Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband so slow lately!! Anyone else?

Options
  • 03-06-2008 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

I have NTL Broadband (3mb) and the past two weeks it has been so slow sometimes. Pages often try to load for up to a minute and then time-out, or often pages only half load up. It's driving me mad. Anyone else experiencing this at the moment with NTL?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hey I was just going to post about this myself. I have the 6MB package from NTL for almost a year and the last month or so has been very trying at times. At one stage for about a week both our TV and broadband service would come and go for hours at a time. Quite often I come home on lunch from work looking to have a quick go of Call of Duty 4 on the PS3 only to find that I don't have a broadband signal. Speeds have been dire at times as well and just before posting this I ran the eircom speed test and got a result of 995kbps when I'm supposed to be on a 6MB connection.

Oh and for those cynics who might be viewing this tread. I'm not just complaining on an internet forum. I have rang NTL who at first told me that they weren't showing any problems in the area but when I persisted that there was a problem I was told that the power supply to some piece of equipment in my area was gone and that an engineer was dispatched to fix it.

Having a slow connection is bad enough but when you find quite often that your not even receiving a broadband signal that's simply infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

On 6Mb in Dublin.

279885642.png

It must be to do with the upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Well pleased with this:

279941202.png

but

279942250.png[IMG][/img]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm on the 6MB package but the last few nights I've been getting around 300kbps so I rang them. Tech support did say that there was a problem in the D7 area. I'm due a call back apparently within the next 12 hours or so. Whether it'll help solve the slow ass speeds I just don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

280358425.png

thats on a 12 meg connection :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    I've been listening to their hold music for 25 minutes now...........
    completely unacceptable :mad: anyone else in Dublin (I'm in the christchurch area) having problems?

update: eventually got through to them. The guy suggested I hardwire my laptop to the modem. This brought my speed up to around 9.5 Mb/s.... ???? Can a wireless router make that much of a difference???? He said that there was maintenance going on in my area and that I should be getting full speeds by the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

280362576.png

In d18.

Last night i was downloading on my 3Meg connection at full speed. got a gig down in about and hour.

After running it another two times i get

280363860.png

280364706.png

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭DenMan

You think that's bad. I am back in Ireland. Am now living in the sticks in Sligo and my connection is really getting to me. I do a lot of TV/Film work and need the Internet for sending and receiving files etc....have a 2Mb connection and for the last few days the connection has been brutal.....coming and going intermittently......not happy.........:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ball ox wrote: »
    update: eventually got through to them. The guy suggested I hardwire my laptop to the modem. This brought my speed up to around 9.5 Mb/s.... ???? Can a wireless router make that much of a difference???? .

Yep. My brother in law was experiencing extremely weak signals within 15 feet of his wifi router and similarly slow speeds. I discovered that two close neighbours had routers on the same wifi channel. So I changed his and bingo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ozmo

Had NTL for years now - never had problem.

This weekend has been slooow though
    Supposed to be a 6M connection - getting 1.7M

(no wifi used.)

287119994.png

sucks - hope it will sort itself out after the upgrades.
    D15 area.

eskimo wrote: »
    I have NTL Broadband (3mb) and the past two weeks it has been so slow sometimes. Pages often try to load for up to a minute and then time-out, or often pages only half load up. It's driving me mad. Anyone else experiencing this at the moment with NTL?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dolphinius

Same here. Lost signal for about 5 hours on Friday. They said they would send out an engineer. Next available slot is next Wednesday 1pm-5pm.
    Seeing as it's working now, think I'll ring and cancel that appointment. After reading this , somebody else might need it.
    D10 area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I am currently with Eircom, I think I pay 39.99 per month for 3mg broadband.
    Did the speedtest and got a download speed of 1749 and 202 upload.
    NTL offer for 12mg seems like a good deal, should I stay or should I go ?

jos28 wrote: »
    I am currently with Eircom, I think I pay 39.99 per month for 3mg broadband.
    Did the speedtest and got a download speed of 1749 and 202 upload.
    NTL offer for 12mg seems like a good deal, should I stay or should I go ?

NTL's customer service is second to none, when it comes to incompetance, I think they are striving to improve though.

This is my broadband. I'd change if I were you.

287408882.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ozmo

Seems to have fixed itself overnight - didnt need to contact them - working very well now....

Very pleased with service from NTL .

287453135.png

ozmo wrote: »
    Had NTL for years now - never had problem.

This weekend has been slooow though
    Supposed to be a 6M connection - getting 1.7M

(no wifi used.)

