Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Austria asked to with draw from Euro 2008 because 'they are so bad'

• 03-06-2008 8:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7431605.stm

hmmm I see their point and can see a couple of hidings on the cards. Record Euro's scorelines coming up? I think they should be in it as they are hosting it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Its a bit of a joke though. These guys are awful and the likes of England (as much as i dislike the FA and the way their public get before/during/after a tournament) are absent.

People were just as worried about Latvia in Euro 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

England knew exactly what they needed to do and failed. If they are absent, it is nobody's fault but their own.

Poor form from the Austrian fans. Let their team play, they are a host nation and should be proud. They will raise their profile in front of hundreds of millions of viewers at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ugh, idiocy. Teams do badly in competitions all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Whilst i think its a poor show from the fans, i have always questioned the intelligence of letting 2 host nations in automatically, while making the holders qualify :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Oh i know, im not pushing to get England in.

Just saying, when your countries best players include Paul Scharner, with Gerrard, Rooney and all sitting at home.

Its not really... right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

BBC are about a year behind the times there. the Austrian fans HATE their team. various fan groups and media have been suggesting this for the past year or so. it's a shame really. I do think however that Austria are going to cause one or two little upsets this year, they will be doing everything in their power to ensure they aren't humiliated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Oh i know, im not pushing to get England in.

Just saying, when your countries best players include Paul Scharner, with Gerrard, Rooney and all sitting at home.

Its not really... right.

By that logic rubbish teams like Wales should have been carried to competitions on what you might term the "Ryan Giggs rule" :confused: They played rubbish, didnt qualify, simple as. In 2004 most people couldnt name more than two members of the unfancied Greek squad at the start of the tournament.

What seeding are the Austrians?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

shane86 wrote: »

102nd according to the world rankings. So last seeds presumably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Eirebear wrote: »
    Whilst i think its a poor show from the fans, i have always questioned the intelligence of letting 2 host nations in automatically, while making the holders qualify :confused:

Absolutely. It's a joke that a team who will most likely be cannon-fodder get in automatically while the holders have to qualify to defend their trophy.

Did they change this for the World Cup too? I can't remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Absolutely. It's a joke that a team who will most likely be cannon-fodder get in automatically while the holders have to qualify to defend their trophy.

Did they change this for the World Cup too? I can't remember.

As far as i know they did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

shane86 wrote: »

they're in the group of first seeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

The quote about the clubs paying their best players too much is interesting. Its good to see people prefer their country over a business(football team)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Eirebear wrote: »

I think the tournament could be a disaster if the hosts weren't there.(financially, getting volunteer workforce, the whole buzz etc etc).

So maybe abandon the idea of co-hosts?. Problem then is only about 6 countries in europe have the infrastructure to host a 16 team competion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I do think however that Austria are going to cause one or two little upsets this year, they will be doing everything in their power to ensure they aren't humiliated.

Can't see them causing any upsets, they're a poor team. But they're in a potentially weakish group (Germany,Poland,Croatia) so they shouldn't get stuffed. They could certainly take a point off Poland and maybe Croatia aswell.

There's very few no-hopers in international football anymore, the likes of Liechtenstein and Andorra excepted, and even Latvia in Euro 2004 weren't disgraced at all. They lost 1-2 against the Czechs, drew 0-0 with Germany and then lost their third game 0-3 against the Dutch.

It's bad form really for Austrian 'fans' to be doing what they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Can't see them causing any upsets, they're a poor team. But they're in a potentially weakish group (Germany,Poland,Croatia) so they shouldn't get stuffed. They could certainly take a point off Poland and maybe Croatia aswell.

I wouldn't consider that an easy group by any means. Germany are, well Germany, and Bilic has Croatia playing great these days. Poland are as tough a third seed team you'll get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

So poor teams get automatic qualification as hosts....hmmm thats why england are pushing so hard for the world cup :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I think thay should defo be there but making them seeds was a mistake. I dont fancy them to get anything from there matches but i reckon Poland might cause an upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

This is already an old story,i was reading about it months ago,anyway people who organised action that Austria should withdraw are already punished with some money they had to pay,thats what austrian court decided so its over story,anyway no matter how bad my team would be i wouldnt do same thing,you can be worst on the world but dammit its your team,your country,how you can act like you hate it?Instead of supporting those guys they make fun of them every day in Austria and i am reading that,now they dont talk with Austrian press at all,only with other europeans.Anyway,this team have huge motivation now to show everyone are wrong about them.I was watching them few times in latest friendlies and they had fantastic atmosphere on Ernst Happel in Wien where the gonna play these 3 games now too.Crowd still gibing them huge support.I still think they can make something on this euro,i am not so sure Croatia and Poland will win it easily and i expect least draws out of those 2 games.Anyway its close and we will see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm so glad I bet on Klose for top scorer. Hat trick against Austria anyone?
    Still at 100/1 I might pop a euro on them. Greece were 150/1 when they won the damn thing.

Advertisement