Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Upgrade 3mb to 6mb / 6mb to 12mb-- did you get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

I filled in the form ages ago but, until today, nothing happened. This morning I dropped UPC support an email asking why I hadn't been upgraded from 3 Mb to 6 Mb. An hour later I noticed that the modem was re-booting. Hurray!
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/288667670.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I filled the form in earlier this evening so I hope it will be sone in the next couple of days... We'll see! I'll let you know either way ;)
    Got home, rebooted modem and voila!

288759565.png

Took less than 24 hours! Hurray! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

I filled in the form ages ago also, but no joy. Yesterday morning filled-in the form again online - rebooted modem later in the day and voilla 12Mb. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wasn't aware of the upgrade until I came across this thread. Applied Tuesday evening and didn't check until this morning, but it's there!

12Mbps, oh yeah :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

damn it! i got upgraded today :(

i went from this

288516400.png

to this

289099515.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

damn it! i got upgraded today :(
    You're the only NTL Customer who got downgraded in June RoyalMarine! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

For those not willing to sign up to a new contract, or who haven't heard about this form/phone upgrade, will it happen automatically or will NTL just continue letting customers pay more money for less speed?

May have just answered my own question there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mickeyzub

I called both technical support and accounting and was told that without filling out the online form and signing up for 12 month contract extension I won't get the upgrade. They said it is possible to request to adjust my billing to 30E (I'm on 6Mb) to reflect the speed I'm getting - apparently it costs nothing until 1st July and then 10E.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

upgraded yesterday in D15 after filling out form!

12mb

• Registered Users Posts: 19,985 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

just looked at my old bill, i was paying 50 for 2mb before the upgrade :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

I'm one of those saddo's who have being eagerly marking off the days in my calender for the last 6 months waiting for Eircon to roll out their amazing 3>7.6Mb service.
    I now want to tell them where exactly they should shove it, 'cos I want to sign up to this new UPC 20Mb deal (did the little test on the UPC and I can get it apparently).
    Trouble is I have Sky Hi-Def and I dont want UPC's digital TV service. So, does anyone know if can I get their broadband package by itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Trouble is I have Sky Hi-Def and I dont want UPC's digital TV service. So, does anyone know if can I get their broadband package by itself?

yes you can but there is a standalone charge of €12 per bill , so you instead of paying €80 for broadband ultra you would pay €92.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭stanley1

I may be wrong but I think it's €6 per month standalone charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

Finally got it sorted.what happened was my modem is connected to my usb so what i did was i changed it to ethernet cable and now my speeds are 12mb..weird isnt it??

im not happy with the upgrade.

my download speeds dropped from about 4 - 6mb/s to 1.5 - 2mb/s.

my uploads have double'd, but its not worth the sacrafice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

think of us, the other ppl who cant get UPC brodband, who have to divide that by 6! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

im not happy with the upgrade.

my download speeds dropped from about 4 - 6mb/s to 1.5 - 2mb/s.

my uploads have double'd, but its not worth the sacrafice.

suck it up :) It was obviously a mistake in the provisioning of your original connection.

Moriarty wrote: »
    suck it up :) It was obviously a mistake in the provisioning of your original connection.

very true, but it went un-noticed for so long. i guess its my own fault for ringing them so many times asking for it.

ah well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

very true, but it went un-noticed for so long. i guess its my own fault for ringing them so many times asking for it.

Well, you went from having one of the best connections to having the same as the rest of us.... really dont see the logic about looking for an "upgrade" when you have twice the download speed of what they are offering already.

Bit silly i think, if i had a 20-35mbit connection for €40 when i wasnt supposed to, i would not be contacting NTL at all, id be hoping they would leave me alone and not check into my account.

Col_Loki wrote: »
    Well, you went from having one of the best connections to having the same as the rest of us.... really dont see the logic about looking for an "upgrade" when you have twice the download speed of what they are offering already.

Bit silly i think, if i had a 20-35mbit connection for €40 when i wasnt supposed to, i would not be contacting NTL at all, id be hoping they would leave me alone and not check into my account.

i guess i was hoping id keep my download speed but my upload would double to 1mb :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lycius

Is this going to happen automatically for everyone eventually? Or do you have to ask for the upgrade? I am on the current old 3MB line.

Sorry if this has been already asked but it is a hella long thread :(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭stanley1

Lycius wrote: »
    Is this going to happen automatically for everyone eventually? Or do you have to ask for the upgrade? I am on the current old 3MB line.

Sorry if this has been already asked but it is a hella long thread :(:o

I am on same 3mb deal, rang support but they said I have to fill in online form, this is an extra 1 year contract.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

For anybody still on the old packages of 3mb and 6mb you will need to fill out the online form to avail of these current upgrades. Once you get these upgrades the new "newer" speeds will be automatic sometime after the first of July.

For those people currently on the 1mg connection, once the "newer" speeds come on stream next week, you will then be required to fill out the online form, to be upgraded to 3mg for €20p/m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

And a new 12 month contract...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

BostonB wrote: »
    And a new 12 month contract...

Yeah, but that's not to much of a problem with speeds like that. Cant see eircom been able to offer speeds like these to too many of there customers at such a low price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

So ntl have announced 20mb download with a non capped download limit? If so its time to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

mickeyzub wrote: »
    I called both technical support and accounting and was told that without filling out the online form and signing up for 12 month contract extension I won't get the upgrade. They said it is possible to request to adjust my billing to 30E (I'm on 6Mb) to reflect the speed I'm getting - apparently it costs nothing until 1st July and then 10E.

15 mins later I'm told that the current policy is to downgrade you to Broadband Express (at the old 3 meg speeds!) whereby you then have to apply for the 6 meg upgrade again, and guess what, commit to a 12 month contract. I explained my situation, but nope, that's the new policy.

Sweet Georgia Brown!

I'm happy out with my service as is but it's cheeky to the extreme to mess with existing customers this way. Now I'm stuck between 2 stools - upgrade on principle, or overpay. On that note, is anyone aware of what the cancellation/disconnection fees might be if I break a 12 month contract with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Mikey23 wrote: »
    15 mins later I'm told that the current policy is to downgrade you to Broadband Express (at the old 3 meg speeds!) whereby you then have to apply for the 6 meg upgrade again, and guess what, commit to a 12 month contract. I explained my situation, but nope, that's the new policy.

Sweet Georgia Brown!

I'm happy out with my service as is but it's cheeky to the extreme to mess with existing customers this way. Now I'm stuck between 2 stools - upgrade on principle, or overpay. On that note, is anyone aware of what the cancellation/disconnection fees might be if I break a 12 month contract with them?

legally they can charge u the rest of the contract but sometimes they do u a deal and let u move the contract to a new address

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

duplicate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭odie2020

20MB broadband with no cap:eek::eek::eek:

download a 50mb file in 20 secs.. but i want it now...

I was on the 12mb so i just rang them on their support number 1550 924 124 and now 20mb...:D

Advertisement