Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a gaming pc built

Options
  • 03-06-2008 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

Hey,finally decided to buy a computer for gaming.

I'll be wanting to use it for the next few years with as little upgrading as possible(might change the graphics cards every once in a while).

Now my budget is about 2,500 yo yos,but thats including everything(eg monitor,keyboard,mouse,speakers etc...). I'll be going for a 7.1 sound card and speakers.

I've decided I'll probably get it built on the hardwareversand.de website,as everyone seems to be recommending it.

Anyway a few questions:

Since I don't really want to be upgrading the bugger too much am I better off getting a quad core pc now as they'll be used more in the future? Same with vista 64 bit and 4gb ram. I know they're not used to their full potential now,but is it worth getting that stuff now if we're talking long term investement.

Also,is it worth waiting 2 weeks till these new Nvidia chips come out ( Nvidia 280 or something i think) ? I was planning on getting a 9800GX2,would there be a large price/performance differance between the two? Anyone know if hardwareversand would be getting the 280's in this month?

Finally,any chance one of you nice people could draw up the best value for money builds on HWV based on what I've said.

Cheers in advance,
    Lep.

Edit: A few more things. I'd like to stick in a blu-ray/hd-dvd player combo as I don't have a BR player yet. Also does anyone know if these pc's scale well when plugging it into larger tv's such as 32'' / 42'',is it possible to play games on screens this big from pcs?

Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

To be honest, id put the whole thing off for two weeks.
    Its hard to judge what the new cards are going to be like for price/performance....also your budget is way too high....
    Actually to anybody wanting advice on a new build, just wait two weeks!

Have a look at monitors, speakers and other bits and bobs for now to keep you busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

You could probably get a quadcore processor, 8gb ram, 8800GTS and 21" lcd for half of your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Cheers for the replies guys,I think I'll wait the two weeks.

You said I'd be able to get what I'm looking for about 1250euro. I keep ending up about the 2500 mark on hardwareverand.de.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 boxed, 12MB, LGA775, 64bit
    The price includes VAT and excludes shipping costs
    ready for dispatch 279,95 €

XFX nForce 790i Ultra SLI, DDR3, ATX
    Delivery date unknown 254,92 €

4096MB-KIT OCZ PC3-10666 ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth, CL6
    available for order, delivery date on request 296,78 €

4096MB-KIT OCZ PC3-10666 ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth, CL6
    available for order, delivery date on request 296,78 €

NZXT Lexa Blackline Red, ATX, ohne Netzteil
    ready for dispatch 88,71 €

ATX-Netzteil OCZ GameXStream 1010 Watt SLI Ready
    ready for dispatch (only 1 article) 164,84 €

XFX GeForce 9800GX2 700M Black Edition, 1024MB DDR3, PCI-Express
    ready for dispatch 436,47 €

Maxtor DiamondMax 22 500GB SATA II 32MB
    ready for dispatch 58,87 €

LG GGC-H20L Retail
    ready for dispatch 109,59 €

Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer
    ready for dispatch 61,89 €

Digitus DN-1001F Netzzwerkkarte 100BaseTX 10/100Mbps, PCI
    ready for dispatch 3,60 €

LG W2242T-SF 22" wide
    ready for dispatch 213,63 €

Labtec Ultra Flat Keyboard
    ready for dispatch 8,51 €

Wintech M6029 Gaming-Mouse
    ready for dispatch 6,99 €

Creative Inspire T7900
    ready for dispatch (only 1 article) 93,19 €

MS Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Englisch
    ready for dispatch 136,34 €

Rechner - Zusammenbau
    ready for dispatch 19,99 €

Sum: 2.531,05 €

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

A single GTX280/260 or Ati HD4870 is the way to go if performance rumours are true.

I play console style games on my 42" lg all the time, picture scales perfectly, especially on a full hd tv..

Q9450 is almost doube the price of a Q6600 and isnt that much faster, when you overclock performance gets very similar..

8gb's of ram is a waste, 4gb's of fast pc 6400 is perfect..

Get a keyboard on ebay or an Irish/uk site, keyboard layout is european on that site..

Dont go for a cheap mouse, that and the monitor are the most parts of a gaming rig, I have been using the Logitech MX518 very good, you should be able to get a good deal on ebay for a mouse like that and keyboard...

You dont need a network adaptor, comes built on all modern motherboards, some even include wifi..

With a class new graphics card it should come to about 1600 -1800..

f0o2nt79z2l5p7bfwqz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

That's a nice build if you have the money. :)

On the graphics card, i'm not sure but you may be spending twice as much as others for not that great a performance difference. Someone who knows more about this than me might be able to give a definite answer but you might do better to buy two cheaper cards (like the 8800GT or GTS) and have them in SLI. Also if you're going to spend that much no a graphics card you should definetely wait for the new cards in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

Enlil_Nick wrote: »
    That's a nice build if you have the money. :)

On the graphics card, i'm not sure but you may be spending twice as much as others for not that great a performance difference. Someone who knows more about this than me might be able to give a definite answer but you might do better to buy two cheaper cards (like the 8800GT or GTS) and have them in SLI. Also if you're going to spend that much no a graphics card you should definetely wait for the new cards in the next few weeks.

