Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marks & Spencer Foodhall - Ferrybank

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Is the centre technically in kilkenny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Is the centre technically in kilkenny?

Yes both Technically and Physically

Here is a link to the Kilkenny Co Mapping and Planning System which shows the county boundary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Look whatever the rights and wrongs about TK Max some accommodation should be made to leave them where they are, were in a bloody depression for godsake. Take them out and all ya have left is NO HARVEY NO and Haldfords & Home focus, not much to draw the punters out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Forget Technically and Physically where is it spiritually and psychologically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

mike65 wrote: »

Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

with jesus :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kilkenny CoCo would get the benefits of TK Maxx being in the centre, so basically "if" TK Maxx did move to it Waterford CC have basically made a massive mistake and lost any benefits of TK Maxx being in Waterford revenue/rates wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Is the cycling attire sold in Halfords considered bulky goods? What about linen sold in Homefocus??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Are you trying to tell me that the county council were not aware of the type of goods which tk max trade in, the fact of the matter was that they were only interested in the rates, and decided to turn a blind eye to that fact.

No i am trying to tell you that is the responsibility of the Lessee/owner to ensure that appropriate planning is in place and in order....
    it is not the Co Co responsibility....

The Co Co get rates respective if TK Maxx are there or not.... from the landlord/owner... In most shared tennant buildings like this, till a full assement is done the landlord is billed the full rates for the whole complex and he passes it on to the tennants on a pro rata basis.

TK Maxx deal with the landlord in arranging their lease not Co Co planning department... so they wheren't notified...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

trishw78 wrote: »
    I thought this place was one of the NAMA places? I could be wrong....

I was under the impression that any development loan over €5m would be transferred to NAMA, whether performing or not! ( I could be wrong, and probably am!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Railway Square would be perfect fot TKMaxx ... Would encourage other retailers to take the other units & brighten up that whole area!

could be good for the city ..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Looks like Ferrybank Shopping Centre destined for NAMA

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/Looks-like-Ferrybank-Shopping-Centre.6053303.jp
    Looks like Ferrybank Shopping Centre destined for NAMA

Published Date: 08 February 2010
    By Staff Reporter
    IT seems that the Ferrybank Shopping Centre is heading towards NAMA. That was the impression given at a meeting of southern based county councillors on Friday afternoon in Newrath. Cllr Cora Long (Fianna Fail) asked officials what was happening with the huge complex of building which has lain idle for the last number of months. Her fear is that it will become a white elephant.

Director of Services with Kilkenny County Council, John McCormack said it was a private development which had received planning and was not currently a matter for the local authority because, it was still within the time period allowed in the grant of planning. He said that the meeting might not be the best forum to talk about it but said that it was like many other sites caught in the current economic climate and added that it could be come part of NAMA but that he did not know and that things would not become clearer until NAMA was up and running fully.

Cllr Long asked my McCormack to come back with a more definitive answer if that was possible. He promised he would look into the matter but reiterated that it was at present a private development which did not fall under the jurisdiction of the local authority.

That article in the Kilkenny People says it "Could become part of NAMA" not that it will , abeit there is a high possibility .

On another note more work going on inside there today , I can see some sort of internal signage has been hung to give directions to areas within the centre. If the centre is destined for NAMA or to be a white elephant how come the developer is still outlaying cash for something that may be taken from their hands in the near future ?

Don't ask me :)
    Perhaps try catch one of the people in the place and ask them what the story is?

More work been carried out there both internally and externally there today and yesterday , Maybe we shall find out this afternoon if this place is destined for NAMA with the pending anouncements.

I do have my doubts though if contractors are carrying out work there that its going to become part of NAMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The obsession with UK retailers is an unhealthy one in my opinion. While they play an important role in offering consumer choice and a small amount of job creation, long term it does nothing for us. Its all money being expatriated out of the country to foreign shareholders.

The way we are going we will be indistinguishable with places like Telford or Milton Keynes in ten years time. Buy Irish if you can I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Listen kid, for the sake of a M&S steak and kidney pie I'd sell my soul! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Ferrybank: it's not just any white elephant, it's an M&S white elephant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

hardybuck wrote: »
    The obsession with UK retailers is an unhealthy one in my opinion. While they play an important role in offering consumer choice and a small amount of job creation, long term it does nothing for us. Its all money being expatriated out of the country to foreign shareholders.

The way we are going we will be indistinguishable with places like Telford or Milton Keynes in ten years time. Buy Irish if you can I say.
    It is also worth noting that many UK multiples like Tesco, Argos, Boots, Debenhams etc, do not contribute enough to the local economy, apart from employing people and paying commercial rates. It is the local businesses that give back to the community by supporting local charities & organisations, and by sponsoring initiatives to improve the city centre e.g. the UK multiples don't contribute to things like the Christmas lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Anybody know when TkMax is closing down?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Princessa wrote: »
    Anybody know when TkMax is closing down?
    I think you took a left at the wrong thread there missus.
    No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

seanybiker wrote: »
    I think you took a left at the wrong thread there missus.
    No idea.

Ooops, must be passed my bedtime my brain is shutting down.. :D

Advertisement