287119994.png

sucks - hope it will sort itself out after the upgrades.
    D15 area.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭genek

Hi All,

You are not alone every night I have the same problem. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Please see below:

287612857.png

I have contacted support and gently speeking I was totally ignored.

BTW in the morning everything is great ping is about 60 ms and transfer around 3MB/s which is my current NTL agreed speed connection.

Anyway I am not able to use Internet with comfort I would say between 7pm - 1am. Youtube takes ages, you can't play online....

Could you check your speeds between this hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sw33ts

heya 1st post :)

Its been cool for me, never had a problem.

287690604.png

Morning time:

287769393.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ball ox wrote: »
    280358425.png

thats on a 12 meg connection :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    I've been listening to their hold music for 25 minutes now...........
    completely unacceptable :mad: anyone else in Dublin (I'm in the christchurch area) having problems?

update: eventually got through to them. The guy suggested I hardwire my laptop to the modem. This brought my speed up to around 9.5 Mb/s.... ???? Can a wireless router make that much of a difference???? He said that there was maintenance going on in my area and that I should be getting full speeds by the weekend.

Yes .. wireless can make that big a difference.
    Its a consumer broadband product anyway, no speeds are guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Been having serious problems for the past week or so. At the start is was mainly in the evening, couldn't even open up a full page. Now its the same all day and night. Can't even open google.ie half the time!

Called them a few days ago and they could see there was a problem with my modem but didn't say there was a problem in my building. Had a call out arranged for today but the tech called me and said there was a problem in the building and they should have it fixed this week. Right now it seems to be fine (1st time in about 3 days) so maybe they have it sorted!

I'm in Christchurch too btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DoubleU

So many people with problems, and NTL are still bull****ting with their "It must be your modem crap" :(

287981237.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭takumi

i couldn't even run speedtest.net. it just froze on ping test, i tried irish speedtest and got like 3 meg :mad: am on 12 meg..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

There was definitely a problem in Christchurch - I'm there and had a service call today for an ongoing problem since last week - most connections were dropping (only 2 out of 3 pings were getting a reply).

The engineer rang to say not to bother popping home, since it was an area problem rather than just my line. All seems to be well now- for me anyway.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

DoubleU wrote: »
    So many people with problems, and NTL are still bull****ting with their "It must be your modem crap" :(

Might not be too far from the truth. I've been having similar issues, and NTL rang me today to say that they're sending me a new modem tomorrow because of changes they've been making... should fix the speed issue, but we'll see...

I am on King Inss street, just beside cinema on Parnell St.
    Are you saying that change the modem should solve the problem?
    Surely I don't think so, but anyway I will contact them on the phone and see what happens.

genek wrote: »
    I am on King Inss street, just beside cinema on Parnell St.
    Are you saying that change the modem should solve the problem?
    Surely I don't think so, but anyway I will contact them on the phone and see what happens.

It depends what modem you have. Either way I doubt it is the issue. The older modems can't support the higher speeds but I don't *think* that explains your issue. UPC are very keen to fob people off by blaming the modems when it is in fact a network issue. If they'd only be honest, less people would hate them... ah well.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    It depends what modem you have. Either way I doubt it is the issue. ... UPC are very keen to fob people off by blaming the modems when it is in fact a network issue. If they'd only be honest, less people would hate them... ah well.

I have a Motorola modem, I doubt really it is a modem issue as well.
    I think it is a routing problem on UPC, when internal network is overloaded before it left UPC, you can easily see high ping on first or second hop running tracert in windows in peak ours. In the morning everything is fine and have 3Mb/s but 8pm when you're after work you can't even check your email it is a little bit funny.

Anyway if any of you will have low ping and full speed after modem change please post it here. We need test between 7pm-1am.

The Motorola modem should be ok, it is newish... It's a network issue. Try to hammer into them that it is a network problem and not a modem one. They'll probably deny this but secretly send someone to look for a network fault. They don't like admitting they (like all network infrastructure) can have network faults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

NTL 12Mb...

288292035.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DoubleU

This has nothing to do with my modem.
    With no change, I can get a decent speed in the morning. NTL can't handle their network and try everything to place the blame at somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dolphinius

Had an engineer call yesterday after my broadband shut down last Friday.
    He spent 5 minutes here checking the line speed and signal.
    Said, 'Oh yeah, we had a problem elsewhere. Sign here.'
    Can't complain as I'm still up and running.
    If I was down from Friday to Wednesday, I would be looking for a a new ISP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭takumi

i got a weird problem here, i ran speedtest and got 12mb fine. but i can only download at 300 kb/s using Usenet , usually i get top speed.

Advertisement