fleecing customers.

Oh yeah.
    Pedantacism.
    Deffinately gets your point across doesn't it!

And you do realise that UPC Ireland are a couple of years old, and that they have a massively successfull PR record in Europe.
    NTL and Chorus were a joke.
    You can't compare their PR to a totally new company though.
    paulm17781 wrote:
    As for their award, I was the first to post about it here. No one really understands how they won that. It is a good product but their customer care is atrocious, how any company with that level of ignorance can be 'Best ISP' really is shocking.

Oh well.
    I guess you in all your wisdom, know so much more than the judges.
    You should be the ones giving out the awards.
    You're obviously so reasonable, and steady!

Just looked through my UPC contract
    (I assume ye still have yours, and if so, should do the same and save everyone some time!)

If you're cancelling your service, you have to give 30 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I rang the premium number there. He said he couldn't do it now but it should be done this week sometime. :confused:

• Advertisement

This'll be my last post to you too so.
    No they are not.
    They upgraded their network, and they are entitled to change the speeds/prices whenever they choose.

The network upgrade has nothing to do with the prices. They could easily have been good to customers but they chose not to be.
    According to their website BEFORE they mention the speeds, the say that all existing customers can avail of this from June.
    BEFORE

Right, so it's June now. what does before have to do with anything. It is June.
    Eircoms website says that you can get say 8 mb BB.
    In fact we all know this isn't true, and your speed is acctually decided on how close to them you are.
    Do you see that on Eircoms front page?
    No.
    You see them implying that all customers get the quoted speeds, and unless you know about different connection types, you'll think the same.

That is irrelevant. Eircom aren't giving a specific price and then charging all their existing customers more for a product that has been reduced.
    And why are they all doing this?!
    Cause UPC did it first!
    They have to do so to compete.
    If UPC hadn't, then they sure as hell wouldn't have!

This time they did. Previously it was Smart. All operators give free upgrades. UPC are nothing special here. Eircom have been planning their upgrades for over a year, UPC just got the press release out first.

Yes.
    Yes I do.
    But if I was buying some off of you, I'd read the contract first!!!

Great. The contract says I can do what I like.

No they haven't.
    They have provisions in their contract for changing the service.
    That's not changing the contract that you signed!!!

Which is what I said about two pages ago.

I bet you any money that they haven't changed the wording on that site.

I'll repeat the question so. Is it OK for UPC to lie to customers as long as it isn't in print?

And you do realise that UPC Ireland are a couple of years old, and that they have a massively successfull PR record in Europe.
    NTL and Chorus were a joke.
    You can't compare their PR to a totally new company though.

Brand new here and look at how they've annoyed people. DD charge, this, the same constant moving dates with all new products, the stop gap (compared to Sky+) DVR. They won't last long unless they improve. Keeping customers happy would help. They're not good at that though. It's the same people running the show inside the company just different execs. Until they get a decent bunch of staff in, they'll never change.
    Oh well.
    I guess you in all your wisdom, know so much more than the judges.
    You should be the ones giving out the awards.
    You're obviously so reasonable, and steady!

Well I've had them 4 years and I've seen them go from bad to worse so it looks like I do. I've been lied to by the "customer care" countless times. I wouldn't call any company who's staff lie good.

The sad thing is, all UPC have to do is make an effort to keep people happy, this is something they are failing at time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

You should just downgrade from the 6MB product to the new 6MB product and you'll save 10 euros a month, (and they'll lose 10 euro's a month if that makes you happy) then when you know you can be upgraded to the 12MB package you can upgrade if you want. This way you won't feel cheated.

Actually if everyone did this you can be sure the next time they were going to upgrade the speeds current customers would be done first.

Moaning about it is only going to stress you out. :)

AntiVirus wrote: »
    You should just downgrade from the 6MB product to the new 6MB product and you'll save 10 euros a month, (and they'll lose 10 euro's a month if that makes you happy) then when you know you can be upgraded to the 12MB package you can upgrade if you want. This way you won't feel cheated.

Actually if everyone did this you can be sure the next time they were going to upgrade the speeds current customers would be done first.

You can't do this though. I'd have to downgrade to 3Mb, the new 6Mb is part of the 'upgrade'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The network upgrade has nothing to do with the prices. They could easily have been good to customers but they chose not to be..

Have you considered that there might be practical reasons for doing this? Can you imagine the network chaos of switching everyone over in one go? A lot of existing customers (myself included) had to get new modems for the speed increases.

As it is impractical to switch everyone over in one go, it makes commercial sense to first encourage new customers to contribute to the costs of providing free speed upgrades to the existing customers. there is plenty of evidence that many existing customers were given upgrades when the asked for them specifically ahead of the June date.

Have you considered that there might be practical reasons for doing this? Can you imagine the network chaos of switching everyone over in one go? A lot of existing customers (myself included) had to get new modems for the speed increases.

As I said pages back, they could discount those on the max package while they wait.
    As it is impractical to switch everyone over in one go, it makes commercial sense to first encourage new customers to contribute to the costs of providing free speed upgrades to the existing customers. there is plenty of evidence that many existing customers were given upgrades when the asked for them specifically ahead of the June date.

There is also evidence that many people are being refused upgrades. The price is the same so new customers are not contributing. The only difference is existing customers are getting less than new customers for the same price.

At this stage it has been two months, there is no printed date so how much longer will this go on. A gesture of a reduction of €10 per month until we are upgraded would keep me and many others happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

You agreed to a price for your broadband, and thats what your paying.
    People who sign up now are agreeing for a diifferent price.
    If they increased the price of the package, would you be happy to pay extra because new customers were?

If you're cancelling your service, you have to give 30 days notice.

what's ur point? cancel my service, wait 30 days, then re-order. save myself 120 quid a year for 30 days of no internet. sounds ok to me. maybe after the 30 days ill decide ive not used it that much so i dont need to re-order your, sorry, UPC's service

You agreed to a price for your broadband, and thats what your paying.
    People who sign up now are agreeing for a diifferent price.
    If they increased the price of the package, would you be happy to pay extra because new customers were?

Yes, I would as a matter of fact. If a price changes, a price changes. Right now the existing customers are paying more than new customers outside of a promotion. This is unfair on existing customers.

If a price goes up, it goes up. That's fine. It isn't the financial side that gets me, it is UPC's complete lack of regard for there customers, embodied in this case by making them pay more for a service than new customers with some arbitrary promise that we will get the same, at some point.

If they said "You're paying for what you singed up for" I'd have canceled by now, the moving promise of an upgrade while paying €10 more than new customers is what bothers me.

the thing that is really bothering me is that there seems to be 2 new pricing structures outside of any promotions, regardless of the speed - one for existing customers and one for new customers

i) i, as an existing customer, am wondering why i am paying more for the exact same service than another person down the street.

ii) If i was a new customer i would be looking at the way UPC are treating their existing customers and ask myself, when will new customers become existing customers and have their service jump to 40 a month also. (and being an existing customer i can assure any new customers from past experience, you will not be informed of any increases in price by UPC and your direct debit payment will smoothly change to the larger figure - as it says in your contract.......somewhere)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

You can't do this though. I'd have to downgrade to 3Mb, the new 6Mb is part of the 'upgrade'.

Yes you can which is what I did, you cannot downgrade to a non-existing package. Broadband Express is 6MB which is what you would be switched to.

Advertisement