Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many in your year do HL Maths?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

there's about 170 people in my year and about 60 doing HL. not too bad i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Personally I think they should lower have difficulty of honours maths a tiny bit, make it worth say 90 points, and then create and extra-honours maths that is even harder. It would be worth say 130/140 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EmmetF

Decerto wrote: »
    You should of done applied maths, you would be shocked at how maths can break down real life things into equations at only leaving cert level

I would have if my school let us. The year before I went into 5th year they pulled the topic due to lack of interest. I do HL Physics too so it woulda been real handy, pity though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Its a joke that they make the exam so hard that one a minority can attempt it at higher level. I think they should make it easier and have more people doing higher level
    Why? What difference does it make if only a minority do HL?

In my school, 15-20 out of 60 did it. About 40 did at the start of 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

EmmetF wrote: »
    UL have it right, bonus points for honours maths is the way to go.

I agree. Certainly for courses like engineering which have a high maths content. It's much more relevant than your result in English/Irish/French/Biology/Home Economics, etc.

Of course once someone gets in, if they don't know their maths and they don't have a good natural ability, they will find it a lot tougher than others.

Personally I think the Leaving Cert & college entry in Ireland is weighted too much towards people who are good at languages and/or learning stuff off.
    EmmetF wrote: »
    I've devoted so much time to maths because of this, but for me it's important cos I wanna do Civil Engineering.
    I talked to my Dad about maths in engineering today (he's one), and it's amazing how much of real world problems in engineering can be solved with differentiation and integration.

People who say you never use maths after school haven't a clue/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

2 people out of 60 i think, the rest then are ordinary, and a good lot of foundation too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭starkinter

There's an extreme difference in what proportion of various years are doing it. I think I heard somewhere the national average is 17%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lawdeedaw

does anyone know exactly how many extra points you get in ul??

we have 17 outa 70

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

aprox 10/86

but it could even be less,
    think more dropped down on the day!

its crazy
    and they're all doing grinds too!
    i know i would have been well able for it but the ONE teacher they use is just a terrible!
    and no, it is ACTUALLY cause of the teacher, cause i've been an A student in maths!

the teacher turns up to class about twice a week,
    and spends the time giving out about anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭magnia

I hate people blaming their teacher for their problems. He/she obviously doesn't come in twice a week or he/she wouldnt be teaching a leaving cert class, unless your school is a total joke which I somehow doubt if your a so called A student.

I did pass Maths and now have a degree in Software Engineering, I do believe that the students who I went to college with who did honours had a better brain for what we were doing though in college though. I just made the C1 requirement for Uni in pass maths for my course. I think only 3 or 4 did hon in my class, with only 1 passing.

Im sure everyone knows maths who did a great leaving cert and then failed honours maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

in my old skool there were

2005: 1 out of 73
    2006: 8 out of 72
    2007: 13 out of 75

in maths hl

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mongey

About 25 are left so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

14 out of 80 girls, or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

magnia wrote: »
    I hate people blaming their teacher for their problems. He/she obviously doesn't come in twice a week or he/she wouldnt be teaching a leaving cert class, unless your school is a total joke which I somehow doubt if your a so called A student.

So the teacher never is to blame? I'm confident I got a B in my honours maths but I'm quite sure I wouldn't have got it if I didn't have a good maths teacher who was able to explain things well.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Whats with the low amounts doing HL maths. It was the same in my school about 20 out of 120. Its not that hard of an exam and the paper is very fair, lots of choice. It should be fairly easy to get students to a pass level. I think most people are afraid of being on the line and just don't bother. Then again there are a lot of utterly useless maths teachers out there aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

People who solely complain about their teacher and do nothing about it and then do badly in exams. They suck
    In 5th year, we had an awful Biology Teacher, commanded no respect and didnt teach us anything. Barely came in as well. We complained and got a new teacher for 6th year.

So quit bitching, and either study harder, ask someone else for help or do something about it.

