Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband so slow lately!! Anyone else?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

dolphinius wrote: »
    Had an engineer call yesterday after my broadband shut down last Friday.
    He spent 5 minutes here checking the line speed and signal.
    Said, 'Oh yeah, we had a problem elsewhere. Sign here.'
    Can't complain as I'm still up and running.
    If I was down from Friday to Wednesday, I would be looking for a a new ISP.

This is what drives me mental. People staying home to wait for an engineer that they don't even need. Did you have to take a day off? I'd complain about that first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭takumi

am starting to think ntl has restricted newsgroup downloading. its going extremely slow here, any one else getting slow newsgroup speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

takumi wrote: »
    am starting to think ntl has restricted newsgroup downloading. its going extremely slow here, any one else getting slow newsgroup speed?

try different ports (use can use 2 different ports i think for giganews, others might be the same)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭takumi

try different ports (use can use 2 different ports i think for giganews, others might be the same)

am using newsdemon, there are like 5 ports listed only one of them works for me , and its so slow,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

takumi wrote: »
    am using newsdemon, there are like 5 ports listed only one of them works for me , and its so slow,

try a giganews trial, you have to cancel before a certain time or you'll be changed, just to see if its newsdemon thats the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 fowley

anything conclusive on the christchurch front? im meant to have 10mb down and 1mb up. irishisptest says i have 10mb down but ??? up ping is over 50 aswell. has anyones gone slow and then gone back working after a few days?

mines been crap for the past 3 days, im in christchurch aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

291400013.png

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

fowley wrote: »
    anything conclusive on the christchurch front? im meant to have 10mb down and 1mb up. irishisptest says i have 10mb down but ??? up ping is over 50 aswell. has anyones gone slow and then gone back working after a few days?

mines been crap for the past 3 days, im in christchurch aswell

Spoke to them yesterday, said he knew there was a problem cos he himself had reported it to the engineers. Should be fixed in a couple of days although this is the 3rd time someone's said that too me!

Yes mine did come back for a few days and then go again, see my post above for a full history.

Hopefully this guy is right, had the 12MB working for a few days and it was sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

gerryR wrote: »
    Spoke to them yesterday, said he knew there was a problem cos he himself had reported it to the engineers. Should be fixed in a couple of days although this is the 3rd time someone's said that too me!

Yes mine did come back for a few days and then go again, see my post above for a full history.

Hopefully this guy is right, had the 12MB working for a few days and it was sweet!

Same here in Christchurch; had a problem for about a week, then it was back for a few days, and then after the latest upgrade, the connection was almost non-existent. Support tried to convince me it was my router first, but the next day when I rang again had obviously gotten other complaints.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

during the laste few upgrades things go potty for a few weeks!

bear with it, it settles down fairly soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ozmo

Drapper wrote: »
    during the laste few upgrades things go potty for a few weeks!

bear with it, it settles down fairly soon

Hope so...

Me in D15 -

During day downloads speed about 2M to 4M
    about 7pm to midnight about 5M
    After 1am up to 18M

upload consistant at about 1.3M

Used to be consistant download of 6M always before these upgrades - which imo was better :|

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Propocus

Also in D15.
    On the medium package so I suppose thats 6MB (pre upgrade)
    Taking 5 minutes to open the NTL webpage.
    Using a Wireless router but took that out of the mix and it was still just as bad. Only happened yesterday.

Contacted NTL - they'll be out next week. I seem to remember some modems having problems the last time there was an upgrade so I suppose they will change the modem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

paulm17781 wrote: »
    This is what drives me mental. People staying home to wait for an engineer that they don't even need. Did you have to take a day off? I'd complain about that first.

As the UTV mantra is 'blame Eircom' the UPC mantra is 'send out an engineer'.
    They had started this nonsense in the days of NTL - it must cost them an absolute fortune in unnecessary visits - not to mention wasting peoples' leave etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

jos28 wrote: »
    I am currently with Eircom, I think I pay 39.99 per month for 3mg broadband.
    Did the speedtest and got a download speed of 1749 and 202 upload.
    NTL offer for 12mg seems like a good deal, should I stay or should I go ?

Just got NTL installed today and new speeds are
    292069090.png
    So far so good !

Advertisement