Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Upgrade 3mb to 6mb / 6mb to 12mb-- did you get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Got upgraded to 12Mb sometime on Fri 6th. No call or email, just reset the cable modem and voila. I had filled in the online form a couple of months back.

In Dublin 15 here, near Clonee.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

can anyone tell me what speeds they're getting after the upgrades
    3mb - 6mb
    6mb - 12mb
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭RintPete

I was told by their Tech Support that they have to dig up the roads and lay new cable in order to upgrade me. Funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

they wont upgrade me until july. they told me my name is on a list and its a long way down.

they also asked me to stop calling asking to be upgraded.....

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

they wont upgrade me until july. they told me my name is on a list and its a long way down.

they also asked me to stop calling asking to be upgraded.....

:(

was that just for you or all customers? :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,989 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

is the upc website always in such a bad way??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Drapper wrote: »
    was that just for you or all customers? :pac::pac::pac:

id say everyone :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

id say everyone :p

I rang up last week and was told it could be tomorrow of it could be the end of July .... so its mostly gonna happen as it happens I think :(

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

To everybody that has been upgraded already, did you fill out the form online to avail of the upgrade, or was it just done automatic.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Just off the phone to them. I filled out the form while on the phone to them and he upgraded me straight away. I was on the 3mb pack now I am on 6mg

283927670.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Stinger-bar

I rang them...didn't have to fill any form over the phone...just confirmed my address, she tapped away at her keyboard and now I'm upgraded...took about 5 mins. Thanks Aquos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Im confused

I am supposed to be upgraded from 3mb to 6mb but i have been getting these speeds for the last few months

283990703.png

My upload speed still wont go over 300kb/s but download has gone up from 2000-3000kb/s to 11000-13000kb/s

Have i been upgraded ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i've been rebooting the modems day and night.. for a month now.. no upgrade yet... :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Been watching this thread since the start I have, I thought I was on the ntl medium packet so I said I'd just hold out and wait to get updgraded. anyway I rang there to enquire about why I haven't been upgraded, Appartantly there is no upgrade for the BB light package(my one) which was costing €25pm, So I go put through to the BB section and got upgraded to the express on the phone for €30 pm, I said I didn't want another 12 month contract as I'm a customer for about 5/6 years, and got it half price for the next two months, and then the kind man also gave me half price tv for the next couple of months too.
    All in all was happy enough with the service, was on hold for about 15-20 mins and then my number was taken an got a call back in 5 mins.
    Just have to wait uintil I go home now to make sure its done and I'll be happy enough then!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

I am trying to get UPC/NTL broadband in my area, Dublin 24. Was told by sales I can get Digital TV but no broadband till the wiring/cabling is replaced in the area.

The person I spoke to said they had no idea how long that would be and they had no way of finding out.

Just wondering if anyone in the know has heard or read anything about NTL doing upgrades?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

What part of d 24. are you living in?
    I didn't think they doing upgrades as in digging u places, it was just a service they're upgrading..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I posted this on May 21:
    Well, am now on to UPC and the first person I talked to was a complete twit.

She was insisting that:

1) the upgrade is only available on condition of signing a new 12 month contract;
    2) it will be available in June only and only on condition (1)
    3) if I choose to downgrade/sidegrade to their "Express" package so as to have the same 6Mb service, I'd still have to sign a new contract.

I pointed out that that made no sense at all and that they were encouraging their current customers to leave them. Then I asked to speak to her supervisor.

He got on and said the policy has changed and that:

1) Everyone on the ultra 6mb package will be upgraded to 12Mb on 1 June;
    2) You can downgrade/sidegrade at that time and you'll pay €10 less per month;
    3) You can't get the upgrade from 6Mb to 12Mb before 1 June. He seemed to be implying that if you upgrade from the lower or middle packages to 12Mb, you can get it right now but that otherwise you'd have to wait until 1 June.

I was on holiday for a couple of weeks and just got back: rebooted the modem and am still on 6Mb.

Rang NTL/UPC and basically got the same run around: no upgrade without 12 month contract but they are happy to keep me on 6Mb for €40/month. I pointed out that others are getting the same product I am for €30/month.

After much to-ing and fro-ing and talking to about 5 different people, I got a guy who claimed to be in charge of the whole premium line service (the 1 550 number). I pointed out to him that UPC have given me 2 different stories: that I could upgrade without a new contract and that I couldn't. He said that he was sorry I'd been misinformed but the only way I could upgrade to 12Mb was to sign a new contract. I pointed out to him that others on boards.ie claimed to have been upgraded without signing a new contract. He basically said they were all lying. WTF?:confused:

I said that, in that case, I want to be sidegraded to the existing 6Mb package for €10 less per month. He agreed to do that. I pointed out to him that I'd rather give them an extra €10/month for the 12Mb package but, apparently, they consider that package to be so precious that they'd rather take in less money than give it to existing customers. Doesn't that make perfect business sense?

