Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed Line Test - Can I get the results?

Options
  • 03-06-2008 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

Failed to pass the eircom line test but when pressed for results and test's that were performed the guy on the phone just clammed up and told me they can't tell me - is this true? We used to have two lines (both of which were 28.8k max lines) which leads me to believe it was just the one line with a splitter, however we've gotten rid of the 2nd line. I've no idea where my nearest exchange is either :D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They only have to supply a 28k capable line to you by law and that still doesn't mean it'll supported Broadband,

All they can tell you is you pass or fail their not going to give you specific line readings as they'd most likely be meaningless to 99.9999% of eircom customers.

When did you get your line fitted, what are the circumstances of the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The line was fitted in the year 2000, we had two lines put in (two seperate phone numbers). Every time I checked via the eircom website for broadband it always told me "Line not suitable for broadband".

We cancelled the second line last year because we got that O2 mobile broadband solution - even at 150-200k EDGE it's better than the 28.8k we got with the second line & modem.

Two weeks ago I did my monthly eircom line test and found that it reported "Unable to determine if line is suitable" which was a change from the norm. I rang eircom and the sales girl who ordered the test told me the exchange had been enabled within the last 4 weeks. I was told to call back in two weeks (10 days) and they would have the results.

I kept an eye on the line tester and noted that last week some time it reported "Line not suitable for broadband" again, whereas my neighbour (who didn't order the test) was still at the "Unable to determine if you line is suitable". I called eircom and the automated machine told me the line wasn't suitable, and then the sales guy said the same thing..

To say I'm well pissed off is an understatement, poxy country and it's crap broadband availability...

Advertisement