Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

psoriatic arthritis

Options
  • 03-06-2008 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Can anyone advise on psoriatic arthritis. My mother has just developed it over the last few weeks. She has psoriasis for years and some minor discomfort with her joints, but lately the artritis has completely flared up and has left her completely miserable. She is 64,(was) very fit and very active lady. not overweight eats healthy, only vice is a few glasses of red wine at the weekend.
    I would be grateful if anyone can advise, she has been given several different medications but none seem to work ... doctor has said it will take time and it could just disappear altogether after a few months. Anyone know anything about it ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

Hi a friend of mine has suffered from this for around 2 years and has found it hard to find a medication that works, she's been on steroids for a while which made her feel "almost normal" again but she can't stay on them long term so next week she's starting on a new medication that she'll have to learn to inject herself, she's been told it's only given when everything else has been tried but it's meant to be very good. She has also found alternative medicine helpful. Hope you're mam get's sorted soon:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 minniver

thanks alot for that ... i guess we just have to wait and see .. its such a nuisance, but it could be worse. like your friend, she is on different medication now to see what works best, i hope she is lucky to find something soon
    thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

Hi there,
    I've got this condition too - your mam's unlucky - I think it usually comes on at an earlier age, but like you said, it can flare up and die away again on its own accord.
    There's several different medicines to treat it, and the doctors will try the least aggrssive ones first, moving up the ladder till they find the right combination for your mum.
    For me, that is two different injections (methotrexate and enbrel) that I can inject myself (under the skin), once a week for each.
    It can be a terribly debilitating condition, but tell her to keep her spirits up - I went from being virtually bedridden for a year or more, to where I am now - more or less able to do everything I want, and with only a little pain most of the time.
    Hope this helps :)

Advertisement