Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying cycling gear online

Options
  • 03-06-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a cycle computer as the one I bought in Aldi a while back and finally got round to setting up is just refusing to work at all despite me fiddling around with it, changing battery etc.

I don't cycle a whole lot so don't need anything special but I like having it there when I do cycle, so I'm hoping someone might have a link or two to online stores that do these for cheap enough.

Likewise, I need to pickup a night vision flourescent jacket but these were nearly €100 in Cycle Superstore so again I'm wondering if these can be found cheaper online.

I bought some bike lights on http://www.dealextreme.com and they're a grand job for only a few euro a piece. Not expecting to get quite the same value elsewhere, but the bicycle shops do seem to be very pricey for the above kind of stuff so any tips for an online good value store much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I want to buy a cycle computer as the one I bought in Aldi a while back and finally got round to setting up is just refusing to work at all despite me fiddling around with it, changing battery etc.

I don't cycle a whole lot so don't need anything special but I like having it there when I do cycle, so I'm hoping someone might have a link or two to online stores that do these for cheap enough.

Likewise, I need to pickup a night vision flourescent jacket but these were nearly €100 in Cycle Superstore so again I'm wondering if these can be found cheaper online.

I bought some bike lights on http://www.dealextreme.com and they're a grand job for only a few euro a piece. Not expecting to get quite the same value elsewhere, but the bicycle shops do seem to be very pricey for the above kind of stuff so any tips for an online good value store much appreciated.

wiggle.co.uk, chainreactioncycles.com are both good for gear, I'd suggest finding the computer you want, and try ebay -some of the stores there do good deals

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Having a good set of measurements helps. If you pay attention to the manufacturer size chart (available on most e-tailers) then you cant go wrong. I bought a Lusso long sleeve jersey off chainreaction and it fits like a glove. I had a bit more trouble buying bibshorts this way as the manufacturer specific measurements tend to vary quite a bit (i.e. waist/chest/height ratios). Could be im just oddly shaped tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

chainreaction will take returns, after a small restocking fees, still plenty of savings. People do not appreciate the savings they make having stuff delivered, travelling into town costs time & money. Some here will cycle though, but many motorists or bus users do not add in all the savings & convenience to be made buying stuff online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Check out the list in the sticky thread.

I like Chain Reaction Cycles, BikeDock, Cycle Superstore, Wheelworx, Wiggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

For a computer, I would suggest a Cateye Velo 5 (£9.99) or Velo 8 (£14.99) from CRC, as they do free delivery. Cateye computers are bombproof; I have one from ten years ago and it still works perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

I'd hang on for a bit there and wait for another Aldi sale.
    I got one of those jackets for about €15 there, when the cycle Superstore were selling the same one for €100.
    It said on the label "ladies rain coat", but you'd never guess to look at it.

In fairness the Aldi stuff is not the exact same as the stuff in Cycle Superstore. Whether the stuff in the latter is worth 3x or whatever the price is another matter, but the specialized cycling clothing generally is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

That is true in most cases, but when I bought the jacket from the Belgard Rd. branch, I went down to the Superstore on the way home to see if there was any difference. I couldn’t see any.
    I also bought a few Aldi cycle jerseys recently, which I’m very happy with.

I can’t say I’m an expert on all bike matters, but these are just two examples of what I thought was the better option.

I passed on their shorts, as the padding looked a bit weired...

Wiggle have 20% off all computers at the moment, so if you were spending over £50 in total (to get the free shipping) I would recommend a Cateye Mity 8 for £14.39 - few more functions than the Velo 5/8 above, got one myself recently and very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

+1 to what blorg says.

I've used wiggle for pretty much everything and never had a problem. Everything arrives on time, in perfect condition and as described. They're also good for giving you discounts when you spend a good amount of cash with them over time or when you place bigish orders.

I've also got the Velo 8 that blorg mentions above, for the last 18 months. Absolutely bombproof. Survived a fairly serious crash, a blessington lake's worth of rain and all sorts of muck and crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Anyone ever used Harris Cyclery (Sheldon's shop)?

I just placed an order for hubs, pedals and other bits. The weak dollar made everything seem really cheap. Any idea how long I can expect to wait for delivery?

Thanks
    Sean

Advertisement