Very true, cards like the 9600gt/8800GT could drop to €85 and €100 each after the new one's come out, 2 x 8800gt for 200 on a 22" is heaven..

We will know on the 17th June, which is the best route...

Well I got impatient and crumbled :P.

I decided newgraphics cards are always going to be coming out and i may as well buy whats available now. I can always uprade in the future.

Went with my original build with a few changes. Only got 4gb of ddr3 ram instead of 8 but I got 2 9800gx2's running in quad sli :D Also got 1tb of hard drive space.

Got a better gaming mouse and the 22inch screen you guys suggested. The beast should arrive soon I hope.

I still need to buy a keyboard,was looking at the logitech Divino(sp?) or something similar.

One question. Will a simple plug converter do for plugging the european PSU into our plus sockets?

Cheeers,
    Lep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

At that resolution, Quad Sli is 100% wasted....

Yes new cards always come out, but with new cards coming out in just over a week you'd be absolutely insane to go for twin GX2's right now.....

Can you change that? Surely you can afford to wait a week or two for the new cards? At that resolution, the only difference between 8800GT/GTS Sli and GX2 Sli is pretty much several hundred quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What a waste of money, Quad sli is as buggy as fcuk, ddr3 is way overpriced when 4Gb ddr2 can be had for less than €80, 45nm quads offer no real advantage over older cheaper 65nm ones, and you bought Maxtor hard drives and a noisy OCZ psu :eek:

Honestly, You posted on here looking for advise on building a gaming rig, got loads of good advise, and yet you chose not to heed it at all. Good luck to You.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You really should have gotten only one gx2 (better to wait for the new cards to be honest but like you said you didn't want to wait) and spend the extra money on a 24" monitor.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    What a waste of money, Quad sli is as buggy as fcuk, ddr3 is way overpriced when 4Gb ddr2 can be had for less than €80, 45nm quads offer no real advantage over older cheaper 65nm ones, and you bought Maxtor hard drives and a noisy OCZ psu :eek:

Honestly, You posted on here looking for advise on building a gaming rig, got loads of good advise, and yet you chose not to heed it at all. Good luck to You.

Exactly..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

ugh ugh UGH!

The moneys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

A Dual core PC is quieter ,easier to cool than a quad core ,it,ll run any game very fast with an 8800 graphics card .I think winxp plus 4gig ram is best at the moment for a gaming pc.

PogMoThoin wrote: »

The 4GB ddr3 did come to about 80 euros anyway. Forgot to mention I did change both the hard drive and psu to the ones mentioned above.

Regarding the resolutions,I'll be doing a lot of my playing on a 42'' 1080p so hopefully the graphics cards went to good use. Could always give one to my mate.

Sorry if I seem ungrateful,Im not. You guys saved me 350 euro on ram,got me a better case,hd,psu,mouse and screen.

So cheers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Leprachaun wrote: »
    The 4GB ddr3 did come to about 80 euros anyway. Forgot to mention I did change both the hard drive and psu to the ones mentioned above.

Regarding the resolutions,I'll be doing a lot of my playing on a 42'' 1080p so hopefully the graphics cards went to good use. Could always give one to my mate.

Sorry if I seem ungrateful,Im not. You guys saved me 350 euro on ram,got me a better case,hd,psu,mouse and screen.

So cheers :D

Where did you get 4gb DDR3 ram for 80 euro??

And the 42" still has the same resolution as a decent sized PC monitor....so quad Sli will still be a waste...

The reolution of a 42" is 1920x1080.........hence 1080p, the reolution of a 24" monitor is 1920x1200 which is even greater. The 22" monitor You bought has a resolution of only 1680x1050. A single GX2 will run absolutely any game at maximum details at 1920x1200, never mind 1680x1050, absolutely no need for a second gpu.

Newer graphics cards are out next week which are faster again than the GX2, the value of the GX2 will drop dramatically once these are released. Expect €100+ to be dropped off the price overnight. You could have waited a week and got a bargain.

Should've opted for a 24" monitor also as it'll play hd 1080p and saved money on the extra gpu.

Please link the 4Gb of ddr3 you bought for €80.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I'd be interested in the ddr3 for €80 too:(. I'm running 8GB of DDR3 in my system along with twin 9800GX2 cards (although i'm running full resolution on a Dell 3008 30" monitor).
    Just been in talks about upgrading my GX2's to the new GTX 280 cards....they're gonna be pricey:eek::(

Nforce wrote: »
    .........with twin 9800GX2 cards (although i'm running full resolution on a Dell 3008 30" monitor)

:rolleyes: Exacly my point, a 30" monitor has a resolution of 2560x1600 and would benefit from quad sli.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

My budget is 2,750E so it's not too out landish

Advertisement