Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Petition

Options
  • 03-06-2008 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I say all history students (and other students sick and tired of listening to history students complain :)) should have a huge protest after the exams are over and get a petition to say we think the history lc exam is absolute b******s. They may think they give us enough time to write an essay, but that would only work if you could do it without thinking of it whatsoever. Way too much focus on economic rubbish, cattle trade and all that crap! surely we should be learning info that adds to our lives, about people who have made history, made the world what it is today.

My own teacher says she dislikes the syllabus and wants to write to the department of education to complain! i sorely miss the wonderful history i learnt about during the junior, the renaissance and reformation and other moments in history that changed the world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd take the economy and stuff before personalites anyday...God damn Parnell, the p***k never dies!

But more Russian History and the personalities there would be deadly, those Tsars were a bunch of looney toons!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

More wars less politics! Then it might be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Langerhands

eoin2nc wrote: »
    More wars less politics! Then it might be interesting

History is the only time when i can openly say I LOVE WAR!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't understand why people are so frustrated over History. Seems easy enough in my opinion. =/

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

does anybody know if pass history is easy for leaving cert.i have picked it and havnt even looked at a paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Davidius wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are so frustrated over History. Seems easy enough in my opinion. =/

2 reasons:
    1: Writing 4 pages in 40 minutes simply isn't plausible - even if you know the question in advance it's almost impossible

2: It's on after French. Adding the Aural, French goes on until 12:50. History's at one. That gives us just over an hour to both eat AND look over notes for 4 different areas of the course.

Ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

2: It's on after French. Adding the Aural, French goes on until 12:50. History's at one. That gives us just over an hour to both eat AND look over notes for 4 different areas of the course.

12:50 to 1:00 is 10 minutes and not "just over an hour"

How did you your maths exam go? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

No-one's going to give a sh1t about it after we're finished :pac: You want me out on the streets with a placard, then ask me to do it before the exams while I still care!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

2 reasons:
    1: Writing 4 pages in 40 minutes simply isn't plausible - even if you know the question in advance it's almost impossible

Why not?? I wrote five pages for my essays in the pre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm certain you can still get full marks with less than 4 pages if you cut the mildly irrelevant bits out. As for having to think about it, I can understand that but in my experience just knowing how the events occurred causes it to kind of come into your head as you write.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Just remember folks, if you struggle with history, drop down to Ordinary
    on the day if you feel you need to. The History exam is a pure memory/endurance
    test. I came out with an A1 in ordinary, whereas I could have failed last years Higher level. Don't drop if you are very confident though:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 delighted.

! perfect 2 1/2, 3 page essay can get full marks. Chief examiner told a teacher in our school.

I write so slow, essays are usually 3 pages long. Surprisingly got a B1 in the pres. I'm leaving out 2/3 of the history course. Too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

I can get the definate figure, but I think its about 67% for students get an hounor in History. Sounds pretty good to be.

As for the course, I love all the stuff we did except for civil rights. We got an extra 20 minutes aready, so count yourself lucky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

2 reasons:
    1: Writing 4 pages in 40 minutes simply isn't plausible - even if you know the question in advance it's almost impossible.

Course it is, I did about 19 pages for my HL History paper in 2002, take into account I was waiting on the result of the Ireland v. Germany match, the examiners kept us informed of all World Cup results.

So basically, you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

mars bar wrote: »
    ...God damn Parnell, the p***k never dies!

!

:DSo true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

If you don't know anything, then you're screwed. If you're lucky, then you can write essays in 35-40 mins. On the mocks my hand nearly fell of tho - 22 pages long (I got an A1 :D) But it's a pretty long course and you can be completely f*ucked if whatever you've prepared for just doesn't come up.

Advertisement