Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many in your year do HL Maths?

Options
  • 03-06-2008 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

At the beginning of fifth year (with a year of 120), there were about 40 maybe 50 doing HL.

Now, 3 days before Paper 1 Maths there are 19 in the whole year. 7 in one class and 12 in the other.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Erica-smiley

In my school only 10 people do it in the whole year... Out of 120!:eek::eek:

Its too hard, I was doing it til feb but had to drop!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

3 out of about 70...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

13 with 10 a's in JC 3 b's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭starkinter

At the start of fifth year, higher level was in the majority; now we're down to about 40-45% I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

About 40 out of 120.. Was much higher but then christmas exams and mocks hit :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

3 out of about 70 (well about 15 do LCA so they don't exactly get the option). We had 7 at the start of this year.. then the mocks happened. People just don't want to risk failing it, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Well I don't actually know who's in my class but based on glances I'd say there's about 17 maybe. It's hard to tell because a lot of them just don't turn up a lot of the time. Just finished fifth year. No idea how many people are in our year but the pass class is becoming oversubscribed apparently.

Most people in my class don't seem to be very good at it...or those who aren't good at it are a lot more vocal about it.

6 outta 80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Did my LC last year:
    At the start of 5th Year we had 11 out of about 60.
    At the end of 6th Year, there was 2 of us left! :D
    Which was double the number who did HL the year before! :eek:

This year there's a staggering 3 people doing HL.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EmmetF

UL have it right, bonus points for honours maths is the way to go. I've devoted so much time to maths because of this, but for me it's important cos I wanna do Civil Engineering.
    I talked to my Dad about maths in engineering today (he's one), and it's amazing how much of real world problems in engineering can be solved with differentiation and integration.

People who say you never use maths after school haven't a clue/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

In fifth year there was about 60 people out of a year of 120 doing HL Maths

Now theres about 25 left

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

There is one class in my whole year. About 20 out of 180 students. There are 7 maths classes altogether. 1 houours, 5 pass and 1 foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Was about 35ish in two classes at the start of this year, now down to 12ish altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

25 out of 80 girls. I'm surprised, we seem to be quite high.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Its a joke that they make the exam so hard that one a minority can attempt it at higher level. I think they should make it easier and have more people doing higher level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Fuascailt wrote: »
    25 out of 80 girls. I'm surprised, we seem to be quite high.

Sounds really high! We've about 19 out of 78 girls (methinks)... And the boys school next to us has easily double the number... Started in 5th year with two classes for HL Maths, then half way 5th year through we had about 35 in one classroom... now it's down to 19... tough really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Its a joke that they make the exam so hard that one a minority can attempt it at higher level. I think they should make it easier and have more people doing higher level

Well it is "ordinary". Shouldnt that mean the majority do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

We've about 10 out of 120 girls. It started out at around 40 in fifth year, but a lot of people dropped at the start of sixth year, and a few more went in the last couple of weeks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

EmmetF wrote: »
    UL have it right, bonus points for honours maths is the way to go. I've devoted so much time to maths because of this, but for me it's important cos I wanna do Civil Engineering.
    I talked to my Dad about maths in engineering today (he's one), and it's amazing how much of real world problems in engineering can be solved with differentiation and integration.

People who say you never use maths after school haven't a clue/

You should of done applied maths, you would be shocked at how maths can break down real life things into equations at only leaving cert level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Decerto wrote: »
    You should of done applied maths, you would be shocked at how maths can break down real life things into equations at only leaving cert level

i do applied maths! Should have done Physics so I'd actually have a clue what it was all about. But it helps your maths anyway! And if you want to do Engineering, the LC Applied Maths course is pretty much the same as the 1st year Engineering Applied Maths section...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

i'm da only person doing honours maths in my school this year.... thats 1 girl out of 40

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

This is actually embarassing to say....0 out of about 70! There was a class of 7 in fifth year, but we all dropped at the start of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

There's about 220 in my year....and I'm not sure, I think we have three classes. But none of them are full. There's 13 in my class, and about 8 in another. I don't have a clue about the other class though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

I'm a bit surprised with the small numbers of people doing HL. At the beginning of 5th yr there was a good 50 ppl doing it, when we came to sitting the exam, we had a good 25 doing it, and that was in a year of C. 110

But if they lowered the standard so that more people were able for it then that defeats the point of even having higher level. The fact is that plenty of people are capable of doing HL maths. If people find it so hard then they can do ordinary level.

With that said, its difficulty is also ridiculously overhyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Davidius wrote: »
    But if they lowered the standard so that more people were able for it then that defeats the point of even having higher level. The fact is that plenty of people are capable of doing HL maths. If people find it so hard then they can do ordinary level.

With that said, its difficulty is also ridiculously overhyped.

But look at the amount of people who do HL English for example. Far more than Maths, I think there should be an equal % of students who do HL in each subject. Just my $0.02.

TBH i found English more work than HL maths so i dropped that instead of maths, but then again maths was my strong point. I am capable of doing HL but I think it should be made more accessible to the masses

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭spillit67

There's about 35 in my year out of 100 doing HL, all boys school. Then we have about 15 doing Applied Maths.

But look at the amount of people who do HL English for example. Far more than Maths, I think there should be an equal % of students who do HL in each subject. Just my $0.02.

TBH i found English more work than HL maths so i dropped that instead of maths, but then again maths was my strong point. I am capable of doing HL but I think it should be made more accessible to the masses

We have Ordinary Level for accesibility, that's not what HL is supposed to be for. If they want an equal percentage of people doing HL in each subject, they can make other subjects harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

There was 18 of us doing higher level in 5th year, including me. And now there are 3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

. I think they should make it easier and have more people doing higher level

But surely the point of a higher level is that it should be harder. If you wanted to make it easier, do away with the foundation level and call it ordinary level, then rename the ordinary level paper the new 'Higher Level' and then most leaving cert students would do higher level maths and anyone capable of doing the real 'Higher Level' would be guaranteed an A. Mind you, the value of having Higher Level maths would be devalued.

The difficulty of the paper and the time it takes to do Higher Level maths, is what makes getting a good grade in it worthwhile, but I would agree that it takes far more work than most other subjects and that should be reflected in the points you get for having it, otherwise in a points race, people will ignore it and chase the easier points in other subjects(as many do).

Advertisement