Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards - What you like, and 1 change you'd make

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Like:
    Meeting boardsies IRL and the sense of community (at least in Galway Forum).
    How certain discussions are very thought provoking and some has caused me to change my views.
    Lots of great tips and ideas for things to do/see at home/overseas.

Dislike:
    Occasional downtime and general muppetry, which can't be helped I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

+

The community.

People who know stuff.

People who put an incredible amount of effort into helping or entertaining other people.

The negatives are no different to any board - some cliques, trolls and boring feuds. The positives far outweigh the negatives.

My change would be to remove post counts. I can see that they are useful for adjudication sometimes so is it possible to let only Cmods, Smods and Admins see them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Like:

I fucking LOVE a good feedback thread in the morning. Seriously, nothing beats logging to see some clown fight da powah. Lolcats, FAIL! pics etc, the whole lot makes me smile inside.
    I dislike the way even the valid Feedback threads which are started by reasonable posters are treated as above. People are entitled to query things, that's what the Feedback forum is for. Whereas I think now though, people see a Feedback thread and decide it's ripe for ridicule even when it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Plus:

The number of forums, with nearly every one having helpful posters willing to help you out especially in places like travel, tech, fitness (not singleing out just the ones I visit)

I can feel smart in some of these forums by actually being able to answer stuff. Always a good little confidence boost (especially when you get a thanks)

So yeah the thanks feature as well.

The willingness of Mods/Admins/Owners to allow the discussion of new ideas. See the addition of the AFL forum, BGRH, LL forums, the addition a youtube/spoiler button to the text editor.

First place for news especially the soccer forum. Ok not the first place as it always taken from another site but normally the first place I here about stuff.

The Coke and Hookers.

Its Irish but has users from all over the world.

Minus:

I think text speak could be creeping in more and more.

Most of the minus points I have are to do with some users, or user types which boards can't do anything about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DesF wrote: »
    And it's smart arsed comments like this, from ill-informed numpties that I hate.

Come to a game buddy, see if you laugh.

Twat.

Now that has made me laugh. I'm sure they put all thier heart and soul into it, you must be like a proud dad. You sure sound like one, yelling on the touching line ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I likes a lot, especially the randomness of AH.
    Knowing stuff is great because I never watch the news anymore.
    Having an answer to everything!

I don't like all the txtspk, its especially in the JC and LC forums.
    All the "whats your favorite album", "whats the best album", etc. threads. Fuppin ridiculous the ammount of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I like getting informed answers to stuff I know nothing about

I dislike the way some discussions come down to who can have the last word, rather than people being open to challenging their own suppositions. It's not a crime to change your mind about something.

love > hate.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Dudess wrote: »
    I dislike the way even the valid Feedback threads which are started by reasonable posters are treated as above. People are entitled to query things, that's what the Feedback forum is for. Whereas I think now though, people see a Feedback thread and decide it's ripe for ridicule even when it's not.

The way I see it is there are two types of Feedback thread,
    • Where the OP has genuine feedback and is willing to discuss their problem.
    • Where the OP is a muppet and deserves to be laughed at.

The latter are really only the ones that get the cat pics. From what I've seen, the vast majority of the former get a decent airing here. Yes, some of the genuine ones descend into cat pics but usually only after the matter has been discussed reasonably.

Advertisement