It took a lot of jawing with these people to get this minimal concession. TBH, I'd rather be paying them the current €40/month and getting the 12Mb service but apparently they seem to think that they are doing their customers a favour by allowing them to pay for their top service. That's an interesting attitude for a service company to take. I'm sure they have some really fine business minds at work there.

Lenny wrote: »
    What part of d 24. are you living in?
    I didn't think they doing upgrades as in digging u places, it was just a service they're upgrading..

Lenny I am in Jobstown... The present set-up here is that the cabling goes from roof to roof and has been in place for about 15 years or so. Sales tell me I can get digital TV but they say broadband is not available as of yet.

I pressed for an answer about getting broadband and all they could tell me was what that WHEN the area is upgraded they would notify me by post. Again I stress this was someone from sales so thats why I checked here on boards to see if anyone had heard anything different.

I have BT dsl at the minute but the new ultra from upc just looks good. I am on the 8 Mb Llu but only sync at just over 5.

I may ring them back cause their checker on their site says BB is available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭caoimhemo

285270257.png

Just got upgraded to 12 mb from ntl
    Is my upload speed meant to be that low?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

caoimhemo wrote: »
    285270257.png

Just got upgraded to 12 mb from ntl
    Is my upload speed meant to be that low?

I think its supposed to be 750ish.

Did you sign a form to get your upgrade?

• Advertisement

yeah did it online on Friday, BB was down all afternoon and when it came back I had been upgraded
    Any idea how to make my upload faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

I dont, I think the speeds have been inconsistant as they have been doing the upgrade.

I havent got mine, although I dont think I will get it as I cant sign up for another year...

Ah well ill just have to keep an eye on it then
    You never know they might upgrade you by mistake, they make a lot of them anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

caoimhemo wrote: »
    yeah did it online on Friday, BB was down all afternoon and when it came back I had been upgraded
    Any idea how to make my upload faster?

unplug the modem and then plug it back in again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Mistmyr

I Just got the 6 to 12 mb upgrade here also. :)

I have been unplugging the modem every second or third day since the start of the month and tonite im upgraded.....

BTW: Old Bawn area in Dub 24.

285641080.png

marcbrophy wrote: »
    unplug the modem and then plug it back in again!!

Cheers mate , looks much better now

285769687.png

paddyk wrote: »
    Lenny I am in Jobstown... The present set-up here is that the cabling goes from roof to roof and has been in place for about 15 years or so. Sales tell me I can get digital TV but they say broadband is not available as of yet.

I pressed for an answer about getting broadband and all they could tell me was what that WHEN the area is upgraded they would notify me by post. Again I stress this was someone from sales so thats why I checked here on boards to see if anyone had heard anything different.

I have BT dsl at the minute but the new ultra from upc just looks good. I am on the 8 Mb Llu but only sync at just over 5.

I may ring them back cause their checker on their site says BB is available.

Yea I'm living in the kingswood area and the internet/cable is like that here just going from house to house at the top, it looks quite untidy, as they did have a metal cable drilled into each house so the wire could be wrapped along them and they ahve started falling out!
    also ernie ball sent ya a pm on your suitation there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,989 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i filled in the online upgrade sheet and was upgraded 3 days later :) 6mb nice :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I had downgraded to 3Mb last week. This morning I checked my speed, still 3 mb. I then rebooted my modem and tested again. 3Mb. I signed the form tested; still 3Mb. I then rebooted modem and tested:

286253033.png

• Advertisement

Lenny wrote: »
    Yea I'm living in the kingswood area and the internet/cable is like that here just going from house to house at the top, it looks quite untidy, as they did have a metal cable drilled into each house so the wire could be wrapped along them and they ahve started falling out!
    also ernie ball sent ya a pm on your suitation there too.

Lenny didn't get a PM as of yet anyhow. But I took the bull by the horns and E-Mailed UPC. Got a quick reply and a phone call.

The bones of it were that I could not get BB at the moment BUT, they intend upgrading the area in the future. Couldn't get a time frame or even a guess but they took my details and said they would stay in touch. Nice girl I spoke top gave me an 061 number to ring to check with them from time to time.

I suppose I should be happy with BT, at least I have Broadband.

Advertisement