Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marks & Spencer Foodhall - Ferrybank

• 03-06-2008 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Has anyone heard about this? :p
    Also, when is the Ferrybank shopping centre opening?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Last I heard they had no interest in opening in the Waterford area. I think the Ferrybank Shopping centre is opening in August though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

M&S Food Hall would be sweet. But seeing as Dunnes Stores are moving in I'd very much doubt that M&S will move in also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Sully wrote: »
    Last I heard they had no interest in opening in the Waterford area. I think the Ferrybank Shopping centre is opening in August though?

Yes, August. Though I don't know what going in there apart from Dunnes and someone mentioned the company that has the franchises for KFC and Pizza Hut are supposed to be putting something in there, but I haven't heard which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll be queuing for the the Steak and Kidney pies!

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hope there's noty another Dunnes, the world has enough of the bloody things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 amyloneill

dunnes are def going in there , not to sure what else ! great another dunnes :rolleyes: just what we all need .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

a M&S id love their food is so tasty and chcos yum yum.

As for KFC or pizza hut meh , give me another subway or quiznos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

The last time I checked, there was no mention of M&S moving into Ferrybank.
    If they ever did, that would end any chance of them ever putting in a full shop in the city centre.

I like some of their food, but bearing in mind that they and many of the other big UK retailers are conning Irish customers into paying more than in Britain, I would not be inclined to give them much of my hard-earned money.

Did I read someplace about them going to Clonmel or was I dreaming again

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

trishw78 wrote: »
    Did I read someplace about them going to Clonmel or was I dreaming again

It was said but I dont know if it was said on the record, if you get me?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

ugh Dunnes Stores... how lovely...
    Probably the most stingey and worst run supermarket in Ireland.. and I can comment as I worked there for long enough :rolleyes:
    It's about time we got M&S.. something I'm sure the people of Waterford actually want...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

M&S wanted to open down in Tralee in a big retail park on the outskirts of town but the council wanted them to open the shop in the town centre so they packed their bags and headed off to killarney instead. They opened a new shop only two weeks ago. I can see the same happening in waterford..

south wrote: »
    M&S wanted to open down in Tralee in a big retail park on the outskirts of town but the council wanted them to open the shop in the town centre so they packed their bags and headed off to killarney instead. They opened a new shop only two weeks ago. I can see the same happening in waterford..

Already did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭krux

Jor wrote: »

I like some of their food, but bearing in mind that they and many of the other big UK retailers are conning Irish customers into paying more than in Britain, I would not be inclined to give them much of my hard-earned money.

Have you looked at prices in your local supermarket at all lately??

I'd love an M&S in Waterford some of their food is fantastic even if a little pricey,bit at least you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

Heard today that Marks & Sparks will be opening in the Ferrybank shopping centre...anyone else heard this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I have not,

Good news as a customer though if true. I always swing into the one in cork on the way home every week to buy a few bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

The FB shopping centre won't be opening until the court case with Dunnes is resolved, however long that takes ...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So if Ferrybank gets M&S what happens if TK Maxx also want to setup shop in Ferybank?

After all it may be alot more suitable then the middle of waterford space wise, how would Waterford CC react?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Bazbu wrote: »
    Heard today that Marks & Sparks will be opening in the Ferrybank shopping centre...anyone else heard this?

I Pass by it multiple times every day and there seems to be alot more activity in there yet again.

Two weeks ago there was numerous folk in there working for the week and again yesterday and today , surely there must be something due to happen cause no developer or property manager is going to be spending money unless they know they have an income around the corner.

Ideally here would suit tkmaxx if and when they leave butlerstown retail pk.

Edit ; IMHO TKmaxx would be an excellent anchor tennant for getting Ferrybank off the ground judging by the crowds they pull at the weekends to butlerstown ,

I thought this place was one of the NAMA places? I could be wrong....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Cabaal wrote: »
    So if Ferrybank gets M&S what happens if TK Maxx also want to setup shop in Ferybank?

After all it may be alot more suitable then the middle of waterford space wise, how would Waterford CC react?

all this bull over bulk and non bulk would be coming back to bite them in ass then, surely the waterford city council should be trying to encourage new outlets not close them....:confused:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

trishw78 wrote: »
    I thought this place was one of the NAMA places? I could be wrong....
    Nope, not yet, that was the other development out by abbeypark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Are the Nama properties listed somewhere?

jo06555 wrote: »
    all this bull over bulk and non bulk would be coming back to bite them in ass then, surely the waterford city council should be trying to encourage new outlets not close them....:confused:

Thing is if the went to Ferrybank it'll still affect the city center but Waterford CC may have less control to stop them setting up shop in ferrybank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Cabaal wrote: »

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of kicking them out of where they are? 45,000 people would have to go over the bridge to get to it.

There's plenty of space in Waterford city centre, just not many suitable units...

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Sad the way this place is bloody opening and then TK Maxx has to close down

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Sad the way this place is bloody opening and then TK Maxx has to close down

Why is it sad the way ferrybank is opening, It's a developement that has been finished for quite a while now, surely it's better to see units beginning to open rather than have it just sitting there. The fact that tk max may have to close because of planning issues, well that should have no nothing to do with ferrybank at all. The simply facts of tk max closing is soley down to Waterford city council and Waterford county council and rates. The fact that there is no alternative unit in the city centre available is again no fault of tk max, and because there are potentially suitable units available in ferrybank, well that's Waterford city council loss yet again.

Also to the best ok my knowledge, neither tk max or m&s have actually confirmed that they are indeed taking up units in ferrybank, but I firmly believe the sooner ferrybank opens the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Aquos76 wrote: »
    The simply facts of tk max closing is soley down to Waterford city council and Waterford county council and rates. The fact that there is no alternative unit in the city centre available is again no fault of tk max, and because there are potentially suitable units available in ferrybank, well that's Waterford city council loss yet again.

Sorry but the simple facts of TK Maxx closing down is solely down to TK MAXX... no one else.... don't blame the council for TK screwing things up...

there are a few places in city centre capable of supporting the,... the place pennys just left for one....

Are you trying to tell me that the county council were not aware of the type of goods which tk max trade in, the fact of the matter was that they were only interested in the rates, and decided to turn a blind eye to that fact.

• Advertisement

merlante wrote: »
    Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of kicking them out of where they are? 45,000 people would have to go over the bridge to get to it.

Perhaps it does but thats onl;y Waterford CC's view :)
    After all its not TK Maxx''s decision to move so I guess they can move where they believe is suitable?
    There's plenty of space in Waterford city centre, just not many suitable units...

Thats the problem, if ferrybank had a suitable unit then it would make sense to move to it

Advertisement