Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help

• 03-06-2008 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

im just finished my BA in accounting n although my results were poor in 1st n 2nd year my 3rd year results are the only ones used for my final results.which are good :). i was wondering how easy it wud be to get into a masters in accounting n when i got it wud i have to train as accountant or cud i go straight into lecturing.(the dream dreadin goin into practice).. any help clarifying this wud be brilliant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

A friend of mine is now lecturing.

He did his degree in UCD and then did the masters afterwards. The masters can be hard to get into depending on class size so you should sell yourself in the application as you would if you were applying for a job. He tried getting into to lecturing straight afterwards but found it really difficult so he got a training contract with one of the big4 .... got his qualification as a CA plus 2yrs experience.... (was senior auditor I think.... all I know was he was on the big buck!)

He found it easier to get a job as a lecturer once he'd gained industry experience. So he now lectures and does some consultancy on the side as he isnt getting full hours in the college yet. Also he is now planning on starting a Phd through distance learning with Nottingham Uni I think???

Anyhoooo.... Going by him its probably easier if you can gain industry experience first and qualify as a CA

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Im only finished my degree so Im far from informed but I imagine it would be very tough going. Lecturing jobs are always hard to come by tbh.

I mean how many full time well paid accountancy lecture positions could there possibly be out there?

Best of luck with it anyway but I will say this, whatever you have of getting a position straight after a masters I reckon you would want to be something very very special indeed to get one right out of college. I just cant see that happening in a million years Im afraid but Im sure someone who knows more about it could gve you some beter advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

Babybing wrote: »
    I mean how many full time well paid accountancy lecture positions could there possibly be out there?

On that note ... babybing is right... I forgot to mention that my friend doesnt have permanancy or full hours... hence the consultancy on the side.

He's hoping that the Phd will boost him. This is something he's determined to do. Only for the consultancy work on the side he would be earning sweet F.A but his happy to do that.

I actually spoke with him last nite about this and he agrees with me. Continue with your course and then move into industry or practise to become fully qualified and then and only then should you think about it. Even he admits he was extremely lucky just to get the few lecturing hours he has.

My best mates boyf also lectures although he covers business and european business/economics. He is just finishing off his phd and still hasnt got permanancy of full time work. He's been lecturing in some shape or form for the last 6 yrs and had an interview with an IT college recently in dublin but didnt get the job.

Have you spoken to one of your lecturers about your aspirations? They may be better informed. Also you need to try get some sort iof experience. Maybe you could see if while your doing you masters if they'll allow you to get involved with some of the undergraduate workshops?? Every bit helps... Plus if you went into industry after the masters this will also look good as it shows your capability for mentoring....

Sorry I can be anymore help. :)

Advertisement