Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Laptop

• 03-06-2008 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a relatively cheap laptop. I have a desktop already so cant really justify spening much on a laptop. Basicly only used for browsing the web, playing poker, and some light gaming (Football Manager), for playing music ect.

Budget: around €500.

Intended use: As above; browsing the web, playing poker, and some light gaming (Football Manager), for playing music

Mobility: Not too bothered about size. Preferably a larger screen, but not a priority.

Warranty: Not Important

Anyone have any ideas on where to look? I've been on dell and they look pretty good. Any other options out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

dont go dell.

theres plenty of really good laptops going on adverts, and for 500, you'll get a bargain for yourself.

(people are gona go mental at me for saying this) but some of the acer laptops in tesco are really good. just dont get any with intel graphics, ye might aswel throw it out the windows as soon as you buy it (no disrespect to intel lappy owners). dont go siemens. maybe samsung. Toshiba if ya have the cash to splash or sony.

save up another 200 quid for yourself and get something that will last ya for a few years id say.

alternativey,

laptopsdirect.uk or.ie savage cabbage.
    look in the shop display models. loads of deadly lappys, just that they dont have a box and maybe a few small scrathes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Do you know anyone with an irish vat number? Friend, Cousin, Dad etc.......

Picked one of these up for a mate last week, good spec for the price, lovely screen, chepest sony you'll get for the money...

http://www.pcwb.ie/catalogue/item/SONB0244

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Did any one read any of the stuff towards the bottom of the page. It's rediculously out dated.
    Notebook hard drives can provide up to 120GB of storage, but these giant drives cost hundreds of dollars more than the default 60GB to 80GB notebook drives.

The hard drive in the laptop is a 200GB.
    If you hope to run Windows Vista when it's released in January 30, you'll need at least 512MB, preferably 1GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

dont go dell.

Why? Dell offer good value machines in all price classes.
    theres plenty of really good laptops going on adverts, and for 500, you'll get a bargain for yourself.

...but it won't have a warranty, more then likely.
    (people are gona go mental at me for saying this) but some of the acer laptops in tesco are really good. just dont get any with intel graphics, ye might aswel throw it out the windows as soon as you buy it (no disrespect to intel lappy owners). dont go siemens. maybe samsung. Toshiba if ya have the cash to splash or sony.

What a load of nonsense. How do you explain Intel holding the largest share in the video market (almost 40% last time I checked) if their IGP's are that bad? Actually I've the Intel X3100 in my new 12" laptop, good battery life, quiet, plays most older games quite well (played Unreal Tournament 2004 and Dawn of War Soul Storm on mine no bother). It's faster then the Nvidia Go6150 and Ati X1100 which features in a lot of the HP/Compaq machines in OP's price range...where's the part where I fling it out the window? You do realize that Samsung, Toshiba and Sony all feature Intel IGP in a lot of their laptops?

Advertisement