On topic: about 30/100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

9 out of about 110

Fun times!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

MattD wrote: »
    People who solely complain about their teacher and do nothing about it and then do badly in exams. They suck
    In 5th year, we had an awful Biology Teacher, commanded no respect and didnt teach us anything. Barely came in as well. We complained and got a new teacher for 6th year.

So quit bitching, and either study harder, ask someone else for help or do something about it.

On topic: about 30/100

Maybe a bit OTT but i agree in essence with what you're saying. We all get a bad teacher from time to time. There's no point whinging you just have to find some way of dealing with it. I changes classes in a couple of subjects for the leaving cert and dropped to Ordinary in one because there's no point in sticking with a teacher who you know is rubbish.

Then again teachers who command little respect still have a huge knowledge of the course so if you pay some attention, ask questions etc. it mighn't be so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭magnia

yeah we did a similar thing in 5th year.

"What do we want?"
    "Smada, out!"
    "When do we want it?"
    "Now!"

He was going mental, but similar story he wasnt a bad man or anything just couldnt control the class. That afternoon vice principal came in to talk to us and gave us a bollocking for how we treated him and told us we had all behaved like animals in his class and could any of us truthfully say we had given him a chance to teach us. But the reality of the situation is the teacher must control the classroom. Anyway he retired to be a farmer that year and we had a new teacher for 6th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 m-i-t-s-u-k-o

There's 14 of us out of 130. There used to be two teachers and a higher honours class and a lower honours class. I'm in the higher honours class and our teacher is amazing! During sixth year the numbers started to drop down and now we're at 14!

I definetly think how good a teacher you have can really decide! Our teacher left during the last month on maternity leave and our substitute was ****! If we had him for our full year no way i'd be in honours!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Langerhands

4 out of 40. again i do think its the risk of failure. we average c's in our class tho. would absolutely love a b. i think i deserve it to be honest...so much work. anyone doing HL maths knows this and i thinks it great that at least some people have the nerve to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭louise-x

9 out of about 100
    and I'm the only girl. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

louise-x wrote: »
    9 out of about 100
    and I'm the only girl. :)
    Well yeah, girls are crap at maths!
    Only 9 people? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭louise-x

Davidius wrote: »
    Well yeah, girls are crap at maths!
    Only 9 people? :pac:

lol ok well statistically there are more guys who are good at maths than girls, but i'm probably better than most of the guys in my class tbh!

yup only nine, there was 2 honours classes but so many people dropped down after the mocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

We had 15 or so sitting it out of hundred I think. So those talented pink papered people tell me. Five guys and ten girls or something. There was like twenty something of them but all the other lads dropped on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I have to say, reading through this thread is quite worrying (I'm a maths graduate). The Irish economy is designed to be knowledge-based, and leaving-cert maths is an absolutely crucial foundation for any technical education. If you want to succeed in any Science or Engineering discipline, you need a good mathematical education.

In my eyes, dropping the difficulty of HL maths would be a bad mistake. You would just see more first-year college dropouts. The difficulty is currently about the same as what you would see in first-year of college, and that is where it should stay.

If we see declining numbers of people taking HL maths, then adding bonus points for people who want to take technical or scientific subjects at university level is the way to go. I say technical subjects, because I don't believe that someone who wants to study say, classics, should get a competitive advantage for being good at maths. It would be perfectly fair to give an aspiring engineer such an advantage, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EmmetF

lawdeedaw wrote: »
    does anyone know exactly how many extra points you get in ul??

Yup, it's;
    A1 = 100 + 40 - 140
    A2 = 90 + 35 - 125
    B1 = 85 + 30 - 115
    B2 = 80 + 25 - 105
    B3 = 75 + 20 - 95
    C1 = 70 + 15 - 85
    C2 = 65 + 10 - 75
    C3 = 60 + 5 - 65

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Out of 56 students, we have three that did honours maths, myself and two lads, same as last years honours maths class with a slightly higher number of students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 blueepurple

We have about 40 in our school out of 130 total, but at the start of 5th year we had almost 90.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

9 out of 120

:D I'm the only male

Advertisement