Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many in your year do HL Maths?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

This may be stupid but.... what's ul?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 m-i-t-s-u-k-o

UL = University of Limerick

They give bonus points for doing honours maths

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EmmetF

Caoimhe89 wrote: »
    University of Limerick! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Caoimhe89 wrote: »
    The University of Limrick
    318px-University_of_Limerick_-_.jpg

I reckon they teach short witty 5 lines poems to everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ii think at the beginning of 5th year there were about 60 girls doing HL maths, I think that's dropped to about 45 now, but not entirely sure...loks like it'll drop further next year too.

I'll be clinging onto that class for dear life!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Lol! Ok... it's pretty stupid that I didn't get that... Any other colleges give extra points for honours...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Livo

there's about 120 in our year... 2 smallish classes of honours, 3 classes of pass... it's defo in the minority like. a pity, cos it's not too bad if you get help with it - i had an AWESOME grind class this year and last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

Fremen wrote: »
    I have to say, reading through this thread is quite worrying (I'm a maths graduate). The Irish economy is designed to be knowledge-based, and leaving-cert maths is an absolutely crucial foundation for any technical education. If you want to succeed in any Science or Engineering discipline, you need a good mathematical education.

In my eyes, dropping the difficulty of HL maths would be a bad mistake. You would just see more first-year college dropouts. The difficulty is currently about the same as what you would see in first-year of college, and that is where it should stay.

If we see declining numbers of people taking HL maths, then adding bonus points for people who want to take technical or scientific subjects at university level is the way to go. I say technical subjects, because I don't believe that someone who wants to study say, classics, should get a competitive advantage for being good at maths. It would be perfectly fair to give an aspiring engineer such an advantage, though.

I agree with your points with one proviso. I don't think it's an open-and-shut cases that non-technical subjects shouldn't have bonus points for maths. At the moment most people going to universities have to do three languages (English, Irish + one other) while just have to do maths
    [and the people who are good at languages but not so good at maths don't even have to count the maths subject; while the people who are good at maths will probably have to count points in two languages (unless they do eight subjects which again puts them at a disadvantage)].
    Ability in the three languages tends together.

When I studied maths in college, lots of the students had As in everything except English and Irish - some got As in French (some didn't) but to a lesser extent than some other subjects. So some might not have got into some very high point courses as a result even though they were as likely as bright as those that had got in.

If Irish was dropped as a requirement for people to study for the Leaving Cert cycle that everyone has to do it might balance things out a bit. But I don't see that happening any time soon.
    (An alternative suggestion would be that people only had to sit an English language paper to show basic ability without having to study the big English course).

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

6 out of ~50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

heighest was about 9 i tink..

one left 5th year to do ty
    one left the school
    2 dropped down

then was 5 of us untill the mocks then me n a girl dropped out

3 did it!

but hardly anyone in my year does higher level in anythin anyway...
    5 did honours irish..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 diagirl

about 23 out of 60 did it in my school...

our teacher was fantastic though, i actually found maths quite easy to understand. it was the learn by heart things, like the proofs, that probably brought me down. but i hear she's leaving next year so i'd say the number doing maths HL will drop dramatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 grazielle

at the start of 5th year we had a totally overcrowded honours class of 40 girls..
    by the end of the year we had lost around 5 or 6 people i'd say..
    at the start of 6th year we dropped like flies and by christmas there were maybe 25 max?
    after the mocks people kept dropping down and 6 people sat h/l out of 72 people.. fair play to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ian.f

about 50 out of 90... Honours math's isn't that hard if you're bothered doing practice sums and actually try to understand it instead of rote learning

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

When I did it last year we started off in 5th year with 80/120 doing HL.

I think it dropped to bout 60/120 in 6th year.

We too had higher honours and lower honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I did the LC last year...at the start of 6th year, there was about 23/97 doing HL Maths, then loads dropped after the mocks, the endfigure was about 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rob-a-tron

The class was packed in 5th I'd say near 40 ppl now its dropped to about 16ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nell_wex

10/60 girls! mixed hopes from C3s to A1s

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

no offense to the people with bigger classes, but it seems to be the "higher" schools that have more in the higher maths classes - what I mean by that is that schools who are seen to be the ones who pick and choose their students, and are not forced to take the students that are left such as the "tecs" of old. They are not neccessarily the prep schools, but the schools with more students. These schools are more in the cities and major towns rather than in rural areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

Started off with one pass class in 5th year and two retarded honours teachers and one very very talented honours teacher. (thankfully, I got the latter..)

By the end, the thirteen that managed to survive after the mocks, 9 of us were getting grinds... ridiculous to be honest. The lads school down the road had 48 out of 60 doing honours... and getting well good marks too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Thats why there is a massive difference in class size for honours maths!

Advertisement