Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting - paying deposit and handover of keys, how long?

Options
  • 03-06-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all

I'm new to the renting business and have found an apt I want to take. The landlord wants me to pay over the deposit and one months rent as security to hold the place but won't be issuing me with a lease or giving me keys until the end of the week! I find this bizarre and am not happy to pay over €3k and get nothing handed to me. Is this the norm??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

When are you planning on moving in? Pay with a cheque or bank transfer. Insist on a receipt.

How much do you trust the landlord? Try to get as much detail as you can, tie him to a business or home adress rather than just relying on a mobile phone number.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Sounds very dodgy. Beware of scams. The most you should pay is 10% with the balance on signing the lease/moving in.

Advertisement