Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brakes for bullhorn handlebars

Options
  • 03-06-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

I got a pair of bullhorn handlebars. Unfortunately being an eejit, I assumed my bog standard mtb brakes would work fine. This did not prove to be the case.

The handlebars are too wide for the Shimano Deore levers. What sort of brakes do I need to get? I've been looking around and there seems to be only two options. Get brakes which fit into the bar ends, or get Cane Creek Crosstop levers for the flat part of the bar. I'd prefer the brakes on the flats as this is the position I expect I'll be cycling in through town.

Are there any other options apart from the Cross Tops ? Will standard road brakes work, or do they all have the hoods on them.. Hoods would look rather odd I suspect. Anyone else with chop 'n flops or bullhorns and the brakes on the flat ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

I can't answer all your questions but I can share my experience. I made a similar "mistake" last summer and ended up getting the brakes that fit into the bars as I was led to believe (by the shop assistants) they were my only option. Just a word of warning if you go with this option, there are two types of these brakes, one where the cable goes inside the handlebar and one where it goes on the outside, make sure you get the right ones. Maybe you already knew this, but I didn't and clearly neither did the shop assistants as they sold incompatible handlebars and brakes.

I put my gear levers on the downtube as well and even though it all felt very strange for awhile I got used to it and now love the setup and use this bike to cycle into town everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Standard road brakes will work (on the ends of the bullhorns) as long as they have external cables (coming out of the top of the brake). Aero levers (where the cable comes out the back) would be awkward to install. Dedicated TT brake levers would be fine too.

Crosstop levers are your best bet for the flat section of the bar. Some BMX levers may fit - but most won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Grand, thanks for the replies. I'll try and pick up a set of the cane creeks, seems to be the easiest option.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

This is a pain in the arse. The cane creeks won't work with V-Brakes. This is what I get for using an old mountain bike.

I may just stretch the clamps on my current v-brake levers and find a longer screw. It will look moderately hideous, but should be fine. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Standard road brakes don't work with V-Brakes, you would need calipers, cantilevers or mini-Vs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Advertisement